Author Topic: fairies are out yay  (Read 11210 times)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Re: fairies are out yay
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:10 »
Calling all fairy fans: the six new sets are now COMPLETELY inventoried and pictured, thanks to Jochen, who sent instructions, and Sylvia, who typed lists, looked up description after description, and cut out all the little pictures.  THANKS!!

PlaymoDB Sets By Theme - Fairy World
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 16:34:05 »
I've discovered something about the large willow tree today which could be useful information for anyone thinking of ordering some. :)

The connector used to join the smaller willow tree to the land base also fits perfectly inside the base of the larger tree trunk. This means the large willow tree can be placed into any hole of the correct size (think it's 8mm diameter) using this connector. 8-)

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 18:51:36 »
The connector used to join the smaller willow tree to the land base also fits perfectly inside the base of the larger tree trunk. This means the large willow tree can be placed into any hole of the correct size (think it's 8mm diameter) using this connector. 8-)

That's exactly the way this trunk is fixed onto the base plate in the new dino set 4175...    ;)
Sorry, sylvia, I am coming up to it, because I learned it just yesterday. :)

@heather: I am not really sure, how do you exactly need the lists and the images cut out, but in general I would be willing to help you as well. :)
I realized, sometimes you already have the instructions but no inventoried pieces. are you distributing the plans to volunteers on demand?
what about a little tutorial, here at playmofriends? :)

best
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 01:59:07 »
@heather: I am not really sure, how do you exactly need the lists and the images cut out, but in general I would be willing to help you as well. :)
I realized, sometimes you already have the instructions but no inventoried pieces. are you distributing the plans to volunteers on demand?
what about a little tutorial, here at playmofriends? :)

best
socrates

Hi Socrates,

Thanks for volunteering!  The far-and-away most time-consuming step is making the list of parts.  Just a list that looks like the "Show text-only list" page linked at the top of inventory-pages will suffice:

Part #       Count   Name
--              --   --
30 02 6140   1x    Ground with 3 holes for mushroom stems (light green)
30 02 6460   1x    Fern leaves, small (inner) (light green)
30 02 6480   1x    Fern leaves, large (outer) (light green)
30 02 7120   1x    Hedgehog, mama (brown; tan)
30 02 7130   2x    Hedgehog, baby (brown; tan)
30 07 9740   1x    Mushroom stems (white)
30 10 2150   1x    Boy, white top & frilly collar, green shorts
30 27 7420   1x    Tree stump, hollow, large (dark brown)
30 64 5930   1x    Mushroom caps, spots (red)
30 65 2752   1x    Hat, mushroom-shaped (child-size) (red/white; white spots)
30 88 9252   1x    Instructions for 4194

Any format, separator, program, whatever you're comfortable with.  (I use Excel, because it's so easy to filter and sort with.)  Sylvia was very meticulous about what she named parts, by going back and searching for similar parts already in the database, but just a word or two to indicate which part you mean is sufficient to aid proofreading. I am also picky about names and may change them if I see fit; and some may already exist (or exist in a different colour, which should get the same name), so the name doesn't need to be re-invented. The colour and quantity are important.  For sets with more than, say, eight pages, I also note the page number the part is found on, to aid proofreading and to help find the correct little picture to crop.

The little pictures: also beautifully done for these sets by Sylvia.  I crop a rectangle around the part and its number and shrink it to 100 pixels high.  (I don't expand smaller ones, because I can then search on size and find ones that need improved quality.)  I reduce the colour palette to 16 colours and save as a non-transparent GIF, with the number as the file name: "30 88 9252.gif".    (I don't shrink or de-colour klickies or stickers, usually.)  This makes the graphic file really small, under 1 K in some cases, and when you are showing pictures for a 100+part set you'll appreciate that!  The instruction thumbnail I make by making 100-pixel-high copies of all the pages and sticking them together; if the result is ridiculously wide I'll make a second or even third row.  Instructions aren't de-coloured either, since the result is universally ugly.  I can almost always do all of these steps with IrfanView, a simple free Windows program.

So, either or both of these chunks can be done by volunteers.  Use your own instructions, or I'll send you a set you'd like to tackle.  Once you send me a list, I have to check for each part's existence, create the part (with category and subcategory) if it doesn't exist, and add the part to the set.  I can make pictures or process ones you make, afterwards.  Other jobs: scanning, see above; translating German-named parts to English (the German names are kept, if I ever get a bilingual site running); submitting invoices from Direct Service that show parts I don't have; filling in missing pictures; categorizing TO BE ASSIGNED parts, imported wholesale from playmobil.de but mostly not yet put into sets (use existing cat/subcat names); take detailed pictures of klickies without accessories and/or write up descriptions of their body-parts a la Who's That Klicky.  (For this last, make absolutely sure the hair/beard (nor anything else!) has been altered from the factory settings.)  Some sets have a lot of parts but the hand-count is not known, and therefore can't be marked COMPLETE; these just need verification, so you can copy the list from "show text-list only" and fill in any blanks.

How's that?  Think you can find something to help with, out of all that?  Any contribution warmly welcomed; just let me know what you're up to and feel free to ask questions.

Good grief, what an essay.  I should make it into a webpage on the site, for visitors who don't pass through here.  I'll add it to the list.

Cheers, Heather
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline retronio22

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 16:39:00 »
Even though it's an old set,I love fairies and generally magic themes!!!!!!