Author Topic: DS 2013-2014  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: DS 2013-2014
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:00 »
What era is the schooner appropriate for?

I'd say late 18th century and the entire 19th century.
(to be historically correct this Playmobil ship is not a "schooner", as that type of ship normally has 2 or more masts)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:37:13 »
Is it a sloop?

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 04:44:42 »
"Sloop" would seem more appropriate for such a ship, imho.
Let's call it a "slooper" from now on  :lol:

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:16 »
Just imagine having a wonderfull batch of DS items like this getting released each year.  8}

My wallet finds that idea VERY distressful!

The asians are nice too - I want the dragons, but will pass on the castles as well... and that weird ship thing.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:28 »
I'd say the schooner is appropriate for the pirate, victorian and western themes.  :)

And Pynedor, if the blacksmith is the first I'd suggest trying to get the bakery and museum too while they are still available.  ;)

Greatly enjoying that bakery myself already. My clickies too. cake for everyone! :bdaycake:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:12 »
I'd say late 18th century and the entire 19th century.
(to be historically correct this Playmobil ship is not a "schooner", as that type of ship normally has 2 or more masts)

Thanks for the info! Now, the question is, do I want to branch out into boats? This might be dangerous...

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 13:32:38 »
And Pynedor, if the blacksmith is the first I'd suggest trying to get the bakery and museum too while they are still available.  ;)

I would like to if possible. :)
~Pynedor~

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 13:53:00 »
i don't think that the schooner fits in the western theme. i have never seen a western movie with a ship. according to movie ''north to alaska (1960)'' the ships at that time were using steam as propulsion and not the wind.
i don't see any train station unfortunately....
i am not in the medieval era, but the blacksmith is a beauty.
i paied about 100 euros for a used schooner, not complete. i consider the price right. remember that bying a similar ship in ebay for a client abroad, could cost about 20 euros more or less, only the spedition!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 15:35:46 »
i don't think that the schooner fits in the western theme. i have never seen a western movie with a ship. according to movie ''north to alaska (1960)'' the ships at that time were using steam as propulsion and not the wind.
i don't see any train station unfortunately....
i am not in the medieval era, but the blacksmith is a beauty.
i paied about 100 euros for a used schooner, not complete. i consider the price right. remember that bying a similar ship in ebay for a client abroad, could cost about 20 euros more or less, only the spedition!

Most Westerns take place on the interior of the continent. They are also movies (so not historically accurate - not to mention astute).

Steam power became popular during the Victorian era but a great many ships were still with sail power. If not most.

We did use steam powered stern wheelers and paddle wheelers (former has the propulsion drive at the rear, latter on the sides) on the rivers here because you could go up-stream easily.

The same could be said along the coastal waters.

In short, yes, the schooner/slooper is just fine to be used in that era.

They are still made (and restored) by the way and a great many boats found in marinas today are similar - yet at first thought it does not sound very plausible.

Maybe we should, as a collector community, try to get Playmobil to finally release the infamous paddle boat.  ;D

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 23:09:09 »
The standard western set up is desert-y, but the klickies could take a trip to the coast.  :)

A paddle boat would be awesome, but my bank account is crying.  :lol: