Author Topic: Cleaning your Playmobil stuff  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
Cleaning your Playmobil stuff
« on: October 29, 2006, 17:29:35 »
With the introduction of the microsets now I finally got the opportunity to make an illustrative photo for my description about cleaning Playmobil items (click on the photo to read at my homepage in German & English or continue; the attachment shows the illustration in higher resolution).

Your never know exactly where the Playmobil® parts, you bought on flea markets or on eBay, come from. So the wish for cleaning these items itensively is obvious. There are several reason why you want to clean the toys: they became dusty while stored on the attic or placed in a shelf, somebody played outdoor with them, or the items have gone thru several childrens' mouths.
However the reasons are different, so different are the methods for cleaning. Some make it classical with water and soap, others swear on the steam cleaner or dishwascher. Personally I prever a washing machine. For this I put all the small parts into a closable laundry bag or chushion cover with zipper (!) before putting it into the machine. Washing will be done with normal washing powder at 30° C temperature. The result is totally satisfying and apart from one or two exceptions all the stickes kept in place. Directly after the washing program I dry each single item with a towel and afterwards put them for several hours on a radiator to let them dry from the inside too before I finally will store them in their Ziploc® bags.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Cleaning your Playmobil stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:25:12 »

That is so cool, Jochen ...

I really love how you illustrate your great instructions!

Thank you and all the best,
Richard

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
Re: Cleaning your Playmobil stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 15:31:57 »
That's really neat Jochen! I haven't seen any cleaning done in the washing machine before-what a brilliant idea!  :)

You are definitely right about the figures needed cleaning after being in several children's mouths. I wash all my used Playmobil figures and parts before I put them on eBay. I have found that using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser removes 95% of the scuff marks on pieces both old and new since some brand new parts have factory scuffs.