Poll

Would you like a PF Photo Contest? Would you participate?

Photo contest YES
28 (49.1%)
Photo contest NO
0 (0%)
I would participate
25 (43.9%)
I would only watch
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 12:12:38

Author Topic: Playmofriends Photo Contest  (Read 14437 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Playmofriends Photo Contest
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 18:40:50 »
This is the way it's been done over at LG for years and it works well. The one other thing that's done is before the photographers are revealed there is a guessing game where you try to figure out who took which shot.

that also sounds fun!

btw what's LG?  :-[
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 18:41:51 »
I think the point was maybe there should be separate categories for photoshop and non-photoshop. Not sure I agree, just saying I think that was his point.

On that specific bit I think it depends on the volume of entries. If there are 4 or 5 entries total then splitting wouldn't make much sense. If we get lots of entries of both types then it may. I don't think we're going to know until it's actually tried out.

LG = Laughing Giraffe forum

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 18:43:05 »
If there were to be categories, how would we decide which level each participant would be assigned to? Like professional, amateur, photoshop, non photoshop, natural, staged, etc? This may cause a lot of members to not submit contributions because of being too complicated.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 18:45:11 »
If there were to be categories, how would we decide which level each participant would be assigned to? Like professional, amateur, photoshop, non photoshop, natural, staged, etc? This may cause a lot of members to not submit contributions because of being too complicated.

yeah that was what I was thinking. It's better to keep it simple.
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 18:52:41 »
I think so too. Simple is better. If there's a tremendous amount of support we could think about making it more complex later, maybe.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 23:06:01 »
As you stated if we have it set up in a complicated way than the will deter people from participating. But you also get  people not wanting to contribute due to them knowing that there is no chance in winning due to some very talented individuals who have a back round in this subject. If my kid wanted to enter he knows what others can do and he knows he can not compete against that talent level. Some members are very talented at special effects not only in computer aided editing but also with staged pictures. 

There are a lot less talented people than ones that are not. If you want to include the majority it can not favor the few.

Competitions can not be all happy for everyone. most people loose and do not like it, only one wins . Repetitive losers soon lose interest
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 23:20:06 »
From the way it sounds, it may be better to scrap the photo contest project to prevent any hard feelings. You can't please all of the people all of the time, so maybe it would be better not to please anyone at all.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 23:29:48 »
I do like the idea of a topic every other month.  
As to some people being better photographers than others, I think that it is not just the photographic skill that counts but also the idea for something that would help to decide which to vote for. 
And at the end of the day, it is the fun of setting things up to take a photo that matters, and looking at what others have done is always enjoyable, winning would just be an extra!

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 23:33:10 »
Bill, I think this is a bad idea to scrap the whole thing because someone's feelings might get hurt.  I think we should do it once.  If there are alot of enteries, maybe they could be split into photoshopped and not.  As far as winning, I could care less.  I would still enter something every month even if I lost every month.  I just want to see a bunch of cool, different pics created by our members.  If someone is so soft skinned that they couldn't handle a photo contest, then they should probably ignore the contest all together.
Just my thoughts at the moment.  

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 23:41:15 »
I do like the idea of a topic every other month.  
As to some people being better photographers than others, I think that it is not just the photographic skill that counts but also the idea for something that would help to decide which to vote for. 
And at the end of the day, it is the fun of setting things up to take a photo that matters, and looking at what others have done is always enjoyable, winning would just be an extra!

Elaine

Well said, Elaine  :)9

I know I would not win, but it would just be fun to participate as well as see others' photos and the creativity behind them. It would not hurt my feelings if I didn't get a single vote. It would just be something fun to do ;) That is also another reason I thought categories would be nice because more than one person could win. That is just my two cents  :wave:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil!