Author Topic: New Member from the USA  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Klicky_Ghost

• Playmo Enthusiast
New Member from the USA
« on: May 09, 2021, 23:32:00 »
Hello PlaymoFriends!  :wave:

I have been lurking 'round these parts for a bit, and am so excited to finally join a group of positive and knowledgeable people! I was hesitant to join at first, because compared to many others, I could scarce be called a Playmobil "collector." Perhaps Playmobil afficianado? Playmobil enthusiast? But I am certainly hoping to expand my collection and to learn more! 

My love of Playmobil began in the summer of 1995 as a 7-year old (on the verge of turning 8). I got to travel along with my father and grandmother to stay for several weeks with my great-uncle in southern Germany, where my family is from. This trip was a magical experience in many different ways, and Playmobil played a part in that. My great-uncle had given me 100 Mark (a sizeable sum for a small child then) to spend while I was there. Having never been given an allowance or spending money before, I was at a loss as to what I would spend it on--that is, until one day I discovered Playmobil in one of the local shops.

As a kid who always had an interest in history--as well as a love of Grimm's fairy tales--I was instantly drawn to the world of Playmobil, particularly the Knights and Magic sets. I still own and cherish the several small sets I originally bought in Germany, including the King and his Court (3659), Merry Men's Hideaway (3626), Sorceress (3838), Wizard's Workshop (3839), and the Dragon (3840).

My parents were impressed by the quality and imagination of Playmobil as well, and were happy to indulge my interest for birthdays and holidays. Over the next few years, I added a few of the larger sets to my collection, including the Large King's Castle (3666),  Small Castle (3667), Baron's Battle Tower (3665), and Dragon's Temple (3841). I also acquired the Golden Nugget Saloon (3787), and inherited a rather complete Victorian Mansion (5300) from my sister.

I "lost interest" in Playmobil as I grew older, although I would regularly check out the website throughout this time to see what new products they were coming out with. Over the last few years, I have rekindled my love of Playmobil, and have started adding to my collection once more.

Looking forward to learning more from all of the wonderful people here and to sharing in the Playmo-love!  :love:
We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour for lunch, and then at two we're done.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: New Member from the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 23:38:29 »
Hi Klicky_Ghost!

Great to meet you here :) and I hope you will have a great time here :).
As for a collection; there will allways be people with larger (or smaller) collections as yours. In the end it's all about what you consider it to be.

I like to think that we share our collections and ideas here not judge them ;)

Sounds to me you played with some of the best sets :). Do you still have them?

All the best,

Mark (aka Count Bogro)
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Klicky_Ghost

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:39:15 »

I like to think that we share our collections and ideas here not judge them ;)

Sounds to me you played with some of the best sets :). Do you still have them?

All the best,

Mark (aka Count Bogro)

Hi CountBogro! You are right, of course; it's easy to look at some of the larger displays and think "now that's a real collection!" but size alone is never what matters. I love and appreciate all of the pieces that I own, and wouldn't trade them for the world! :love: I really did get to play with some of the best sets as a child (although I still have a few catalogues from the 90s, and can't look at all the fabulous circus sets without feeling like I missed out a little bit). I feel lucky to have played with a lot of the old Steck sets before they stopped being manufactured. And yes, I still own all of my old childhood sets. The only set that I have parted with is the Shell Gas Station (3437), mainly because I am not as interested in the "modern" (meaning non-historical) sets and wanted it to go to someone who would love and appreciate it.
We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour for lunch, and then at two we're done.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:06:15 »
Welcome to Playmofriends Klicky_Ghost, from Stroud in the UK!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:25:29 »
Welcome!

I also have a smallish collection with a historical focus.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:45:51 »
Welcome from Portugal :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 08:07:25 »
Welcome from the UK.  :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Online JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 20:40:04 »

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 08:11:06 »
Welcome from the UK :wave:

Offline Tiermann