Author Topic: Roman Ladies  (Read 8564 times)

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
Re: Roman Ladies
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 18:24:45 »
De bello playmobil ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 19:01:15 by Ali Baba »
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 01:49:22 »
Wonderful customs Justindo, thank you for sharing them with us. I am increasingly glad that I stocked up on those Nativity sets.  ;D  :wave:

Thank you for those links Gordon, good reading!  :wave:

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 02:46:25 »
Great customs Justindo!!!  :wow:  Every figure has a unique thing in them!

Baden  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 04:58:10 »
Klickus, again you are over simplyfiyng things.

Sure there was Greek writing on egyptian temples. Go look for yourself, as I did. Furthermore Hieroglyphs on temples were in the official ritual writing. These hieroglyphs were not used in daily life. They used demotic writing for daily use. And for daily use, in ptolemeaic times, greek was also used. Or are you not familiar with the Rosetta stone? It is in Hieroglyphs (official writing), demotic and greek and it is from the ptolemaic era.

As for seafaring, there is a nice book on Egyptian seafaring:

Cedar, Frankincense and Spoils of War: Seafaring in Ancient Egypt"
For release: March 2, 2010
For press information, contact the Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology, 901/678-2555

And an tv show and exhibit in the Cairo museum of archeology:

http://allaboutegypt.org/2010/01/exhibit-and-tv-show-about-seafaring-in-ancient-egypt/

No, Ali Baba, again you are misinterpreting what I am saying.  I did not say that they Egyptians never went to sea.  There is plenty of evidence that they obtained goods from faraway places (e.g. cedars from Lebanon).  I am asserting that that was not commonplace.  They could sail the oceans; they were just not as good at it as the Greeks, Phoenicians, Persian, and Romans.  If you really think they are, then show me Egyptian colonies, show me historical writings by any culture that they engaged in regular extensive trade around the Mediterranean.

As for the Greek writings, remember I said that the Ptolemies (except for Cleopatra) disdained Egyptian culture.  And I find it insulting that you think I am not aware of the Rosetta Stone.  Your entire tone throughout this debate has been disrespectful and insulting.

Furthermore, this evades the original hypothesis that Egyptians could be found in Rome prior to the Roman annexation.  Show me the Roman writings.  Show me the Roman artwork.  I'm willing to concede.

Okay.  Listen.  If you really want to debate this further, this is not the appropriate thread.  You can start a new topic of your own in the Playfree Zone.  I won't visit it, but you can start one and make all the arguments you want.  You can even make more disparaging remarks about me to your heart's content. 

I don't visit Playmofriends to debate history.  I come here to hang out with Playmobil fans and see what they are doing.  I don't get particular enjoyment from debates.  I find them odious, trivial, and definitely not fun.

I'll tell you what.  I'll let you have the parting shot in this debate.  I will not respond so you can have the last word.  That way, you can move on as I am about to do...

Hey Justindo, I love your customs!  Very impressive!   :wow:
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 05:50:38 »

Furthermore, this evades the original hypothesis that Egyptians could be found in Rome prior to the Roman annexation.  Show me the Roman writings.  Show me the Roman artwork.  I'm willing to concede.

I think things are getting unnecessarily heated here, without blaming any one of you.  Remember, discussion through the written word is much more open to misunderstanding than discussion face to face.

I made the suggestion about using the Egyptian figures and playmo1989 queried whether there would have been Egyptians in Rome.  This was my answer:

Egypt was a Roman province from 30BC so it seems likely that some Egyptians would have been in Rome and there were arenas in  foreign cities as well as Rome itself.

playmo1989 suggested that if there were, they would be slaves, to which I replied:

I would have thought that there might be Egyptians in Rome both as, for example, foreign traders and as slaves.

Nowhere did I suggest that the interchange between Rome and Egypt occurred before 30 BC or before Egypt became a Roman province or before Rome became an Empire (I'm no Roman expert!).  I did point out that there were arenas in areas of the Empire other than Rome, including Egypt I imagine.

Looking through KM's posts and Gis's posts both agree that there might be Egyptians in Rome during the later stages of the Roman Empire, although there probably wouldn't be a lot of them, but not during earlier periods, so the discussion has really got lost a bit (like this post, maybe) in where it's going, so let's all shake hands and step back.

(PS: And I suspect that I'm going to regret this post.  :()
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 14:49:37 »
I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have bought that arena :-[ >:D  8} :o  ;D

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 17:34:51 »

Excuse me kind sir, I am new to you beautiful city! Can you direct me to the Colosseum please? .....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I told you it would make a great photo story!!!)  :D :D :D

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 19:17:56 »
where is this hat from that the pharow wears??
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 19:32:12 by playmo1989 »
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 19:29:25 »

This is the Double Crown of Egypt, or the Pschent...Egypt was divided in two kingdoms... The Upper and Lower Egypt... When the two kingdoms were unified, the two crowns were also unified, (Upper Egypt White Crown and Lower Egypt Red Crown) so that the Pharaoh would wear it!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 19:36:55 by Wolf Knight »

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 19:31:38 »
Perhaps you'd like to modify you post Alex so that it shows no picture? It might be annoying for some to see the picture three times... ;)

This is the Double Crown of Egypt, or the Pschent...Egypt was divided in two kingdoms... The Upper and Lower Egypt... When the two kingdoms were unified, the two crowns were also unified, (Upper Egypt White Crown and Lower Egypt Red Crown) so that the Pharaoh would wear it!

yes but from which set is it?
The spirits rule !!!!