Author Topic: BIG (Tom Hanks movie) - Playmobil spotted in FAO Schwartz scene  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
In the scene just after Tom Hanks meets the his boss, as they're talking about a "Championship Air Hockey", they walk along an aisle with giant rotating Playmobil figures.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: BIG (Tom Hanks movie) - Playmobil spotted in FAO Schwartz scene
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 16:52:48 »
I would like to see but I really do not want to rent the movie . I will check the Public Library and see if they have it .

Thanks for the tip, It is a silly kind of enjoyment to see Playmobil on the big screen. I guess at this point in many collectors lives  :-[ it would be similar to seeing a relative or friend in a movie :munch:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tiger1983uk

• The Lurker
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 17:00:39 »
I saw Playmobil on Seinfeld the other day, it was in the one where Kramer is playing Santa Claus at the department store. ;D
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 17:01:48 »
One of my favorite movies ever  :love: !!! I saw it long before I ever visited NYC as it dates from the mid-eighties but is still great entertainment for all the big Kids at heart that we all are  :D :D...

Here is the Giant Playmobil Alley and here is the Legendary Piano Scene :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x8trg3Eyto

For those visiting the Big Apple, a visit to F.a.o Schwarz 5th Avenue is a must !!! I saw Jaclyn Smith and Judith Light shopping there back in the 90's :love:...

History

More than 145 years ago, Frederick August Otto Schwarz, namesake of the world-famous retailer FAO Schwarz and his three brothers from Westphalia, Germany founded FAO Schwarz, opening their first shop in Baltimore, Maryland. From there, each of the brothers opened a Schwarz "Toy Bazaar" — in Philadelphia, Boston and New York. The FAO Schwarz New York location was destined to dominate the family business. FAO Schwarz went on to issue its first catalog for their loyal clientele in 1876, and a few years later moved its New York store to a more prominent location in the once fashionable shipping hub of Union Square, finding itself among reputable neighbors such as Tiffany & Co. and other fine retailers. Over the next hundred years, FAO Schwarz expanded its national presence with a store in the renowned Forum Shops at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, and grew its international reputation through beautiful catalogs and an exciting website. Today, FAO Schwarz has evolved from a simple toy store into a must-see, distinguished destination, enchanting customers and creating memories that last a lifetime through its stores, catalogs and website experiences.

Our flagship store in New York City opened at its current location in 1986, in the landmark General Motors Building at the corner of 58th Street and 5th Avenue. Although most people think of this particular location as "the home" of FAO Schwarz, this is in fact only the latest incarnation of the FAO Schwarz store, whose history includes six other locations within Manhattan over the course of 100 years. Prior to its current location, FAO Schwarz was located across 58th Street, in what is now the Bergdorf Goodman Men's Store.

The Old Man Himself

Karim ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 17:26:28 by playmovictorian »
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 17:25:56 »
Thanks Karim , I see some great sets in there , just I do not remember their voices sounding like that  ;)
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 17:30:40 »
Tiger was it this one ? Kramer

Thanks Karim I always forget about YouTube since google bought it

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 17:36:19 »
Hi Ras  :wave:

I had not seen this movie for at least 12 to 13 years and did not remember the voices too but one has to keep in mind that Tom Hanks character is a little boy trapped in a grown up man's body after a visit to a a magic wish machine in a Fun Fair ? The moment when he wakes up the first morning and discover that he has grown up by 10 years or so and is so scared to come down for breakfast and the most hilarious moment of all is when he checks if everything is indeed "proportional"  :lol: :lol:: it is a moment of pure movie anthology !!!

Here is the original 1988 trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62jciQ1PbY

I am sure that todays kids would love it too as it is timeless...as he will ultimately come back to childhood after realizing that adult life is not so funny after, and do we all know about it  :yup:...

Karim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 17:45:09 by playmovictorian »
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 19:00:00 »
While we're talking about Playmobil showing up on TV, & movies, does anyone remember seeing a Playmobil construction crane like number 3761 or depending on the year I saw the program while watching TV with my grandson it may have been the old 3527 Transport Union Crane, on Mr. Rogers neighborhood? BTW, it didn't have any decals installed on the show, & it showed him operating the controls.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 19:27:06 »
Hi Ras  :wave:

I had not seen this movie for at least 12 to 13 years and did not remember the voices too but one has to keep in mind that Tom Hanks character is a little boy trapped in a grown up man's body after a visit to a a magic wish machine in a Fun Fair ?

The voices have been dubbed in that Youtube clip, but thanks for the link Karim!

Interesting to learn that Schwartz only moved to that location in 1986. The film was made in 1988.

Or, if you prefer thinking "outside the box"

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:03:55 »
While we're talking about Playmobil showing up on TV, & movies, does anyone remember seeing a Playmobil construction crane like number 3761 or depending on the year I saw the program while watching TV with my grandson it may have been the old 3527 Transport Union Crane, on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? BTW, it didn't have any decals installed on the show, & it showed him operating the controls.

I have found the answer to my own question about this mystery crane shown in an episode of the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood children's show. It was episode 1685 Fast and Slow, which aired on February 24, 1995. It was definitely the Playmobil crane version.

http://neighborhoodarchive.blogspot.com/2009/09/episode-1685-fast-and-slow.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:00:08 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!