Author Topic: Fairies Part 2: sets 9133, 9136, 9137, 9138, 9139, 9140, 9141  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
I guess it would have been better if I'd opened these sets in numerical order.  But I didn't.  And so, to start:

9137 - Water Fairy with Horse 'Aquarius'

All I can say about this is that I love the colours!

9140 - Fairy Child with Skunk

Instead of the usual snap-together skirt for fairy children, this one has a rubbery pull-on skirt.  I like this very much, I think it looks much nicer.

I also like that, unlike some adult fairies, who have similar wands with jewels on top, this fairy girl has instead a wand with a flower on top.  A 'pretend' wand, as she is not old enough to perform spells yet.

9138 - Fairy Child with Storks

This child has a 'traditional' skirt, though.  And green mushrooms!

9139 - Fairy Child with Raccoons

Another pull-on rubbery skirt.

And I like this child very much.  But she reminds me too much of when I was a child myself: I grew up by the sea, and when my friends and I wanted to go to the beach, we just pulled on a skirt or shorts over our swimming costumes, and off we went.  So, actually, I prefer this child like this:

And that's how I found myself losing one fairy child...

So, this afternoon, off I went to buy the remaining fairy child, which I hadn't previously bought:

9141 - Fairy Child with Baby Deer

Although I thought that she was the prettiest of the fairy children, I wasn't sure about the deer.

They are quite nice though....

9133 - Magical Fairy Ship

I've got one thing to say about this: Aaaargh!!!!

I had already learnt about the unexpected orange colour of the ship (instead of the browner colour shown on the box) from this thread:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16088.0

That wasn't a problem.  I actually like the orange better than I would have liked brown.

And it amused me to find that the male fairy (which again, like in Part 1 of my fairy sets review, Mr Raven called a pirate) already had his neckpiece/wing-holder in place.  I'd had so much trouble with getting the previous one's round his neck, I was glad to see it.  Did Playmobil also realise that it was troublesome?

The problem was with putting this ship together.  I'd bought the previous fairy ship, which is an identical design, except for the mast, and though it was a bit stiff, it was nothing like as troublesome as this one.

Mr Raven and myself had to work together to get the pink part at the front of the ship to go into place.  It did not want to go in at all.

The mast was also difficult to click into the floor of the ship, and disappointingly, the sail does not quite line up with the forward-facing foot of the mast.

This, however, is easily compensated for by turning the flag onto a similar angle to the sail, so it looks as if the wind is blowing slightly across the ship.

The sail is made of a thin plastic sheet, and needs to be threaded into a slit in the middle of the mast, and hooked onto little knobs at the same time.

I did not find this easy.  I was sure that I was going to either crumple or tear the sail.  I didn't do either, but I would not fancy doing this again...

The worst problem though, is that the pink part on the back is very bent.  It looks awful.

Here it is next to my pink fairy ship, for comparison:

Now, I can fix this.  A time in very hot water, followed by being flattened for a week under a heavy weight, and it should be OK.  But if I was a parent, and this was the first Playmobil that I had bought for my child, it may well have put me off the brand.  Firstly with the struggle to put it together, and secondly with how bad it looks with the back all bent.  It makes it look like a very cheap toy.  That's sad.

But onto something more cheerful:

This fairy seemed to be taking a great interest in the giant insect:

And then they swapped their wings!

And finally....

9136 - Flower Fairy with Unicorn Carriage

Colourful and bright.

And I like the fairy too.  Her headband came already broken (split right through at one part), though it can't be seen, and she can still wear it.  A spot of glue should mend it, I think.

And that concludes the fairy sets for me, as I didn't buy the 9135 Waterfall with Fairy Babies.

I'd been waiting and longing for them ever since I heard of them, and I'm so happy to finally have them.  A table full of fairies!  Great fun!
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
Re: Fairies Part 2: sets 9133, 9136, 9137, 9138, 9139, 9140, 9141
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 17:13:54 »
Oooooooo! They are even nicer than I thought they would be. Now I guess I'll move them from the "might want" to the "going to buy" list
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 18:17:14 »
Lots of nice sets there. The colors of many of the animals are odd, but they work fine for me I guess. I rally like the swapped wings on that fairy from the boat. She looks great with the sparkly clear wings instead.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 21:23:15 »
Thanks for the reviews :)

I can't believe the headband came broken. I mean, actually, I can, that is the problem :(  It would be unheard of a decade ( ?) ago.

I hope my boat turns out ok.