Author Topic: 5843 US fire truck  (Read 15314 times)

Offline Jahme88

• Klicky Hick
  • Playmo Enthusiast
    • My Myspace Page
Re: 5843 US fire truck
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 05:49:50 »
It's looking like their business plan involves limited low quality production in China for US Mass Market releases....which can sometimes show up later in other countries.   

But isn't everything else in the regular catalog still of the same quality we are used to, on the whole?  Certainly the overall quality of Playmobil will not suffer because of this ill-gotten US marketing plan.

If I purchased an item from any other toy company for my daughter and felt let down by the quality, I most likely would not write the company and complain.  Playmobil is different.  I collect it.  Those are MY toys. 

I complained and moaned up a storm about the painted Roman arms.  The problem was fixed although I ended up feeling like a nagging nerdy ninny in the end.

I do agree with your call to us collectors.....don't buy it.  Don't buy that wing-ding Dragon either.

But I just don't know if any of our protests to the company will do much in the end.  The bottom line is the bottom line.  If these sets are selling, that is enough to validate their business plan. 

We can hope though.
------------
Jamie Jo

"Peace, Love and Little Plastic People"

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 06:04:18 »

But I just don't know if any of our protests to the company will do much in the end.  The bottom line is the bottom line.  If these sets are selling, that is enough to validate their business plan. 

But the risk is it's short-term gains at the expense of long-term growth.  If PM gets associated with cheap, poor quality toys which do little to stimulate a child, then it will affect the core, higher income PM market, while if low cost releases aren't continued and expanded, then then low income market will get bored and shop elsewhere.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Jahme88

• Klicky Hick
  • Playmo Enthusiast
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:04 »
But the risk is it's short-term gains at the expense of long-term growth.  If PM gets associated with cheap, poor quality toys which do little to stimulate a child, then it will affect the core, higher income PM market, while if low cost releases aren't continued and expanded, then then low income market will get bored and shop elsewhere.

All true.  I guess that is the risk they are taking by producing these sub-par offerings.  The short-term gains must be pretty juicy. ::)

But they had to do something.....the higher end "educational" toy-store market is dying if not already dead here in the US.  This was their answer to marketing in this slowed economy, as sad as it is. :-\

I just don't think this type of junk will affect the rest of the regular line.  It seems like we have always gotten the cast-off "after thought" sets here in the US, except now it's more obvious and they have a production facility in China just for the US market.  :hmm:  Yay.
------------
Jamie Jo

"Peace, Love and Little Plastic People"

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 12:12:05 »
My thoughts about the MADE IN CHINA theory is that type of investment is looking like a broader market saturation endeavor! Why would a company such as Playmobil that has kept its quality control, & market value so closely watched through out its history, by its mother company, suddenly open a production plant for just one market place? Especially after the very recent China lead paint issue where Playmobil dealers were able to say up until now, that Playmobil has always been carefully manufactured in Europe? It seems they are shooting themselves in the foot right now of all times! My true concern is about the compromise of other Playmobil future theme items! If as a group that understands their quality, & doesn't bring to light that it is not in their best interests to pursue this marketing strategy, shedding wing dragons, & wanna be fire trucks may become the norm! Jahme88, you have proven that even 1 voice can make a difference, the Roman collectors no longer have painted armed figures to worry about! Job well done, you "nagging nerdy ninny" ;)!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 23:29:16 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 15:00:33 »
It's bombed on klickywelt - cheap production, the low point is probably reached about sum it up in the first three posts.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 16:44:20 »
Not to digress too far afield but I fear something even more insidious than firetruck wannabes. The tassel for the spear of the Barbarian Chief has me fearing that some accessories may be made in China! If the little pieces then are mixed in with regular specials and sets it will change the complexion of Playmobil as we know it (think soft plastic swords and scenery pieces). I do not feel this is something we can afford to be complacent about.

Gepetto

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 17:42:51 »
Well from the "Klickies Mouth" They said that do to the overwhelming work load at the other factories it was necessary to do . I guess they want to capitalize on the holiday shoppers . Mind you this is just what the reps are told to say to us. I will continue to email my complaints to the E-Commerce Manager at Playmobil USA . The squeky wheel gets the oil :hissyfit: ( or replaced :doh: )
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 02:21:15 »

I will continue to email my complaints to the E-Commerce Manager at Playmobil USA . The squeky wheel gets the oil :hissyfit: ( or replaced :doh: )

Rasputin, If you don't mind, let me know the email address you are corresponding to so I can help apply pressure!

Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 03:49:56 »
I do not have her Email but only her name . I do not know if it is OK to put it up here or not ? I do not want the spies to report back and it a negative mark for the collectors . Let me know what you think ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline extjmv

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • deMartina.com
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 07:15:38 »
This set was planned to be released in Spain, but in the last moment was retired due to lack of quality....