Author Topic: Feedback/Questions on Figure Restoration and Cleaning.  (Read 15025 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Feedback/Questions on Figure Restoration and Cleaning.
« on: February 08, 2006, 15:23:43 »
Hello, Sir Gareth ...

Thank you very much for your excellent instructions for Klicky restoration. After reading what you do to bring your Klickys back to "life," it's easy to understand why you have a 100% rating at eBay!

As you know, I am a Playmobil toy soldier enthusiast and there is nothing worse than a "slouching soldier" in the ranks. Thanks to your wonderful instructions for frame restoration, there should be no excuse now for any Playmobil toy soldier not standing properly at attention ... ;)

Sir Gareth, have you found a way to "cure" the yellowing of older white Playmobil figures and accessories? I have a lot of old Playmobil that has just yellowed with age and it would be great to be able to make them white again ... :)

You are correct about the "hans-on" method. Collectobart and Playmoliver met with Hans Beck just before he retired. And, Mr.Beck showed them the disassembly process that is now known as the Hans-on method. Personally, I still prefer the GW vise method. I have NEVER broken nor damaged a single Klicky (in more than fifteen years) using this method! Making the "tool" is a bit of trouble, but I highly recommend it!

Thanks again for a very informative post!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 15:30:47 »
Wow! That figure looks like new after his overhaul. Very impressive! 8-)

Thank you for sharing your tips, Garry! I'm sure this information will be invaluable to many people. I've certainly learnt a lot of new things from reading it. :yup:

I was removing the print from the torso of a klicky using silver polish ("Silvo") yesterday and I noticed afterwards what a great shine it leaves on the plastic. I haven't tried any of these other ones you've mentioned, but I will certainly look out for them.

After reading what you do to bring your Klickys back to "life," it's easy to understand why you have a 100% rating at eBay!

Took the words right out of my mouth, Richard! I was just about to say that too.  ;)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 19:07:04 »
Sir Gareth, have you found a way to "cure" the yellowing of older white Playmobil figures and accessories? I have a lot of old Playmobil that has just yellowed with age and it would be great to be able to make them white again ... :)

Hi Richard.

The answer to that question is no not yet.

I have tried lot's of methods in the past to find a cure for this like leaving the parts in a soloution of bleech for a day all that did was leave the parts rough feeling. Ihave tried steredent (denture cleaning stuff) that didn't work and I have even used wet and dry sandpaper to try and remove the surface yellowing and that wasn't brilliant either.I haven't had a go at the paroxide method yet some say they results are Ok. The only thing I do know that works well is Plasticote white primer spray paint, I have used it on framed house parts and the hull of 3740 in the past.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 19:21:26 »
:wow: This is an excellent addition to this forum and a very valuable source of information so thank you very much for sharing it with us. I can really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this !!

Kindest Regards  Tim  :)9

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 20:36:26 »
Hi Richard.
 The answer to that question is no not yet.

Thanks, Garry ...

It really would be great to find a way to get the yellow out!

I appreciate your sharing what you've tried already. At least none of us will have to waste our time with those methods. If I do find something, I'll let you know immediately. And, please do the same.

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 21:20:11 »
Garry,
Thanks for sharing.
I am sure my Playmobil will become clean and polished over time.

I can think of a number of items with stray marks on them that I would be happy to remove.

Does this method remove the marker and  and restoring the original white to the color pieces that have been markered?

Meg

Offline Gyps

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 21:54:04 »
Thanks Garry - I enjoyed reading this.  When I was small I used to use plasticene with my Playmo (adding cloaks, capes etc) and now I know just how to get this out of the mould lines of my ancient figures :D

The yellowing is an interesting one - the very same ancient figures have also an unusual looking 'tan' on their faces where they've yellowed slightly ... someone mentioned using denture cleaner somewhere, but I have to admit, I've not tried it!

Offline Red

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Proud mommy of M and G!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 13:00:14 »
Thank you so much for all the time you spent posting this information! It is a great addition to the site!

Red
One half the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen

Offline hoppatussa

• Southern Belle @ heart
  • Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 15:39:40 »
This was very informative.  I have spent numerous hours trying to clean up "dirty" figures from lots I have bought in the past.  This method seems a lot better than the methods I have used in the past... plus it is nice to know there is something that easily removes print if you want to.

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 16:49:36 »
Hi Garry - Thanks so much for wll the wonderful information in your post. Wow - now I know how to give my klickies their physicals! ;)
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry