Author Topic: Fairies Part 1: sets 9134 and 9132  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
Fairies Part 1: sets 9134 and 9132
« on: February 16, 2017, 14:14:54 »
9134 - Dragon Mother and Baby

It's pink - and it's cute!

I guess that dragons make lots of mess.  The accompanying fairy is not barefoot or in stockings; she is wearing boots.

Dragons apparently make exactly the same nests as storks, right down to the little stick inside to secure a stork onto.  But, again, it's cute.

There is something not quite right, though.  Mother Dragon is not a dragon.  She is a wyvern.  Dragons have forelegs; wyverns do not.

But look at her baby... it has forelegs!

Those forelegs had to come from somewhere!  They must have come from the father of the baby.  And so, I needed to make an additional purchase.

Say hello to Daddy:

(He's the new 6498 Red Dragon.)

9132: Magical Fairy Forest

This took Mr Raven and me over 2 hours to put together!  (It was dark by the time we'd finished, as you can tell by the different light in the photos.)

The instructions are not very clear.  At times it is difficult to see which piece of tree is being referred to, or where something should be placed.  Consequently, we went wrong a couple of times and at one time we went very wrong, and the swing ended up at a strange angle and far too low as well.

Incidentally, that pink canopy at the top is not an ordinary piece of Playmobil plastic.  It is a thin plastic sheet.  It's a bit odd, really.

When Mr Raven took out the male fairy, he said, 'Oh look! A pirate!'

The pirate, I mean fairy, wasn't wearing his neckpiece (wing-holder) or wings then, mind you.  And, actually, he wasn't wearing his neckpiece/wing-holder for quite a long time - because it wouldn't go on!

After the second period of soaking it in very hot water, to increase its flexibility, however, I did get it on.  But I wonder how many parents who simply bought this for their kids would think of doing that?

I am seriously wondering whether to turn him into a pirate.  Or maybe I could turn some of my pirates into fairies?

The unicorns are fairly plain, but quite nice.

And, as a set for children, I think it offers great play value.  There are so many places that the fairies can sit or stand or have adventures.

And if you move a rock, there is even a secret hiding place for jewels.  Once you have taken them out of the bag, which I haven't yet.

There's also a new fairy seat.

Which has space behind for wings.

One thing about this set that a child might find strange, is that all the tree branches/leaves are covered with little spikes for insects or flowers.  There are some included, but nothing like enough to cover them all.  I will enjoy covering them all with flowers, or maybe hanging apples from them, but a child who doesn't already have lots of flowers or apples, more insects - or birds, squirrels, whatever - is just going to have to put up with the spikes.

All in all, though, it is a great fairy set.  Just be prepared to take quite a long time in building it!
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Fairies Part 1: sets 9134 and 9132
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 18:11:56 »
Thanks for the review on these Raven. I really like the figures in this set, and of course will have to have the unicorns. I don't know if I can justify the price for the rest of the parts though. The unicorns are available as parts from playmobil.de but the figures of course are not.
 The business with the wyvern dragon definitely bothers me, but your solution is a good one. Extreme sexual dimorphism? So then the baby must be male?

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 18:48:23 »
Thank you once again for the reviews. It's so much nicer to see these sets in real photos rather than a catalog
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 21:25:34 »
I guess that dragons make lots of mess.  The accompanying fairy is not barefoot or in stockings; she is wearing boots.

:lmao:

There is something not quite right, though.  Mother Dragon is not a dragon.  She is a wyvern.  Dragons have forelegs; wyverns do not.

But look at her baby... it has forelegs!

Thank you for pointing that out. Neither of us had noticed (and I seriously doubt I would, at least  :-[ )

Thank you for the reviews and pics!

Will try to be really careful assembling that thing!

Online Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:16 »

The business with the wyvern dragon definitely bothers me, but your solution is a good one. Extreme sexual dimorphism? So then the baby must be male?
Or the females' arms fall off when they're older.

I wonder if they actually do build nests or if they just eat the storks and use their nests, much less hassle.

Online Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:50:22 »
In the last photo, what is the golden haired fairy holding? It looks like a clear bottle with something in it.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 09:57:57 »
In the last photo, what is the golden haired fairy holding? It looks like a clear bottle with something in it.

There's a bottle with "golden dust"... not new from now.

Online Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:46:05 »
There's a bottle with "golden dust"... not new from now.
Okay, thanks. It looks like an interesting item.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 13:35:04 »
Quote from: Klickteryx
I wonder if they actually do build nests or if they just eat the storks and use their nests, much less hassle.

:lol:
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn