Author Topic: 4842 Treasure Temple  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4842 Treasure Temple
« on: August 28, 2010, 20:11:03 »

The 4842 Treasure Temple ($70 at TRU) is an updated version of the classic 3015 Jungle Temple, with a similar footprint and total height, though the 4842 base is much thicker, for reasons that are soon to become apparent.

The set contains three human klickies and two "Temple Guardians". It is left to the imagination what these guardians are: "converted" humans, living statues, robots, stranded aliens, or whatever you desire. They do have human heads, but their masks conceal their features.

After removal of the bagged pieces, there are five chunks that comprise the temple, and one big rock for the base. They are loose in the box, so a certain degree of rubbing and damage may occur. I really wish Playmobil would provide better internal packaging.

My first thought on opening the box was "oh, no, system X connectors", but there were not too many, and the temple was quickly completed. The plants for stage dressing the temple are nice, with two trees growing their roots over the stones. This reminds me the Cambodian temple in the first Lara Croft movie.

There is a generous helping of fauna included to keep our treasure hunters on their toes; four snakes, four scorpions, three huge spiders and a giant horned Chameleon (?). 

From the back of the temple you can see three buttons that operate traps. The first trap is a gate that pops up in the doorway, the second a rockfall over the doorway (with five rocks to fall on the unwary), and the third is a huge trapdoor over an enclosed pit. A rope with three handgrips and two hooks is included, but the rope is twice as long as the illustration suggests. At first I was puzzled, but it seems this is to allow extra rope to hang outside the temple. 

pop-up gate

trapdoor over the (snake or scorpion infested?) pit

In the base there is also a clip panel which hides another secret area, where one of the crystals can be stored.
Two further crystals are hidden under loose stones in the temple floor. The stones are irregular pentagons, so they only fit into their sockets one way round, which I found a little awkward.

The central pair of guardians come with the temple, and the outer pair are the 4848 and 4849 sets. If the originals are lost, the 4848 and 4849 ones could be used to replace them.

There are two wall niches to house the guardians, shaped to fit so they cannot be interchanged, One niche inside and this one is outside the temple. In my imagination these are docking and charging stations for the animated statue Guardians.

The three victims adventurers ready to explore. All three have a diamond logo on their left sleeve, and there is the same logo on the baseball cap. There is a human skull, half an animal skeleton, and a couple of unidentified bones to demonstrate the foolishness of violating the temple.

I immediately switched kits around, giving the lady the map and radio so she can co-ordinate the hunt, while the men with muscles for brains enter the temple with torches and weapons at the ready.

Cynthia: This must be the place! Get in there boys and recover the crystals!

Eric: I wonder what happens if I pull this rope?

Ginger: Augh! Snakes in the pit! I hate snakes!

Cynthia: Everything going all right boys?

Eric and Ginger (in  Chorus): Just a slight hitch...

I was hesitant at first to spend $70 on this set, especially as I already have a couple of the Jungle treasure sets, but there's a lot in it and a lot of play value with the traps, creepy crawlies and Temple Guardians. The hidey hole at the back of the base and the pit trap can be used to store all the loose pieces when not in use, so it is quick to put away.

The system X connectors hold the temple together securely and it can be picked up and moved with one hand, but unlike the clip system sets, it can also be broken down and put in the box again without fear of breaking anything.

I'm sure these Treasure Hunter sets have been inspired by the likes of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft movies and games, but there's still plenty of scope for a child's imagination to roam within this genre.

I'm not quite so keen on the odd-looking  vehicles from the other sets in this theme, but having seen the quality of this set I'm feeling more inclined to add them to my collection.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:04:33 by Martin Milner »

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
Re: 4842 Treasure Temple
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 20:26:04 »
thanks for the review martin  :)  i really wanted to see how this set looks like exept from the box pictures , but to be really ohnest i don't really like it it's a little childish for me  ???
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Ronastoo

• Playmo Lover
  • MamaDragon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 00:48:00 »
Martin, great photos!

Now I want the temple.   ;D
Rona MamaDragon

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:04:33 »
Thanks for sharing this with us Martin, that was a great review.  :clap:
Your outdoor photo with the temple in the grass was wonderful.  :wow:
I can see that I will have to buy this set for Junior,
not sure I like the spiders though  :0 :0 :0

Elaine  :)
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:28:37 »

...to be really honest I don't really like it it's a little childish for me  ???

8} well I'm twice your age and it's not too childish for me, so I'm happy to be more in touch with my inner child! ;)

After doing the review my wife and I took her 81yo Grandmother to the playground park (my wife and I slid down the biggest slide), followed by a visit to an ice cream parlour (Cold Stone Creamery), dropping by TRU on the way home where I bought the remaining sets in the theme.

For my ten year old inner self that's like the best day ever!  :lol:

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:49:13 »
Just to see the pics from the box, I’d have been dead set against even looking at the set.
Dammit, now I gotta get one… Oh well.
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:53:12 »
8} well I'm twice your age and it's not too childish for me, so I'm happy to be more in touch with my inner child! ;)

After doing the review my wife and I took her 81yo Grandmother to the playground park (my wife and I slid down the biggest slide), followed by a visit to an ice cream parlour (Cold Stone Creamery), dropping by TRU on the way home where I bought the remaining sets in the theme.

For my ten year old inner self that's like the best day ever!  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: depends if you like it ok , it has a lot playing options if you play  , as a building to put on display i woulden't buy it , couple of years ago they made an another one simular temple which was better i think  :)
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:28 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: depends if you like it ok, it has a lot playing options if you play, as a building to put on display I wouldn't buy it, couple of years ago they made an another one similar temple which was better I think  :)

The 3015 Temple which I referred to in the very first sentance?

I have that too and really like it. I was tempted to do a comparative review but didn't have time today. That may follow later.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:11 »
Thanks for the review. The temple turns out better than I expected. The animals are very exotic, and the klickies look COOL!!!!

Offline Mina

• Playmo Fanatic
    • our Playmoblog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:29:21 »
great!! thanks for this nice review :) I love the animals (the spider is greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat) :)

your "Snakes in the pit" reminds me of Indiana Jones in the pyramid... rolling eyes and saying: "of course, it had to be snakes"
I don't wanna grow up!

http://playmolocle.romandie.com/ -- our Playmoworld

http://moonymina.deviantart.com/ -- my non-playmo creations