Author Topic: Customizing the Lion Knights Castle?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
Customizing the Lion Knights Castle?
« on: June 29, 2019, 00:44:16 »
Has anyone here done much with customizing the Lion Knights Castle? I’m wondering what combinations people have come up with besides the basic extensions they sell.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: Customizing the Lion Knights Castle?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:38:07 »
I have seen many great custom-buildings and cities made with System-X, but I can´t really remember a creation based on that castle, at least not one with major changes. You´ll probably need a saw and glue if you want to drastically change it.
All system-X castles come with large (wall)parts which are very unsuitable for "shape-shifting"...
Other System-X buildings (mostly the early ones) had many more smaller parts which allowed for rebuilding in a much different way. The 3112 Naval Stronghold is an example of such a set, if one has multiples of it - and parts from other System-X sets can further enhance the building-possibilities - then big fortresses can be build. But for the Medieval Times, the best castles for custom-building without having to make changes to the parts themselves, are the Steck system ones from the late 1970s to early 2000s.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:28:05 »
I have seen many great custom-buildings and cities made with System-X, but I can´t really remember a creation based on that castle, at least not one with major changes. You´ll probably need a saw and glue if you want to drastically change it.
All system-X castles come with large (wall)parts which are very unsuitable for "shape-shifting"...
Other System-X buildings (mostly the early ones) had many more smaller parts which allowed for rebuilding in a much different way. The 3112 Naval Stronghold is an example of such a set, if one has multiples of it - and parts from other System-X sets can further enhance the building-possibilities - then big fortresses can be build. But for the Medieval Times, the best castles for custom-building without having to make changes to the parts themselves, are the Steck system ones from the late 1970s to early 2000s.

Naval Stronghold was my introduction to System X. I've been making a lot of different things by combining it with 3285. I was hoping the castles would work pretty similarly. In particular, I was hoping I could buy two castles to have a guard tower on each side of the gate, but when I read the instructions for 6000, I was disappointed to find the tower was built into the gate, so I couldn't add a second one to the other side.

Still, it looks like the castle walls can connect to things underneath, and they do use the regular connectors on the sides, so I may be able to come up with something. I just thought it was weird I wasn't able to find any pictures of someone customizing it to any extent. I couldn't even find photos of it with the extra tower attached to it.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:11:47 »
What some have done is make steck or system-x castles then used the system-why (the building style current castles use) pieces to make interesting features. As in placing them next to the other systems so that they blend in but don't form actual connections with.
I really like the design of the 6000 castle and wish it could be customised as it has a lot of nice features, same for the Lion castle.
 You could for example use one castle as your castle centre on a raised platform and then put an outer ring of castle walls around it with a ramp leading up to the gates on the raised area.