Author Topic: More Playmobil Knock-offs at TRU  (Read 7275 times)

Offline reimagination

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: More Playmobil Knock-offs at TRU
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:13 »
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is a really great idea for a picture! At $25 for one of these big sets, it might be worth buying one of these cheap sets just for that purpose!

Oh, and yes, it's mixed in with the playmobil at my TRU, too.

Bonnie Beth, I think I remember when you joined. We may be from the same city now I think about it. New Orleans, yeah?

I'm not one to just spend money willy nilly (who am I kidding?), but I may have to head back there and pick up one of the smallest sets they have and start a massacre! Hopefully there is something for less than $25 though.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:55 »
Bonnie Beth, I think I remember when you joined. We may be from the same city now I think about it. New Orleans, yeah?

bonnie is from Louisiana  ;)
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:01 »
Actually, I'm in Baton Rouge, but yes, we are neighbors!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 16:27:58 »
I've heard that every brand/company pays certain amount to be displayed on whatever store shelf they decide or can afford...i guess this is not the exception - i wonder if this cheap looking knock off paid an specific amount to be craftily placed next to Playmobil or if TRU put those sets there randomly... ??? :hmm:
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 16:56:26 »
Looks like legomobil to me. I frequent two TRU and have not seen these. I know this will stir some up but I like the western buildings. I don't like the figures but the buildings have potential IMO.   

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 17:00:12 »
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be the first to say it. :-[ I wonder if the scale is exactly the same. With some paint, the buildings could be good stand-ins... maybe I should buy the set just to check it out, and send a few klick-offs to reimagination so he can murderize them! :lol:
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 17:06:52 »
We do not have these at our TRU but I would be interested in knowing how the western buildings look. I want to do some buildings on fire due to the civil war moving through our town. There is no way I would burn or melt a playmobil building but if these fit the scale I may have to try it with them.

I know Indiana showed them before but have there been more added recently to the stores who have them?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 17:09:23 »
These are the only two sets I have seen, but they now have alot more of them. They must have a dozen pirate ships, and quite a few of the western sets, which are new. They've just been added in the last few weeks.

Offline racerx

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 23:13:13 »
We bought the kids some of the pirate sets, just so they'd have some accessories for their PM sets that we didn't care if they lost.
Make a fast friend...adopt a greyhound

Offline Peefferr

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 17:55:13 »
I've heard that every brand/company pays certain amount to be displayed on whatever store shelf they decide or can afford...i guess this is not the exception - i wonder if this cheap looking knock off paid an specific amount to be craftily placed next to Playmobil or if TRU put those sets there randomly... ??? :hmm:

The term is called "slotting." And you're right, many (but not all) big-box retailers charge slotting fees for shelf placement. Different retailers approach this differently; some want a set cash amount per item, others determine the cost based on the number of stores the product is going into, or by linear inches of space that will be allocated.

Companies can pay these fees directly or other times by shipping free product. There is a fair amount of negotiation that goes into this, and shelf placement could certainly be discussed. It can get expensive, but isn't illegal, and retailers are usually quite up front with their requirements.

That said, I'm not in the toy industry, and don't know how TRU handles slotting (if they do at all).