Author Topic: Hello from USA's Desert  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Adam16bit

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • has been writing about toys for a long time
    • 16bit.com
Hello from USA's Desert
« on: July 02, 2021, 05:38:13 »
Hi! I've been lurking here for years... and also on a number of other forums.  I want to see the images embedded behind the membership veil so here I am!  I joined PCC at the very end so clearly, I am a bit of a procrastinator.  But I got in just in time for Don Quixote at least.

I've been writing about toys on the internet for a long time and write a bit about Playmobil on 16bit.com here and there for the past couple of decades.  I also am a buyer at an online toy store who handles the Playmobil, which is a job that pretty much fits the hobby nicely.  (We got to post some of the licensed sets up which you may have seen.  Are we allowed to buzz market? I'll find out.)

I've been getting the sets since I was a little kid - mostly animals and 1980s circus at the start, now it's a lot of licensed stuff and the general weirdness you only get from Playmobil's dumpster fires, ice dinosaurs, or glow in the dark lobsters.  My current holiest of molies to hunt down at some point is to finally cave and buy some Playmospace, but that may still be a while.
--Adam
16bit.com and elsewhere

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Hello from USA's Desert
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 08:00:44 »
Welcome from Portugal!

(will need to peek at your writings ;) )

As to playmospace... you know, don't leave for tomorrow what you can playmobuy today! :P

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:59 »
Welcome Adam16bit!

I would agree with tahra about getting hold of Playmospace; don't procrastinate, availability is only going to worsen as time goes by!

As to buzz marketing, there is no problem reviewing sets here on Playmofriends (or providing links to reviews elsewhere) and being enthusiastic about such sets, but promoting a specific store is probably not in keeping with the forum's policies. Having said that, we always like to hear about bargains!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:39:02 »
Welcome Adam, from the UK!

I'd not come across Playmospace: it sits in the window between my childhood and adult collecting. Apart from those boots - those boots! - the spacesuits reminded me a little of Space 1999.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your collection.

Steve.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 14:22:37 »
Welcome from the UK.  :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 22:26:58 »
Welcome from Oregon!
Playmospace is a great theme. They did such a great job with the 3536 spaceship in the Playmospace theme that they have never equalled it in subsequent space themes. Even the upcoming Enterprise,  though huge, still doesn't meet it in play value. Rotating command kiosk, science section with tools, sleep area, and 2 working proper airlocks, with retractable landing gear. One of the 2 best Playmobil sets of all time in my opinion.

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 23:36:10 »
One of the 2 best Playmobil sets of all time in my opinion.

I wonder what you think the other best set is Tim?

Does #9487 not have a similar spec to #3536?

Steve.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:58:16 »
Welcome fellow desert dweller!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 10:50:47 »
I wonder what you think the other best set is Tim?

I'm going to guess 3666!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 15:16:16 »
Welcome from the UK :wave: