Author Topic: a new construction system for playmobil...  (Read 21126 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: a new construction system for playmobil...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08:56 »
:hmm:
do I repeat myself when I claim that the intention of this thread is not to decide about whether steck or sysX is the best but how to improve the (any) system?
So, you already mentioned the floor pieces that you think they could be improved. What else could be improved, what new parts would you desire?
(Next to the fact that everything is great in steck-universe...  ;) )

best,
socrates

Yes sorry socrates...i was carried away again!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ I'll read the rest of the posts and modify this message...

...After reading the rest...

I love all the ideas for system x. If playmobil does not intend to bring back steck, (is this confirmed btw? because its being discussed a lot) I am happy with all the renovations all of you have proposed!

As far as steck is concerned, appart from the floors, i'd like to see a four way connector being introduced. These are the most important changes that need to take place.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:36:58 by Wolf Knight »

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 16:22:42 »
To improve steck you could add a four way connector,
And I would also love to see 45 degree connectors along with 135 degree connectors.
This would require two new platforms however, and they may not look quite as nice.
Also, new round tower pieces would be nice,
Ones that would fit with the castle even at the same height as the other walls.

As for SysX... Well I'm with Giorginetto.
You could do everything in the pictures of SysX with steck pieces, And in all it would look nicer.
The only thing I can't see you doing with current steck pieces is the top of the Tajma Hall.

I know this is not what this thread is about,
But Steck really is a better system and Playmobil would do well by bringing it back.
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 18:38:26 »
To improve steck you could add a four way connector,
And I would also love to see 45 degree connectors along with 135 degree connectors.
This would require two new platforms however, and they may not look quite as nice.
Also, new round tower pieces would be nice,
Ones that would fit with the castle even at the same height as the other walls.

As for SysX... Well I'm with Giorginetto.
You could do everything in the pictures of SysX with steck pieces, And in all it would look nicer.
The only thing I can't see you doing with current steck pieces is the top of the Tajma Hall.

I know this is not what this thread is about,
But Steck really is a better system and Playmobil would do well by bringing it back.

they have no other chance !!!! these new castles are horrible and the sales will show it!! and the syx is problematic for castles so they will bring back steck or make a new system !!!!

the sales of the systemx 3268 lion castle were good  ??
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 21:26:18 »

(the 3rd dimension) by third dimension i mean height - we have only dealed with the "horizontal" problem.
(double negative) with "double" i meant to holes in succession - one for the "round" connector the other on top for the "square" plate. 1,25 or any other number except 1 poses the same problem: the "round" connector has to be buried deeper than the old one.

(the holes) this will have to be delt with either "camouflaging" the holes or by adding, as martin rightfuly said, by adding some kinf of decoration. maybe we should look at he holes in system-x as something incredibly good and full of possibilities instead of something bad.
(geometry)
45º walls could fit socrates and maybe the central hole could be produced in that "direction".
the problem lies on how do they "arrive" at their ends...
(facades and dimensions)
this is what needs to be adressed right now.
i don't have the measures for the base plates (could you measure them socrates) or the height of system-x walls (i keep all my "stone" buidings" in my weekend house).
the modularity that you speak socrates should also exist in the walls maybe with extra holes as martin suggests.

Okay, I think we have four problems to solve:
1. Holes on the facade...
Possible solution: Could be solved (and pimped) by a series of decorations as suggested by Martin.
2. Holes in the floor... (become even more critical as we suggest to add some more)
Possible solution: A new series of connectors (1.25 negativ).
3. Flexible angles (esp. 45', 135' turns)
Possible solution: Yet another hole into the ground floor. (details are missing yet.)
4. The third dimension (how to get scalability in the third dimension)
???

Well, I would like to motivate tonight again my approach for problem 2.
I am not sure, whether or not I was clear with my ideas, but I suggest to extend locally the hole system on the ground floors by the introduction of a new sysX connector that can fit exactly into the old wall elements like the old one did. So, the old parts can be reused for 100%. The new floor pieces will have more holes and these holes have another plateau before reaching the connector hole. That way another plug can be introduced to actuall fill the holes when not needed. In a way, these plugs are something like SysX-plugs.

I tried to sketch this with inkscape. It worked better than I expected. :)
Maybe this illustrates my idea more clearly.

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 00:27:10 »
i think i understand you totally socrates and i think everyone else does.
when i thought more or less on the same problem i thought at the same time on the walls - that's why i duplicated the 1.25 system on both heights (up and down) for the "new" 2 way connector.
my solution would of course mean new pices for everything and not the possibility to use the "old" walls.
it would mean thicker elements maybe, if base plates are to be used also with columns in their downside (does the word exist?).
i don't really know what to think.
to be able to use a lot of "old" elements would be great.
... but the need to "fill" holes is already present on some of the walls and in all the visible "thiknesses" of the base plates (specially when they are used as pavements above ground level)...
and a full modular system should imply holes in every facade at fixed "half-heights" or "quarter/3quarter heights" levels...
... so many problems.
... or maybe there is no perfect solution?
maybe my "radical" solution could be somthing like this (like the drawing) with a cube as the base module
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 04:32:44 »
So these new holes and -a-few-inch-bigger plugs will result in a better rigitity of the whole building right? Something that does not come apart easily when lifting up and moving?

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 07:53:50 »
So these new holes and -a-few-inch-bigger plugs will result in a better rigitity of the whole building right? Something that does not come apart easily when lifting up and moving?

I read this here already several times... Actually, I never had a problem with rigidness of sysX buildings. I suspect you are talking about castles walls without ground floor (like from 3268 - Lion Castle)? Because the buildings, like e.g. 3269 - Rock Castle are stable enough to move?

But, no, Wolf Knight, these new connectors are not improving stability at all, they use the same force as the plugging part did not change. We are just brainstorming about what a universal system should have from a mathematical point of view. As this would result into even more holes in sysX, my new connectors are just an idea to get the hole-on-the-floor problem solved.

best,
socrates

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 09:00:39 »
I read this here already several times... Actually, I never had a problem with rigidness of sysX buildings. I suspect you are talking about castles walls without ground floor (like from 3268 - Lion Castle)? Because the buildings, like e.g. 3269 - Rock Castle are stable enough to move?

But, no, Wolf Knight, these new connectors are not improving stability at all, they use the same force as the plugging part did not change. We are just brainstorming about what a universal system should have from a mathematical point of view. As this would result into even more holes in sysX, my new connectors are just an idea to get the hole-on-the-floor problem solved.

best,
socrates

Oh right I get it now! Sorry am really slow in mathematics... :-[ :-[

To go back to the castles, Yes the Lion castle is fairly unstable...I don't even know how many times it was accidentaly dismantled as I picked it up...(of course why should anyone pick it up on one go?) But the rock castle of very stable!! I have moved it lots of time with no problem!!!

The 3112 naval stronghold was also very stable...hmm... i probably generalise based on the experience of the lion castle...the human mind tends to keep the bad memories more vivid...

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:58 »
Possible solution for the SystemX holes:  Playmobil could make plugs to fill the holes from a soft plastic material (perhaps similar to the stuff they use for unicorn horns.)  The plugs could be in assorted matching and contrasting colors.  When it becomes necessary to remove the plugs, a screwdriver-type blade could be slipped in along the edge to pop them out. 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 19:02:39 »
Please please someone tell playmoibil to make a 4 way playmobil connector for steck !!! needed for more grand desings !!!!! surely it w
ont cost them that much to make !!!!!  :)
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: