Author Topic: Converting a new RC train to old style electric  (Read 14908 times)

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
Converting a new RC train to old style electric
« on: January 22, 2008, 22:27:06 »
Like the title says...I run electric trains and wanted to convert the new red RC loco (4010) to electric. It ended up being EXTREMELY EASY. I was envisioning all sorts of changes that would have to be made, but it was a breeze.

I removed the RC motor block (some disassembly of the cab was needed and the divider behind the seats had to be removed as well) and inserted an old Playmobil motor block. It fits perfectly with no modification needed. The hole that accepts the RC block also lines up nicely with the electric block. A short machine screw holds it in place, and it runs great.

The only issue was lighting. It's the one thing I really like about the new RC trains and I didn't want to lose it. I took the battery box from the Playmobil space station (3079) and placed it behind the seats (where the divider wall was removed). The plug from the lights fits it quite nicely. I guess the other option would be to wire it to the motor box directly but I want to be able to switch between electric and RC so didn't want to permanently alter any parts.

I haven't tried the passenger express trains yet. I'll report on it if I do. Anybody else do anything like this? or perhaps find a better way?
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
Re: Converting a new RC train to old style electric
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 00:15:03 »
I tried to run my 4010 cargo train (RC mode) on my "around the Christmas tree" LGB track layout, but the engine would constantly derail on the switches and 30 degree crossing - I used this layout modified with a few 4 additional straight pieces added to make it a bit larger and added 3 switches to create side yards for keeping cars:

In reading other forums, it appears the flange on the RC trains is a bit larger then the electric ones, so it causes the wheel to rise when going over LGB switches.

So...  did you have to reduce the flange side on the other set of wheels on the engine or does it seem to run smoothly on the electric track?

Thanks!

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:08 »
Y'know, I've never had any trouble running my Playmobil trains on LGB track. I have noticed that the RC trains run smoother if the motor block is placed at the front of the train. Other than that they run great over all the curves and switches that I have.

I'm using the brass, European style LGB track indoors and then I use Aristocraft brass track outdoors both with no problems to report...

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 22:42:52 »

Hello, Steve and KT ...

I replaced all of the Playmobil's plastic wheel sets with LGB's metal wheel sets.

They fit perfectly and run great on brass rail. The metal wheel sets are also heavy enough to eliminate the need for any other weight pieces.

All the best,
Richard

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 23:07:54 »
That's good advice. I have replaced the plastic wheels on all of my Playmobil passenger cars with metal wheels. I did it because I wanted to add weight and get a "clickety clack" noise.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 23:54:44 »

Hello, Steve ...

That's good advice. I have replaced the plastic wheels on all of my Playmobil passenger cars with metal wheels. I did it because I wanted to add weight and get a "clickety clack" noise.

You definitely get a "clickety clack" noise. Just ask my wife ... :lol:

All the best,
Richard

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 02:12:32 »
 :lol:  Does it bother her? That noise is one of the things my wife likes about the trains. She thinks that it's cute, or romantic in some way.

The thing that she doesn't like is the space that it takes up! She preferred the N scale layout that I did...

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:25:49 »

The thing that she doesn't like is the space that it takes up! She preferred the N scale layout that I did...

Sounds like it might be time to think about moving outside, Steve ... :)

Seems like Port Townsend would be a great place for a garden railway.

All the best,
Richard

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 04:17:17 »
We get quite a bit of rain here Richard. Not as much as Seattle, but enough. I do have a fledgling loop of track in my backyard. It's now going on two years, but it mainly gets used from April-October. It's quite expensive to fund a complete outdoor railroad so I am working on it slowly as my experience level evolves. I've learned alot about running outdoor trains by reading online and then experimenting with what I have. To my knowledge I'm the only one in town who's tried it so far. I'll definitely be posting outdoor pics when Spring weather arrives.

Now I'm completeley off topic...perhaps I should start an outdoor train thread?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 13:04:52 »
Now I'm completeley off topic...perhaps I should start an outdoor train thread?

Steve, an outdoor train thread would be great!

Love to see what you've done so far ..,
(And, don't be shy about showing ... I haven't even started my Garden Railroad yet) ...  :-[

All the best,
Richard