Author Topic: "Rules" of Customization  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
"Rules" of Customization
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:14 »
Do you have rules on what you will or will not irreversibly customize? How do you decide if something is too old or too rare to tamper with?

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: "Rules" of Customization
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:44 »
I still have a hard time irreversibly customizing playmobil. I have painted 6 tudor houses when they first came out in the new colors. When they came out in red and then blue I wanted more variety so I painted some butter yellow. Then a few months later they released the yellow house.  :wall: Usually if I have dozens of something I find it easier to change them but still I have reservations.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:46:57 »
I'm trying to work up the courage to get into painting things. I don't have much in the way of duplicates, so it's usually either/or.

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:22 »
I'm trying to work up the courage to get into painting things. I don't have much in the way of duplicates, so it's usually either/or.

me too, but its difficult for me too. iam not very talented and i have a lot of stuff i can bin straight away. a friend told me to try to paint old stuff first to get a feeling. there is one guy and he does playmobil customs andhe is so amazing.. daniel yu is his name..

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=playmobil+de+plume&um=1&hl=de&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=JOBoBJtlj9ZZVM:&imgrefurl=http://www.toycutter.com/2009/11/playmobil-de-plumes-3a-toys.html&docid=QxL7O-F7X9cHhM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/SvcsEPdAjOI/AAAAAAAAC04/kRKQVEYWEz4/s400/deplume.jpg&w=400&h=340&ei=MR8aUOGyBofktQbLqIHQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=120&vpy=112&dur=2719&hovh=207&hovw=244&tx=114&ty=129&sig=105506064886158193581&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=168&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:73&biw=1280&bih=627

just google him and u will be amazed how he can paint.

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:09 »
Klickies: I keep one original duplicate for the case I would regret my custom
Buildings/accessories from within my theme: I keep one duplicate set for the case I would regret the custom/painting
Buildings/accessories from out my theme: I sometimes need to paint parts from out my theme, then I don't care about the original state. I painted two pirate lighthouses in grey to give them a more medieval look.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:23:26 »
Mike, wow! That's impressive. I was thinking more along the lines of just changing the color.

Kenc, those sound like good rules. The customs I'm considering at the moment are mostly to bring non-theme items into my theme.

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:54:48 »
try to get some old plastic stuff and try it out before u use ur playmobil... u can use anything out the garbage.. just to practice first

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:05 »
My only rule is TO NOT CUSTOMIZE UNIQUE ITEMS, ONLY REPEATED ONES AND SPARE PARTS.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:06:15 by tonguello »
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:04:06 »
My only rule is TO NOT CUSTOMIZE UNIQUE ITEMS, ONLY REPEATED ONES AND SPARE PARTS.   ;D

Wise words, Gaston.
I still feel funny about all the sawing, scraping and filling I do to make things fit during customization,  :-[  but I only sacrifice used parts that I get in parts lots on ebay.  I keep my original mansions in the shape they came in.
Joe
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:06:35 by tonguello »
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 15:10:33 »
I have the same rule as others have posted. I won't customise anything unless I have a complete set that is un-customised that contains whatever items I customise. So far I've only customised a few figures though, and I usually buy sets or DS orders with the intention to customise the figures within them.

Of course, I switch around parts like accessories, weapons, and armour without considering the completeness of sets though, since this does no irreversible customising. :)
~Pynedor~