Author Topic: 18th century/ sneaky pirates line  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
18th century/ sneaky pirates line
« on: November 24, 2019, 23:19:23 »
Greetings one and all! I have another idea! :D What if there was a theme for the 18th century? I believe there's a lot that can be gleaned from that era, particularly for Pirates. I feel like the Pirate theme has sunk to monotony because of the lack of threats and interesting places to loot. After all, what's a pirate if there's no laws to break? That's where the good ol' Navy comes in– enhanced and memacing! This time, THEY have the bigger ship along with a state-of-the-art prison and competent soldiers! They're sent by the crown who dwells in a Versailles inspired castle. I already have plans for them!  ;D

These changes are necessary, as there's now a town to protect! The new town series can serve as a spiritual successor to both the Victorian and the Old Medieval houses. Of course their pieces are interchangeable for maximum customization. The town has a few different house designs to serve as either homes or occupational buildings, much like 6220 (shop with an awning). There are several insert options to choose from like: seamstress/tailor, doctor, baker, teacher, blacksmith, etc. The dressmaker would be my favorite, as their's a new system to customizing the full skirts I made. There's also the option of creating a market square with several stands to choose from. Lots of signs and shelves to use! However, civilians aren't the only ones looking at the merchandise! For the pirates have used disguises to infiltrate and rob! They even hid in giant barrels and boxes to sneak around.

The pirates this time around have taken a subtler approach to piracy. Their schooner has hidden places to hide smuggled goods and a brig below their leveled deck to stow prisoners, and a storage as well.

As you can see, I kind of went all out.  :-[
I have some art to illustrate how it all works....

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
Re: 18th century/ sneaky pirates line
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:45:39 »
Here are some designs of the new skirts I mentioned. They're inspired by none other than the Rococo period!  ;D A period I chose not only for the fashion, but because it was barely clutching the tail end of the Golden Age of Piracy. So it all ties up rather nicely!

Since the fashion of this era is reknown for its overindulgence and excessiveness, the first thing I knew was needed, was the ridiculous wigs from then. They have removable extensions on the sides and top of the base hair pieces. The powdered face and blush is another trait, but I think it's best for a select few to have them— lest they look all look like a gaggle of clowns. I figured the skirts could be either the normal skirts, or a smoother variant. That way, a rubber overskirt could fit over them and add more customization. You could mix and match! Of course new accessories and all that fun stuff to go on the hair, the body, the dress itself, etc, etc.

I considered a second, slimmer skirt to fit over the form made of rubber, but maybe it could clamp instead? I'm also second-guessing having the legs exposed like that. Should I just let the base model have the molded, skirted legs?  ???

Anywho, the models below are to just show the basic ideas I made. May or may not use all four models of the original full skirts for maximum fun.

Art:
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8522.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8523.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8524.jpg

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:57:16 »
I'd go broke if Playmobil had a fully developed 18th century theme. I don't collect pirates (usually), but an 18th century town would be dangerous.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:00:27 »
Those are gorgeous (ok, the painted faces DO look like clowns, but I guess that would be accurate! :P )

However, playmobil doesn't seem interested at all in doing a city, unfortunately..

(also, I would prefer regular klickys instead of speedos, but that may be just me :-[ )

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:57:01 »
Those are great designs, with great accessories and interchangeability! Geobra should definitely consider doing things like those, if not the buildings, market stalls and pirates-hiding-in-barrels. My daughters have had great fun with Polly Pocket over the years, which have a similar basis, with dolls to dress and accessorise!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:26:48 »
I'd go broke if Playmobil had a fully developed 18th century theme. I don't collect pirates (usually), but an 18th century town would be dangerous.

Same here! My downfall might be medieval civilians.  :love: Actually, I wish they had more civilian sets for many of their themes so the cooler sets stick out more. Oh how I miss the old Medieval houses.

Those are gorgeous (ok, the painted faces DO look like clowns, but I guess that would be accurate! :P )

However, playmobil doesn't seem interested at all in doing a city, unfortunately..

(also, I would prefer regular klickys instead of speedos, but that may be just me :-[ )

I'll admit that I was torn after some thinking, but it might be best to use the skirted legs that usually go under the full skirt. Maybe I can make it colored like an undergarment instead. Maybe it could even be a new mold altogether! :) And thank you tahra.

Those are great designs, with great accessories and interchangeability! Geobra should definitely consider doing things like those, if not the buildings, market stalls and pirates-hiding-in-barrels. My daughters have had great fun with Polly Pocket over the years, which have a similar basis, with dolls to dress and accessorise!

I have designs for the buildings and stalls too! As well as everything else...  :-[ Since Playmobil, like other companies these days is downsizing, I think their strongest point would be accessories. Which is why they'll be very fun to design!  ;D

And I had no idea Polly Pocket worked like that! :o It's been yeeeeears since I had her, and it wasn't for long.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:45:06 by Janilew »

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 17:08:28 »
That's where the good ol' Navy comes in– enhanced and memacing! This time, THEY have the bigger ship along with a state-of-the-art prison and competent soldiers!

You had me at this.  :)

The level of detail you put into imagining this XVIII century theme is nothing short of impressive. I particularly appreciate all the thought that went into the clothing: I'm more of a uniforms guy myself, but you can bet you'd find me switching skirts and trying out different wigs on those gorgeous klickies you designed. Your art looks brilliant, hope we'll see more of it!

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 13:18:52 »
Phew! I made my first initial concept for an 18th century castle.

https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CastleFrontViewSmaller-1-scaled.jpg

I decided to go for a gender neutral feel like in the olden days. It combines the princess' theme with the boy's Steck system. The color scheme was based off of good ol' castle 3019, and the design was inspired by French castles and architecture. The foliage is climbable by thieves and pirates  klickies to reach the window, and the top has a walkway for patrolling guards. This is just the front for now. I have plans to illustrate the inside, but I've worked long enough on this as is...  :-[ If anyone has any ideas on how to make this more interesting, let me know!  ;D

Also, a sneak peek of my first take on 18th century royalty.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 21:41:56 »
Gorgeous. Can we see the details too?   :love:

It combines the princess' theme with the boy's Steck system.

... is this an insult?

Since when is the Steck "boy's"?  When there WAS steck, playmobil (and probably others) didn't attempt to treat girls as mindless pink morons and the boys as violent fighting morons.... That is a LOT more recent than steck.

For anyone who has doubts, here is a very handy "infographic thing": How To Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls In One Easy Step (huffpost)
(someone should send this to playmobil...)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 22:02:18 »
Gorgeous. Can we see the details too?   :love:

... is this an insult?

Since when is the Steck "boy's"?  When there WAS steck, playmobil (and probably others) didn't attempt to treat girls as mindless pink morons and the boys as violent fighting morons.... That is a LOT more recent than steck.

For anyone who has doubts, here is a very handy "infographic thing": How To Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls In One Easy Step (huffpost)
(someone should send this to playmobil...)

Woah there! I meant no offense!   :o

I should've just said the older grey castles as they were Steck instead of "boy's". My apologies. When I said "girl's castle" I specifically meant 3019 (the lovely tan color with a blue roof   :love:). I understand how you may have thought I was engendering things, but I just miscommunicated a little. Sorry about that! Trust me, I hate the pink/blue epidemic as much as if not more than you. I love 5142 and 4250 deeply, but I could've done without the pink a bit. The rest of the princess and the fairy themes makes me want to weep from how entrenched they are; and the dark colors of the "boy" themes look more and more like Imaginex to me.

And yes! I do plan on adding the details later. Just gotta draw them

Thanks for that helpful image, I do try to operate under that as I'm designing, and Playmobil SHOULD staple it somewhere! ;D Take care!