Author Topic: How do you tell when a (fixed-wrist) klicky was manufactured?  (Read 5864 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: How do you tell when a (fixed-wrist) klicky was manufactured?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 09:57:15 »
The Marx ones feel very different to me than the German klickys of the same era, plastic feels lighter & more brittle (more like the feel of the 1974 ones, or maybe I'm imagining this!?).

And the faces on earlier Playpeople klickies seem to be embossed on, rather than merely printed on, which reduces their quality, IMO.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Bateman

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 17:49:52 »
Thak you Graham!
Such a detailled and fantastic research that you share with us.
Absolutely absorbing. Even if I collect Klickys for many years this is really unique and was so interesting to read and follow! :thanks:

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 17:55:44 »
And the faces on earlier Playpeople klickies seem to be embossed on, rather than merely printed on, which reduces their quality, IMO.

So the eye & mouth shape are indented into the head & then have screened eyes & mouth?

The 2 Playpeople I have have quite different faces weirdly, but I have another non-fixed hand guy that came with his face rubbed off & rather than just being printed on or the injected face, his face has the shape of his mouth & eyes indented into his face.   

I'm sure most members have seen all this stuff before, so apologies for annoying newb questions.  Even though I've been buying Playmobil sporadically since the 90's I haven't collected or paid attention IN DETAIL & now I am I have many questions & things to look into.  :lol:  8}

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 09:27:11 »
I'm not sure how the face was added to the earlier Playpeople klickies. In the worst cases, it looks as though the eyes and mouth were die-stamped on with a hot die. Maybe the pigment was added at the same time or later.

I'll find some examples and post pictures.

If the pigment was rubbed off, the outline of the eyes and mouth would still be visible if the die-stamping method had been used.

Don't apologise for being new here or asking lots of questions!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 09:05:31 »
I'm not sure how the face was added to the earlier Playpeople klickies. In the worst cases, it looks as though the eyes and mouth were die-stamped on with a hot die. Maybe the pigment was added at the same time or later.

I'll find some examples and post pictures.

If the pigment was rubbed off, the outline of the eyes and mouth would still be visible if the die-stamping method had been used.

I think I know what you mean from having seen more of them since, but look forward to the photos.  With the one I have whose face printing has worn off, the eyes & mouth outline is still there.  Definitely not as nice in quality, but interesting all the same (I'll have to find some interesting use for mr no-face ).