Author Topic: 4873 - Falcon Knight and Squire  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
Re: 4873 - Falcon Knight and Squire
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 17:00:18 »
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. I fully agree with what people said. I will be getting more of these with the full intent of customizing them to look GREAT!!

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 21:26:20 »
Thanks for this review, Gis. They have black armour, right? Perhaps it was mentioned, but I´m in bed in a Agriturismo in Tuscany, but I had to reply to this one.  ;)

In my experience Intertoys has the new boxes earlier than Bart Smith (in Holland).
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 22:12:07 »
Thanks for this review, Gis. They have black armour, right? Perhaps it was mentioned, but I´m in bed in a Agriturismo in Tuscany, but I had to reply to this one.  ;)

Hmm, everything that is meant to resemble metal is dakr grey and everything that is cloth is black. I think thats the reason the knight has a dark grey torso as to complete the full plate look, although I think it failed :-(

Have fun in Tuscany!

Offline grangel

• Playmo Master
  • Medieval military designer
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 03:41:14 »
Nice set!! I 'm looking forward to have mine.It is on the way!!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 14:28:37 »
Hmm, everything that is meant to resemble metal is dakr grey and everything that is cloth is black. I think thats the reason the knight has a dark grey torso as to complete the full plate look, although I think it failed :-(

Have fun in Tuscany!

They've sort of painted themselves into a corner with this particular armored collar piece.

I had no problem with a figure with silver arms and legs, black or brown boots, and a colored body (often with heraldry) representing a tabard. Bolingbroke's Crusader avatar is a good example of how this works. You imagine the armor under the tabard, and if there's a silver chainmail neckpiece all is well, as knights would often push back their mail coif so it formed a metallic collar.

With plate armor, if you can see one color armor at the neck it should continue down the whole body. Knights didn't wear low-cut tabards that began under their breastbone. Thus a different colored body under this armored collar always looks wrong to me. I put up with it (often gritting my teeth), but it's not my favorite look.

In the figure in question they've tried to match the body to the armored collar, but the arms and legs should also match, thus representing full plate. They don't match. The visible black under the clip-on armor spoils the look.

My suggestion of switching the arms on these two figures would fix the arm problem, but we still have the leg problem. What does the black on the legs represent? Did the knight get too hot and tie his sweater round his waist?

In  the recent Bronze Knights 4807-4811 and Iron Knights 5886-5889 sets we did have figures with this neckpiece and with monotone leg mouldings, but they were given bright silver arms which did not match the tone of the rest of their armor. Once again, Playmobil chickened out of having a single armor color for the whole figure, be it bright silver, dark grey or bronze.

From the earliest days Playmobil have generally avoided figures with one color on body, arms and legs. It worked for the early firemen and some construction crew as overalls, but it was rare.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 22:07:41 »
Thanks for the review, Gis! :)

The new heraldry is indeed a great improvement.  There are also some very useful parts here and I think the great helm is the best one Playmobil has yet created.  I hope it comes in silver soon. :knight:
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 21:32:03 »
I had to come back and read this again...I am planning on ordering a couple of these sets and begin buiding a small battalion... Thanks again Gis for the review and Martin for his feedback!