Author Topic: Displaying Playmobil - an idea to consider  (Read 4271 times)

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Displaying Playmobil - an idea to consider
« on: November 26, 2011, 15:06:18 »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this because it's not really an exhibition but other members asking about putting on an exhbition and saying they wish they had somewhere to set up displays gave me an idea.

Some of you may remember that last Christmas I put on a 'show' of my Christmas/Winter themed Playmobil for two local schools - this was the first one...

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=6372.msg96485#msg96485

The second one had each dfisplay on seperate tables and included a ski slope.

This year I've been asked to do the same again for another local village school, which I am thrilled to be able to do because I have more Playmobil to use and  ideas for other small displays including using the Santa Claus Steamboat (Thank you for that Gis!)

Back to the idea I had.  Some members were saying how they would love to set up a diorama at an exhibition or similar, but has anyone thought of asking their local school if they would like something setting up for the children to see? 
It could be something that fits in with the curriculum or just a display for the children's enjoyment, especially towards the end of term when perhaps not as much emphasis is put on school work and there is more free time for the children to view a display.

Just a thought, but I get so much pleasure out of setting up even a small display and I'm sure many of you would too.

Unless the school has an area where things can be left say overnight (if you dare risk that!) it is hard work and you need to be very organised, small items needed to be fastened in place beforehand and everything seperated as to where it would go. 
The displays I did were set up with my husband's help in under 90 minutes! 
At the second one, the children spent possibly an hour going round looking at the scenes and then the Playmo was dismantled and packed away in even less time.

Hard work for such a short time, but worth it to see the look on the childrens' faces.

Anyway, with no where else to display your Playmobil perhaps this is an option to consider.

I'm setting mine up on the 16th December so I'll take plenty of photos to post. I'm getting excited about it already!  :yippee:

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Displaying Playmobil - an idea to consider
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 16:03:41 »
That's a great idea Elaine :yup:!

I remember sitting on a street bench after setting up my Playmobil firefighting toy store display one evening & seeing children dragging their parents by their hand to the front window then pointing & laughing together! It was a very joyful moment for me ;D! BTW, the store owner said they had a large increase of Playmobil firefighting theme toys during it's exhibition in their window when I went to the store to disassemble it, mission accomplished ;)!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 16:41:01 »
I'd love to make a diorama for people in general to see and enjoy but personally I don't like putting my collection (even less loose displayed figures) close to any kid, or a place full of tons of kids like a school   :(o): :omg: :(o):

Elaine, let us know how your project unfolds and don't forget to show us some of it :picsplz:
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 17:52:06 »
Its a really great idea Elaine, and congratulations on managing doing it so well!

Unfortunately for us, there are so many restrictions on doing something like that, mainly to do with public law, taxation etc, its quite complicated, but if you are not a professional decorator, or you are not associated with the school in some way, not to mention impossible to convice a public school you are not doing this for money, and since they are always on strict budgets, you cannot persuade them to do it... and even if they do let you there are financial laws that can have you running around in circles...

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 18:30:09 »
Many schools, at least here in the states, have locked display cabinets in various places in the halls, and you might be able to set up a display in one of them.  I would contact the principal of your local schools to ask them.  Usually the schools have themes for the display cases and various teachers are assigned a "month".  Often times teachers are frazzled for time trying to get their regular tasks completed so some might like having help with their month.  You might follow a theme, and incorporate student's work, for example setting up the school at the beginning of the year, could be accompanied by student essays and drawings of "what I did this summer" that could be added after the display is up, and in fact they could be rotated.
kaethe

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 18:32:24 »
It's all about finding the time, as usual ::) :-\

Damo :)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 18:46:11 »
Towards the very end of the year, a summer vacation theme would be cool, showing swimming pools, vacation homes, bike rides, the beach, grandma's house, playgrounds, even a summer camp, whatever you felt like doing.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 19:23:20 »
Just been to Tremadog School with the Christmas layout for their Christmas fund raising evening.
The children were charged 50 pence to operate a train for 2 minutes. This raised £20 for the school funds in about 2 hours.
The new Christmas boat has been placed on the end of the layout.
If you want to see it go to my web site and the Christmas layout page. The scroll down to Tremadog 2011.
www.walts-platmobil-collection.me.uk

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 19:51:26 »
I'd love to make a diorama for people in general to see and enjoy but personally I don't like putting my collection (even less loose displayed figures) close to any kid, or a place full of tons of kids like a school   :(o): :omg: :(o):

Exactly!  Not even with a electrified fence!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 22:32:55 »
Yeah, I wouldn't want any of my playmobil where kids could touch it, either! But as kaethe says, schools around here do tend to have glass display cases, meant for displaying everything from trophies to kids' artwork, but they are often left completely empty. So I would consider it if they were all in locked glass cabinets for children to just look at.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.