Author Topic: Another New Figure, 70607, & Another New Controversy  (Read 2254 times)

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
Another New Figure, 70607, & Another New Controversy
« on: March 10, 2021, 15:02:13 »

"Totally wrong": fuss about the new Playmobil set - criticism on the net

ZIRNDORF - Playmobil wants to keep up with the times - and is now offering an "Influencer" figure set. Children should be able to imitate the life of a star on social media. The internet is discussing: Is it age-appropriate - or is it already teaching adolescents superficiality?

A woman is standing in front of a reflex camera, behind her is a blackboard with make-up tips next to a laptop, headlights are supposed to provide perfect illumination. With this picture, Playmobil is promoting a new figure set. "Social Media Star" is what it says, children should be able to play influencers with it. "Every day she produces new videos in her room, gives make-up tips and tells about her life," writes Playmobil on its homepage. "The number of her fans is growing steadily, which is why she has bought a professional camera and headlights. This is how the next video will be a hit."

For just under eight euros, at least that's Playmobil's idea, children can imitate the supposedly exciting life of an influencer in the future. The Franconian toy manufacturer is thus keeping up with the times, Youtubers, for example, are real stars, especially with young people. But: How educationally valuable is such a set?

Criticism - and some support for Playmobil

In the social networks, the protest forms only hours after the announcement post for the toy. "I think the set itself is borderline, because in my opinion it completely contradicts the previous company (Horst Brandstätters) philosophy and gives the children the wrong picture," writes one woman, for example. "But then to present it in such a way that it is great and that your professional dream should be to become an influencer is totally wrong."

The debate is smoldering in the comment column - and the criticism of Playmobil is growing. "At a time when photo filters and superficialities are dominated anyway, I don't have to sell it to the children as a good and worthwhile dream," it says in one article. But some also put it into perspective. "I wouldn't recommend a career as a social media star to my child either, but I find the criticism difficult to understand", writes a Facebook user. "Realistically, these media are part of the everyday life of a large number of households.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Another New Figure, 70607, & Another New Controversy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 20:56:52 »
Thanks for your post.

But ... sigh ... it seems as people seek something to critique in everything.

Police with side arms; isn't that promoting Police-violence?
Or is a Doctors set pushing kids to too high goals that most of us can't reach.

IMHO - A toy is never educational: it's a toy. It becomes educational when it is used that way.
let the kids play and watch them; and if they start going into unhealthy territoty; educate them in a playfull manner. I remember something with my kids that, when their 'Police' became very violent towards the knight, I asked my kids if there weren't rules for the Police too?

Mark
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 22:34:48 »
I think it's a cheap set for playmobil. Yeah, lets get the airheaded pink idiots into being an internet nullity (is nullity a word?). Yay. Yes.

Or maybe I'm just old. :P

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 00:48:09 »
I have a few ideas for additional (a)social media sets... >:D  ;D

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 08:35:18 »
Social media reviews are part of 21st century life. Sometimes they are really useful in showing details that you can't see in the item listing and pointing out pros/cons that you wouldn't know until you get the item in hand - much like the reviews we do on Playmobil. Also, YouTube tutorials can be a lifesaver, like "how do I XYZ in this software?" explained by real people and not translated through multiple layers of Google Translate.

But why, oh why did they go with this stereotypical pink-pink-kiss-kiss-hearts look?! Wouldn't it be so much cooler if she was a toy reviewer? Or if she was doing a DIY tutorial? There was potential, but they dropped it.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 09:02:12 »
But why, oh why did they go with this stereotypical pink-pink-kiss-kiss-hearts look?! Wouldn't it be so much cooler if she was a toy reviewer? Or if she was doing a DIY tutorial? There was potential, but they dropped it.

Exactly. She's meant to be an airhead, like all the pink "girls" mag "shopping girls". (lame shopping girls, I might add - one tiny little bag?! Please. :P )

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 15:58:44 »

If the goal is to be "relevant" to today's kids, I think they should have gone with a Billie Eilish set.  She and her brother Finneas gained real life mega success by posting their music on the internet. 

Plus you gotta love a girl whose full name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell!   :clap: :captain:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 12:04:23 »
I agree with you ...It was definitely possible to improve this idea a lot; what a pity. A toy reviewer is such a great idea, Ismene!
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 13:47:17 »
I actually think a Toy Reviewer would come in for more criticism - it might look like Playmobil are making a set to encourage kids to make YouTube reviews of Playmobil sets. Anyway, isn't the joy of Playmobil that you can give her a tool set or a cooking bowl and 'Boom!', she's a different type of Vlogger.

I'm pretty indifferent to this set. I used to pretend to be on TV when I was a kid. Kids want to be pop stars or footballers or actors, I don't think this is any different.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 02:39:20 »
Such a set would never be criticized in the US!  :lol:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: