Author Topic: 4611 - guard with bolt-action rifle  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4611 - guard with bolt-action rifle
« on: September 05, 2007, 15:03:58 »
Hi Folks,

I recently acquired one of these specials and was wondering about the choice of a bolt-action rifle (and very cool bayonet) with the figure.

In all other respects the clothing and sword look Napoleonic (to may admittedly unexperienced eye), but bolt action rifles only came regular Army into use from 1886 (as far as I can tell), so this must be a more modern figure.

Is he based on a specific nationality or uniform? 

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4611 - guard with bolt-action rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 17:26:02 »
I think the bolt action rifle is just an anachronism.  It's unlike Playmobil to do something like this, but it can happen even with the best.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:42:45 »
Or it could be a honourguard - these are often hihly anachronistic  ;D
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:17:17 »

I agree!

Set 4611 is probably supposed to represent a fanciful "honour guard" for royalty or maybe even a president.

Many of the Caribbean and Latin American states had splendid uniforms that seemed to be somewhat like this figure. And, these uniforms were fairly modern. Modern enough for the rifle which looks a lot like a German Mauser (see illustration).

Even today's Spanish Guard in Seville wears a similar uniform (see illustration).

We sometimes forget that Playmobil is a toy. And, although it's a wonderful toy, it does not have to be historically accurate.

All the best,
Richard

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:36:36 »

I'm sure you're right, and Richard, too.  I never thought of that, and the name of the Special, Royal Guard, on reflection suggests that's the case.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:58 »
I agree!

Set 4611 is probably supposed to represent a fanciful "honour guard" for royalty or maybe even a president.

Many of the Caribbean and Latin American states had splendid uniforms that seemed to be somewhat like this figure. And, these uniforms were fairly modern. Modern enough for the rifle which looks a lot like a German Mauser (see illustration).

Even today's Spanish Guard in Seville wears a similar uniform (see illustration).

We sometimes forget that Playmobil is a toy. And, although it's a wonderful toy, it does not have to be historically accurate.

All the best,
Richard

That was my thinking, that it was a modern(ish) figure representing an Honour Guard, hence the old unifrom with mordern(ish)weapon. The Buckingham Palace Guards in London carry SA80s, the modern British assault rifle, not muskets as they would have when the uniform first appeared...

I was just wondering if anyone recognised the origin - the Spanish soldier looks a reasonable possibility.

The Mauser is a good match from the muzzle back to the trigger guard - the stock looks more like a Springfield M1903 (picture from Wikipedia).

However as you say, it's a toy and does not have to be historically accurate - in fact it's kind of amazing the detail they do get in, that we can even guess at the rifle's design.

Anyway, a jolly nice figure, and re-armed with flintlocks & bayonets would make a good Napoleonic unit.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 21:17:26 »
... and re-armed with flintlocks & bayonets would make a good Napoleonic unit. ...

I am not sure about that. I allways thought that tricorn hats were out during the Napoleonic times. To me it has a 1700's feel to it; around the time of the American independance war.
I don't have much on references on uniforms. But the single book that I do have on that period shows battlescenes and important figures. Pre-1800's there are a lot of images with persons wearing tricorn hats. After 1800 none.
That's why I think it's more likely to be a soldier based in the period of 1700 - 1800.

But then again ... I am by no means a expert and more importantly; it is a toy  ;)

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:56:47 »
I am not sure about that. I allways thought that tricorn hats were out during the Napoleonic times. To me it has a 1700's feel to it; around the time of the American independance war.
I don't have much on references on uniforms. But the single book that I do have on that period shows battlescenes and important figures. Pre-1800's there are a lot of images with persons wearing tricorn hats. After 1800 none.
That's why I think it's more likely to be a soldier based in the period of 1700 - 1800.

Bogro

Aha, you're right Bogro, a quick Wikipedia & Google check confirms that the Tricorn evolved into the Bicorn and then the Cocked hat.

This is one reason I love Playmobil - it's so educational. I'm learning about civilian and military uniforms of the 1600s-1800s! The tricorn hats from these guards, added to the standard redcoats, gives a British soldier of the mid-18th Century.

I guess I need to learn more from Garden War Games - those guys are producing some amazing Playmobil armies and custom figures.

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 21:57:10 »
Ah but are you forgetting the Chelsea Pensioners although they no longer carry weapons the still wear the tricorn hat - Craig

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:09:48 »
Ah but are you forgetting the Chelsea Pensioners although they no longer carry weapons the still wear the tricorn hat - Craig

Another excellent suggestion for the "Playmobil London Icons" range! London Bobby, Beefeater, Chelsea Pensioner, (bring back the) Bearskin Guard, how about a Lifeguard and a Blues and Royals guard, and a striking Tube Maintainance worker.

The Chelsea Pensioners were one of two groups I found on a Wikipedia search for existing units wearing tricorn hats, the other group was the Guardia Civil in Spain, though their hats have evolved beyond the Tricorn to my mind.