Author Topic: History Sets 2016  (Read 7358 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: History Sets 2016
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 15:11:39 »
5391 - Roman Biga (link at playkingdoms)

I guess there isn't much to say..

But it's a nice set, especially for those who don't have the previous versions.

(more at the link)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 16:04:52 »
Aren't these reviews of new releases, master cheng? I mean, they were out last month...

Yikes! Haven't been following....just released?! Too much too many  8} ...not complaining though  ;D

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 17:58:01 »
5392 - Roman Ballista (link at playkingdoms)

I considered not getting it.. If I hadn't bought the whole theme I wouldn't. But I'm glad I did (it's that stupid hair that puts me off, the klicky is gorgeous after that is fixed!).

And I actually like the ballista a lot more than I thought!

I believe that's it for today. Two to go, I hope tomorrow.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 20:37:22 »
5390 - Roman Galley (link at playkingdoms)

Thanks for the spate of reviews, Tahra!

You have opened my eyes to the galley 5390, which is now definitely high on my wish list. It always has been a cool vessel, and now with the improved colour scheme even better than the original - good riddance to red masts, etc! Also the new ballista is a big improvement. However, I shall outfit my new ship with old shields, and rigging needs to be reinstalled.

A question about the disappearance of the canopy. Are there (unused) holes for the canopy supports in the hull (as in the original), or did they fix this in the mould for the reissue?

[Off topic:] Galley 4276 marks an important juncture back in 2006 - historically accurate and all that, but taking liberties with physical accuracy that would never have occurred before. I mean the invisible rowers, of course. It makes sense, play-wise, and I don't complain, but this definitely marks a huge departure from what had been happening in design before. Perhaps for the better, because would old-style PM ever have produced an actual galley, rowers and all? [Back to topic:]

Finally, I don't fret too much about the exact duplication of the klickys - the 'new' roman sets were done with minimal investment in new moulds, so old types are reused also for the figures. Actually, it is nothing short of a miracle that any serious historical themes are still making it into the PM catalogue. Just look at current Lego Knights and see that Geobra are still doing history a favour (despite all that some sour collectors keep saying) - toy producers seem to expect little desire for historical accuracy in their target markets. Let's hope that actual sales will exceed forecasts, and Geobra may consider to invest more next time. Having said this, at least they could have varied a bit more with the colours.

Best wishes
StJohn
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 21:04:54 by StJohn »

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 14:13:49 »
Thanks for all the new reviews, tahra!  I hope that everyone who follows your links to Playkingdoms will also wander around over there for a little while.  I particularly recommend a visit to the delightful "Xmasy dio 2015!"   :)9   :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 19:29:54 »
Thanks for the spate of reviews, Tahra!

What spam!  :P

You have opened my eyes to the galley 5390, which is now definitely high on my wish list.

Glad I could be of assistance  ;D

A question about the disappearance of the canopy. Are there (unused) holes for the canopy supports in the hull (as in the original), or did they fix this in the mould for the reissue?

I think the holes are still there - they have the bolts stuck there in the instructions.

Galley 4276 marks an important juncture back in 2006 - historically accurate and all that, but taking liberties with physical accuracy that would never have occurred before. I mean the invisible rowers, of course.

I seriously have no idea what else could be done. I mean, to be accurate it would have to be HUMONGOUS. The Airgam did the same with their beautiful galley (when I was a cub!) - of course, their rowers actually ROW!  :P  Glad playmobil's rowers do not!

Finally, I don't fret too much about the exact duplication of the klickys -

I find it extremely LAZY to have repeat klickys in a theme. The vikings were plagued when they were released. The romans are worse. ALL soldiers with the roman neckpiece have brown classic hair. All the ones in those brown sleeves have THAT black hair. All the lion armor ones have brown medieval hair.  Same as last time.

It's ridiculous.  >:( >:( >:(

(note: to ME, makes little difference - I pop them as I like, and have the parts to detwin a bunch. But a lot of kids will not. That is how we got our blonde (gay) cavalry.)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 19:34:43 »
Thanks for all the new reviews, tahra!  I hope that everyone who follows your links to Playkingdoms will also wander around over there for a little while.  I particularly recommend a visit to the delightful "Xmasy dio 2015!"   :)9   :)

Thak you  :)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 19:36:40 »
5393 - Roman Soldiers (link at playkingdoms)

It's the attack of the clones!

Oh well. Popping and detwinning needed. But a good army builder (after that, and getting them the missing neckpieces)

(more at the link)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 19:38:48 »
5394 - Caesar and Cleopatra (link at playkingdoms)

Caesar, Julius Caesar is the only non-repeat roman:

And there's the.... I suppose those are meant to be grapes.

(compared to sylvanian  ::) )

(more at the link)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 19:42:47 »
And done. Apologies for all the spam...

Conclusions on the main page: History Sets 2016

Basically, egyptian klickys are gorgeous, and almost all the romans are repeats:

Final conclusion: BUY THEM ALL!!!  ;D

(sorry, I'm dead tired of this)