Author Topic: 5863 Castle Super Set  (Read 7426 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
5863 Castle Super Set
« on: December 16, 2009, 16:55:22 »

The 5863 is very similar to the 4133 Super Set that Andi reviewed back in April 2006 here: 
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=663.0

Ther only difference I can see is the figures, this set comes with only 3 figures not 4, and they're different figures, so here's a close up:

The attacker is the 30 00 1322 War Duke from the 3268 Knight's Empire Castle, the two defenders are simpler figures, but useful as they fit into many possible groupings. I'm tempted to swap their legs over to give one heavily armoured knight and one much lighter armoured archer.

A question asked of Andi was, can you build a Steck tower on top of the base? The answer is yes, but not using the lugs provided. You can however fit a 1x1 tower inside the existing battlements:

I've used open side pieces for clarity, and you can see that the trapdoor still opens. The tower fits very neatly inside the battlements, and a blob or two of blu-tac suffice to prevent slippage. 

The 4133 set is still available in several shops I've looked in, so it's a matter of figure preference whether you go for that or this version, but either set makes a very nice small outpost with lots of play value.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 5863 Castle Super Set
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 17:20:41 »
Hi Martin  :elf:

Wow once you hit the shores of the US you really are soaking up all the special sets Target and TRU has to offer. This is a nice set and I have found it to be a decent value as well. I think it is listed at $20 and I usually apply some discount to it that puts it to $16. If you are going to be buying a lot at Target one thing you can do is get "Rain Checks" for items on sale . The max # you can get is 9 and I get them even if it is for an item I do not want. I use the discount and have it used for a "Substitute Item" and I get the % off any other Playmobil item  ;) most are usually 21% or 24% but some are 33% off. It really adds up after a while.

Thanks for the review of a neat little out-post and the demo on how a Steck's tower fits into it. A couple of these on the banks of a hill overlooking a trail leading to a large castle is how I envision using them

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 19:15:39 »
Hi Martin  :elf:

This is a nice set . A couple of these on the banks of a hill overlooking a trail leading to a large castle is how I envision using them

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

I agree 100%. Agggrrrr why cant we get these over here also. best outpost i have seen and spot on a few of them along a way to a large castle  along side a forrest set up seems  ideal. lovely klickies too . :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 19:25:21 by Giorginetto »
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 20:35:08 »
Nice review Martin, interesting the way the tower fits inside. Also interesting that you managed to come up with a Steck tower after being here less than a week. Your container isn't due for some time yet is it?

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 00:49:04 »
Nice review Martin, interesting the way the tower fits inside. Also interesting that you managed to come up with a Steck tower after being here less than a week. Your container isn't due for some time yet is it?

No, the container isn't due for another month. I could have carried some Steck in my luggage, but it's about time for a little confession, so...

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=3860.new

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:27:09 »
Nice review, Martin; many thanks.  I especially like the blue lion knight in that set - a great suit of amour and helmet, the sort you'd expect a king to be wearing, not just a duke.  I wonder if a Playmobil crown would fit on that helmet and then with the figure mounted you have just the job for a king.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:52 »
Thank you for the review Martin, I did not appreciate the differences between the two sets till you pointed them out. Glad to see you are acclimating so well!  :lol:  :snowman: :snowman:

Gepetto  :rudy:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 15:17:47 »
Nice review, Martin; many thanks.  I especially like the blue lion knight in that set - a great suit of amour and helmet, the sort you'd expect a king to be wearing, not just a duke.  I wonder if a Playmobil crown would fit on that helmet and then with the figure mounted you have just the job for a king.

He's called a War Duke on Playmodb so I struck with that title, but that's not a title given him by Playmobil. He also appears as a supporting character in an upcoming Playmobil Nintendo DS game.

The main difference between these sets is you can but 4133 direct from Playmobil and most shops, but 5863 appears to be a TRU exclusive. Having got one 5863 I'll probably add a 4133 to have a pair of guard towers.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:52:28 »

The 5863 is very similar to the 4133 Super Set that Andi reviewed back in April 2006 here: 
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=663.0

Ther only difference I can see is the figures, this set comes with only 3 figures not 4, and they're different figures, so here's a close up:

I thought that this set looked somewhat familiar ...  :eh?:

Thanks for the review, Martin. I really like the figures (even though there's one less) much better in this set. However, since I already have the set that Andi reviewed, it would be difficult for me to justify buying this one too.

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:56 »