Author Topic: NEW Off Road Dumper Truck  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
NEW Off Road Dumper Truck
« on: December 06, 2005, 17:28:39 »
Hello  All  :wave:

As some of you may know I have recently been working on a new project, well it is finally finished. It certainly has been a long time in the making partly due to waiting for good weather to do the painting !! I was going to present an article on how to make this particular vehicle but it presented me with more problems than I first anticipated!!

This huge piece of construction equipment is called an off road dumper. It is used at large construction sites or quarries where huge volumes of material need to be transported quickly from one place to another. Because of the rough terrain usually found on large sites normal dumper trucks would get stuck if they ventured into an off road dumpers domain.
Due to the nature of its work and weight of the material carried these vehicles also boast a powerful engine. It also comes complete with 6 huge off road tyres to help it negotiate the mud and other obstacles it finds in its path. Because this vehicle operates within the confines of the site and does not usually stray onto public roads there is no need for a tailgate on the trailer. This means that the driver does not have to get out of the cab to unload he just tips the trailer and moves off, speeding up the transfer of material.

Please be aware that this is a Playmofriends exclusive. Please contact me before using these pictures, thank you.

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: NEW Off Road Dumper Truck
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 17:30:45 »
Here is a picture showing the back of the vehicle being tipped and another showing the joint in between the cab which allows the vehicle to be turned left and right.

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 17:33:27 »
Here are a few pictures of the dumper on the back of my own low loader trailer, these show how big the vehicle actually is.

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 17:58:50 »
I have never seen so massive a truck

Though I have seen where it might be used.

Tim, what are you planning to use the truck for?

Again, a wonderfully done custom.
I really think you should send some of your photos to geobra and get their reaction.

Meg

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 18:54:51 »
Hello  Meg

Thank you for the kind feedback it is very much appreciated. I have considered contacting Geobra before but i have never really known what to say to them.
As for the new vehicle it will most probably be put to use on the construction of a new road. I plan on doing a few photo story's showing this and if all goes to plan my new truck will be involved in moving the waste soil. By the time i come to do this i hope to have a couple more new :-X vehicles built up to take part aswell. Here is a picture of a similar vehicle from real life. These vary a great deal in style depending on who makes them but the principal stays the same.

Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 19:06:30 »
A truly magnificent creation, Tim.  Even bigger than I imagined and, as ever, the same excellent standards of workmanship as well as being an accurate reflection of the real thing.

I can imagine the R&D people at Playmobil looking at it and saying, "Oh! if only we were allowed to develop things like that!"
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 19:10:16 »
Tim,
I met a man in Minneapolis.  His name is Gordon Smuder.

Early in Playmobil's life time, Gordon just started sending them drawings/drafts of things he thought Pm could do.
He received correspndence from Hans Beck himself.
And actually was able to get som free PM out of the deal, too.
Gordons drawings were the inspiration for the Mississippi Queen riverboat.

I think all you need to do is send Geobra photos of your various customs.
Tell them what kind of trucks they are and how they are used.  Some people are not vehicle savvy, at all  (and I am one of them)
Tell them how you made them.
Say that you sent them as kind of an inspiration for PM to make more diverse trucks.
Include your address, and phone number.

I am sure you will get some type of response.

I also think Gordon should do the same.
His fire/rescue vehicles are cool, as are yours
But it helps working with a person who know how they should be kitted out.

Its just an idea, but what is worst that can happen?
Life, and your trucks are worth the risk of possible (but improbable) rejection.

Meg

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 20:12:32 »
Nice truck!!  :D

And I agree, a truck like this is something Playmobil should see.

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 17:13:40 »
Hello  Gordon, Meg, Kristian  :wave:

Sorry for the delay in replying to your very kind feedback  :). As allways it is very much appreciated and its a pleasure to be able to share my work with you. I would also like to thank you for your very kind encouragement about contacting Geobra. I will certainly be considering doing this over the next few day's.
I am hoping that i will be able to start work on my next project soon and if all goes to plan it will be even bigger !!

Regards  Tim  :D

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 19:20:01 »
Excellent custom yet again Tim.

You have managed to make something as near to a scale model of the real thing as is possible, just by using Playmo parts. Just like your low loaders I repair the tyres on these things as well, most of what we get around here are Volvo dumpers driven by crazy people, you don't want to get in their way most don't have good brakes.

So what's it going to be next, I can't wait. :) :)
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.