Author Topic: Updated 3182 turntable ladder  (Read 2420 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Updated 3182 turntable ladder
« on: January 04, 2010, 15:52:27 »
As well as updating the old style DS turntable ladder to make use of the new 4825 accessories and other parts, I've also done a similar job on the 3182 fire engine so here are some pics, starting with the front view showing the repainted radiator grille and retaining clip of the light bar to give the same livery as on the 3880 pumps where I've replaced these parts with the equivalent white plastic parts from the THW version of the 3880 (an idea I copied from Bill).  Then a right side view showing the ventilator fan stowage and rear-mounted hose reel, and last, a left hand view showing the generator.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Updated 3182 turntable ladder
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 16:02:57 »
Some detail shots now, starting with the winch.  In the past I've fitted a holder for the winch hook to the front bumper, copying what Playmobil did on the 3181 fire 4x4.  However, it struck me that fitting the holder to the side of the winch mount was a better position and this will be applied to the 3880 winches too.

Under the rescue cage on the ladder, I've fitted a floodlight, something I've meant to do for some years but only now plucked up courage to actually drill a hole to mount the lamp bracket rather than just glueing it on.

On the sides of the ladder itself, holders have been fitted to take the new, large fire axe and the ceiling hook.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 16:11:09 »
The 4825 hose reel has been mounted on the rear of the chassis by removing the tow hook and glueing a length of Plastruct across the space and then glueing a lamp mounting plate
(http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-05-4980)
to it after sawing off the bracket for the lamp.

The ever useful double clip is used to fit a hydrant key to the frame of the hose reel mount on one side and to secure the hose itself on the other.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 16:20:44 »
Finally, some photos of the extra equipment carried.  (The stretcher is usually carried on the top of the rescue cage but isn't fitted at the moment. On the new turntable ladder, the stretcher is carried inside the storage compartment which is a good change in design.)

In the storage compartment, a chainsaw, fuel can and two hose ramps are carried.  Unfortunately there is no room for any traffic cones.

The generator fits neatly into the storage space behind the control area of the ladder, although a thin plastic packing piece is needed to keep it level.  The ventilator fan fits in the storage space on the other side of the ladder.  The best fit is with the handle facing outward, and the most practical as the handle is then easily taken hold of for removing the fan.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these changes.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 16:33:07 »
Hi Gordon  :wave:

Yet another great custom job on outfitting your fire crew's vehicles  :clap:

Thanks for sharing your talents
   Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 19:33:36 »
Wonderful job Gordon! Your work is seamless, thank you for sharing this with us.  :wave:

Gepetto

Offline 2005huysmans

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 19:38:16 »
it's wonderful

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 20:36:41 »
Thats excellent Gordon!!!  :wow:  :wow:

Graet custom!!!

Baden  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 22:29:49 »
Some excellent ideas using the new up coming theme parts, Gordon! I'm very partial to the 3879 & 3182 series of Tower Ladders! There are some new ideas like storing the rescue stokes basket inside the equipment compartment that I think is a major improvement to prior versions! I'm glad my ideas were useful to carry over to this project as with the 3880 engines  :)9!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!