Author Topic: a new construction system for playmobil...  (Read 20617 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: a new construction system for playmobil...
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 08:58:42 »
Gordon is quite correct to point out that plugs are just more and more fussy little parts to have to deal with.   :)  I was thinking that the plugs would be optional - available through Direct Service as Cachalote suggests - but not necessarily to be included with each boxed set.  The idea is that they would be available as an add-on for folks who want them for a finished look on their projects.  I like Socrates's comment about rigid plugs that could be pushed out from behind - do any of the current SystemX base plates or wall pieces have holes on the back or underside that would accomodate some sort of pushing device?

I hadn't realised the plugs were to be an option from DS.  I wonder, though, if enough would be sold to make them worthwhile for Playmobil to produce?  Alternatively, might Playmobil offer them in such quantities (e.g. in bags of 100) that many people would want to buy them?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 16:10:17 »
I hadn't realised the plugs were to be an option from DS.  I wonder, though, if enough would be sold to make them worthwhile for Playmobil to produce?  Alternatively, might Playmobil offer them in such quantities (e.g. in bags of 100) that many people would want to buy them?

Another great point, Gordon!  There really is no way that we can predict anything with certainty.  As a money-making company, Playmobil routinely takes risks in deciding what to make and sell.  If they choose to listen to our ideas, that gives them additional information to consider when making those decisions - how much weight they give to our ideas is ultimately up to them. 

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 16:38:35 »
It would be nice for us, and possibly profitable for them, if Playmobil did a run of certain castle Steck pieces to be sold through Direct Service, but I have to agree that Playmobil seems to be done with Steck as far as new sets go.  Should we therefore be focusing on System X?  I know it's not a perfect system, but neither is Steck.  I really do like the Steck plug idea!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 16:29:07 »
I think a pettition would work well, just to see where we all stand.
Also we can tell how popular each system is. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 11:33:41 »
i asked sylvia  :love: to move this thread to this section so that it could create some synergies with:

"system x designer wanted" - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=5760.0
"steck designer wanted" - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4514.0
"another idea for a new Playmobil construction system" - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4677.0

let´s see if it will work, steck and system-x together.  ;)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Vauban

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 15:29:44 »
I hope I'm right here  ;)

My thoughts about a new construction system are:

There is no need for a new system. There are two really good systems, but both need new parts (or for steck: new sets  ;)) - and not these big parts you can use only in one kind for an building.

Look at Sys-X: you can realise with this system all kinds of buildings from the Romans to the modern life. But it wood be a great help, if there wood be a wall element with the scale of the 4x4 square baseplate. The higher walls are just one unit to small.

There are not enough different roof-parts available. With the "Roof wall section, triangular with round window opening"-part of the church in a stone-optic like the castles you could build at least medieval (stone-)houses. And I dream about a real framework-house in sys-x with "small" parts not like Farmhouse with Market Stall or the forrest lodge . These parts were horrible, to big and not usable in differant ways.

And naturally we need all kinds of rounded walls and roofs.

The (main) way for sys-x should be a wall-connector-system like the steck-system and as an addition many of small parts to give an individual view of the buildings.

To the steck-sys: there are quiet similar thoughts: different roof-parts are needed, 45°/ 135°-connectors and a frameworks-wall with windows AND with male connectors, more round parts, a half-high wall and so on, and so on...

Greetings

Vauban
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 15:37:04 by Vauban »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 15:32:39 »
Its an interesting assesment Volker! You are right, there are things missing... maybe we should ask ''what is sytem x lacking'' insted of demanding a change back in old system or developing a new one! Very good perspective!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 15:33:06 »
wow, those are three beautiful examples of the wonderful buildings that can be created with the two existing building systems!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 17:50:17 »
You make a good case, Volker, and those buildings are outstanding.  And, Panos, you ask a very pertinent question. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 19:29:45 »
. . . There is no need for a new system. There are two really good systems, but both need new parts (or for steck: new sets  ;)) - and not these big parts you can use only in one kind for an building. . .

I agree with you 100%, Vauban!  I think that both Steck AND SystemX are good building systems, as your beautiful buildings perfectly illustrate.  What is needed, as you say, are some new parts as well as the ability to order spare parts of existing pieces.  If Playmobil sees that people will buy these, then we may eventually persuade them that Playmobil is a building system as well as a "role play" toy.

If we are able to request parts, even just a few to begin with (such as the gray stone 4-way connector, for example, which has already had a fan-based campaign to have it produced) then that can potentially build into a larger enterprise. 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts