Author Topic: 4141 Go Cart Race  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Kelly

• Playmo Enthusiast
4141 Go Cart Race
« on: March 08, 2009, 18:15:22 »
Hi ya'll,

I bought this at TRU the other day because it is the only new city themed thing that they've had at my TRU in ages, and I am a sucker for modern themed stuff.  It was a really good value at only $11 and my kids love it because it  "does" something.  As you can see from the pictures, the go-carts look great, but more importantly, they work really well. 

We have had go-carts in the past (one of our older go-carts is pictured below) and I have always been impressed by how far they will roll - several feet after the end of the ramp if they are on a slick surface.

I plan on setting it up in front of my mansion along with the ice-cream vendor for a summer time tableau.

Kelly

Offline wonderland5

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: 4141 Go Cart Race
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:23:49 »
I also bought this the other day for my son--it is very fun and well engineered!

thanks Kelly for letting me tag along with your post!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:41:50 »
Thanks for the review, Kelly.  Though I won't buy it, it still looks a fun set to have.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:48:14 »
Thank you for the review. The interesting of this set is in my eyes, that they used different types of go-carts, although in Germany we would call this a "Seifenkiste" (soapbox).

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:55:51 »
Thank you for the review. The interesting of this set is in my eyes, that they used different types of go-carts, although in Germany we would call this a "Seifenkiste" (soapbox).

In the UK they used to be called that, too.  A go-kart really ought to have a small engine on the back.  However, the term go-kart seems to be being used more for the soapbox now, maybe because it sounds better and more exciting.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:49:07 »
Do the two carts go (down the slope) at the same speed and distance, or does one or other always win out?

I can imagine this being a lot of fun for two kids if there's a random element, but with one cart looking much heavier than the other, I infer there might be a difference in performance. Putting two identival carts (but different colours, as with your old one) looks fairer.

I used to play with Scalextric cars, and they put the same electric motor in everything, no matter the weight of the body, so the Mini would go faster than the Porsche!

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:43 »

I believe in the U.S., they used to be called "soapboxes" as well.  There used to be "Soapbox derbies" which are races between soapboxes.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:47 »
I believe in the U.S., they used to be called "soapboxes" as well.  There used to be "Soapbox derbies" which are races between soapboxes.

Same in the UK.  Th soapbox derby used to be something of a speciality with the Boy Scout movement.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:23 »

I can imagine this being a lot of fun for two kids if there's a random element, but with one cart looking much heavier than the other, I infer there might be a difference in performance. Putting two identival carts (but different colours, as with your old one) looks fairer.

But will weight affect acceleration down a slope where the vehicle has no motive power of it's own?  I think Galileo did some work on this and concluded not.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 22:32:40 »
I just saw this at TRU also but did not buy it just yet . Here in our neck of the woods those would be "soap box's" and if it had a motor it would be a "Go Cart" hence the "go" .

I used to play with Scalextric cars, and they put the same electric motor in everything, no matter the weight of the body, so the Mini would go faster than the Porsche!

Our favorite were the "mad hatter" and the "mini ha ha" they did the 360º's and were really fast . My kids love playing with the scalextric's to this day and well, so do I  :D
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: