Author Topic: DS 2021  (Read 9124 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: DS 2021
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 19:06:24 »
Just looked at the pics - the viking tents with Indians isn't a May-ism, I think it's just the sloppiness we've seen for a number of years now. Just a lack of caring. Note too that one of the Vikings has a buffalo headdress (buffalo in Norway  :lol:) not to mention a Vikingette with no head protection.  :doh:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 19:11:23 »
When I first saw the pics, my idea was fakes too - but considering the source, I thought they were probably legit...

The klickys are especially odd choices...

And yes, the playmoindians are the indians from the movies of my childhood.. so maybe that is why I don't find them abnormal.. those are the indians I grew up with as well.

Looking forward to pics of the vikings and the firehorsy, especially...

(I like the "vikingette"... well.. if done right :P )

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 19:22:59 »
Vikings having visited the European mainland would have potentially had contact with European Bison (Wisent) so actually plausible.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 19:35:43 »
 :(o):

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 08:50:20 »
My wallet is safe.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 10:11:36 »
I have very little knowledge about Native cultures – the inconsistencies Ismene pointed out would have flown straight under my radar. I think what Macruran explained about the romanticization of Indians applies to most of Europe. Even then, the viking tents are a most unsightly element... if the definitive version is unchanged, that set was phoned in big time.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 17:37:32 »
The Knights & Pirates are also a romanticization of reality.
Georbra is catching up though on some aspects: the new DS-Indians seem to have the more realistic (dark) Asian skin-colour.

Tahra, thanks for the news and the link to Amclicks.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 19:53:17 »
Georbra is catching up though on some aspects: the new DS-Indians seem to have the more realistic (dark) Asian skin-colour.

Right, but my point is that that romanticisation is itself a reality. Becoming "more realistic" is moving away from the romantic image towards an image that is closer to historical facts - it's swapping one idea for another idea. (The real reality is that no Indians live in the traditional ways anymore, but sets representing real modern Indians would not sell well.)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 01:16:39 »
The Viking-Tents-with-the-Indians is a little odd. I assume there's a technical/cost issue with original Tee-Pee, but I'm not sure that the set would lose anything by not having the tents at all. I'd think they were left over from something, but I think they're new in white?

I'm quite fond of the 'Little Town' theme, so nice to have the empty building (though it'd be nice to have the extra floors available too, since they make a bit of a point of the inter-changeability of them).

The biggest change seems to be including figures with the sets. Not a great deal to get excited about though.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 08:14:31 »
The "movie Indians" excuse may have worked 40 years ago. In 2020, it just comes off as lazy and insensitive. Your average modern-day child is not going to be nostalgic for old westerns. How do you sell a fantasy image to a market that has no reference for it? And on the USA site at least, these sets are being marketed as "Native Americans" not white guys with makeup and feathers (which is what most Indians in old westerns were).

Sure, but I'd be weirded out if the knight sets came with cacti, much like I find the bananas in that Ancient Greek set discordant. Lava catapults are fantasy. Complete disregard for geography is sloppiness.

(The real reality is that no Indians live in the traditional ways anymore, but sets representing real modern Indians would not sell well.)
These are clearly meant to be set in the past. The reality of tribal lands is pretty bleak right now.