Author Topic: Value of sales of Playmobil on Ebay -- some preliminary numbers  (Read 12892 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
Dear All,

Bill Blackhurst started a thread called 'What If...' a bit more than a week ago (here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4527.0), exploring some of the possibilities and dreams some of us have regarding an official Playmobil collectors club and what that could mean.

One of the things that came up, as it has in other threads, is how we might strengthen the arguments we, as a collector/enthusiast community, make to Playmobil's management. I made a couple of suggestions (here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4527.msg58842#msg58842). As others have said (on more than one occasion), having some numbers describing the amounts of money spent on Playmobil could be useful. If you read through the whole of that thread, you will see that there was some discussion and debate as to how this might be done, and some very quick-and-dirty statistics.

Well, what I'd like to do in this new thread is present some slightly more detailed figures. These numbers are, in my opinion, still preliminary, but I think they are still interesting and perhaps useful. I also wanted to get this information and discussion out where more people might see it -- I think it's a bit 'buried' where it is at the moment.

What I did was search for 'Playmobil' on EBay UK, but only for completed items (look under 'Advanced Search', and part of the way down the list of options there's a tick box for 'Completed Items'). This search gives all the items that were listed meeting the search criteria, but were completed in the last 3 weeks. I copied and pasted all the rows from the webpages for the period 14 May 23:59  back to 8 May 00:00 (a whole week) into an Excel spreadsheet, did a lot of editing to get rid of all the extraneous blank lines, unnecessary information and so on.

There were a total of 3,995 items listed, of which 2,637 sold (66%). The total value of the items sold was £22,894.54. So the average value per item sold was £8.68; the average value per item for all items listed (both sold and unsold) was £5.73. So far, so good.

I repeated the same exercise for EBay Germany (Ebay.de), but I had to limit myself just to sales yesterday (15th May 2010). There were 3,851 Playmobil items just on one day -- this gives an impression of the difference in volume between just UK and Germany! Of the 3851 items listed, 1745 sold (45%). The total value of all the items sold was €18,871.44 (remember, this is just one day 8}, albeit a Saturday). So the average value per item sold was €10.81; the average value per item for all items listed (both sold and unsold) was €4.90.

So what might this all mean? Well, first off, please don't read too much into the apparent precision of my numbers. The method by which I gathered and manipulated the raw data is not without potential for error. But allowing for that, I think the guesstimate of an average value of €5 that chacalote came up with here (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4527.msg58913#msg58913) is probably pretty near the mark for an average value per Playmobil item listed on Ebay (at least in the UK and Germany). Without doing the same thing I did (which is, frankly, a lot of work), we can't tell how many items actually sell on Ebay, or their total value. But that €5 average does give us something we could work with.

So, I think chacalote's suggestion about tracking the number of items listed day by day on each of the regional Ebay sites could give us some rough numbers of the overall volume of second-hand items sold, and then use the €5 multiplier to calculate the value. I don't know what the outcome of that might be, but I'd like to find out  ;D.

Of course, what would be best would be if we could easily pick out items that are the sorts of things we collectors/enthusiasts would like to see Playmobil reissue, or otherwise make easier to obtain directly from them. There is, so far as I can see, no easy way to do this. I can try to burrow through the spreadsheets I have now created to try to get some more data out about what types of items sell for the highest prices, but this will probably have to wait. We will be moving house soon, and so most of my time and energy outside work will be directed toward packing and organising, not monitoring Ebay  :P. And if anyone would likes copies of the spreadsheets, I'd be more than happy to supply them.

Anyway, I hope this is all of interest to some...

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Andrew this is very good work you have accomplished! Well done and thank you!!!
 I am afraid it is still numbers and statistics to me  8} 8} 8} but if other playmofriends can work more on your model proposal that would be great!!!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
That is HUGE!
Just think, producing that info to Playmobil,
The fact that they could be making over 40,000 euros in like 1 day from JUST Uk and Germany...
It will blow their minds! :(o):
And all they need to do is make old Playmobil available through the colectors club,
Or some other method!

Thanks for your great, and very hard, work Andrew!
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
That is HUGE!
Just think, producing that info to Playmobil,
The fact that they could be making over 40,000 euros in like 1 day from JUST Uk and Germany...
It will blow their minds! :(o):
And all they need to do is make old Playmobil available through the colectors club,
Or some other method!

Thanks for your great, and very hard, work Andrew!

i don't like that at all  >:( >:( to make the old playmobil again because the rarity system won't exist , and they won't be special.
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover

i don't like that at all  >:( >:( to make the old playmobil again because the rarity system won't exist , and they won't be special.

Ah, well... I think there is a fundamental difference in outlook here...

I accept that many people who collect things do so because of the rarity of the things -- the appeal of having something is that there are very few examples of it, and therefore there are very few other people who also have whatever that 'something' is. From your statement, my guess is that this is your feeling regarding 'vintage' Playmobil. Fair enough.

I have to say that I don't share that sentiment. I like Playmobil because I enjoy playing with it, and there are many pieces, figures and sets I would like to see reissued simply because I would like to be able to play with them without having to pay premium prices on EBay. The satisfaction I derive and the value I place on Playmobil comes from the fun of customising and playing, not from knowing that I own rare pieces, figures or sets.

That being the case, I would like to see one outcome of a collector's club be the reissue of what have become, by now, 'rare' pieces, figures and sets. And it's because of that desire that I am trying to do what I can to help that happen. I don't know whether the research I've done will make any difference, but I think it's worthwhile.

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack -- merely a statement of what I perceive to be a difference of opinion. I hope you won't take any offense, because none is intended.

AndrewL

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
this is true yes i don't say not to reissue some sets but not with the same number not the same box not the same appearanse ,not the same sets , some parts or figures or even buildings ok but mixed with new parts or some old ones mixed together from different sets. not to look like the old ones i think you get what i want to  say!!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
Congratulations on a massive amount of work Andrew. The figures for Germany are certainly mind-blowing!

I would be interested in knowing how far above or below retail the currently available pieces/sets are selling for, how many of the bigger sellers are discontinued sets/pieces and how much they are selling for...big questions I know.

I also wonder if Playmobil knows how much of their product is listed on ebay.
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Thanks for the interesting information, AndrewL :wave:
That really is a staggering amount! :(o): :(o): :(o):

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover

I don't really share this point of view because I believe that, assigning an excessive value to so called 'rare' items increases the prices on E-bay forcing people like me to pay too much money. I play and build with Playmobil which means I need to have access to lots of parts for reasonable prices. To me it would be great to have new releases of old parts and hopefully a collector's club will provide this kind of benefit.   

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
I don't really share this point of view because I believe that, assigning an excessive value to so called 'rare' items increases the prices on E-bay forcing people like me to pay too much money. I play and build with Playmobil which means I need to have access to lots of parts for reasonable prices. To me it would be great to have new releases of old parts and hopefully a collector's club will provide this kind of benefit.   

I share your sentiment kenc...not to mention that if i pay alot on an item its hard gfor me to enjoy it in playing...its hard for my to bend it, customise it hit it etc...!!!!