Author Topic: Hello from London  (Read 1086 times)

Offline CrimsonCleaver

• Playmo Fanatic
Hello from London
« on: January 02, 2023, 20:10:12 »
Hi All,

UK based and only got round to joining after being a forum viewer for around a year.

As a child I had quite a few western sets (unfortunately my mother gave them away!) and a pirate and a few redcoats.

My interest in Playmobil resurfaced with my son getting into them after I purchased a pirate duo pack from the middle of Lidl and started getting him pirate themed pieces as it also went well with my interest in Sea of Thieves (not that I play that much as have 2 kids now).

After over a year we’ve started to amass a number of sets, all in the Pirate theme.

I guess my real passion started when upon seeing the Playmobil Pirates movie on YouTube to surprise my son I took it upon myself to get as many of the pieces from the short film as possible (other than the ships as we already had 70411). This took a little bit of eBay hunting as a number of sets were discontinued (plus having to source from UK only to avoid import charges). That combined with using eBay and manuals to add a crane to the 70411 really kicked off spare part hunting and finding specific sets. The earlymodernplaymobil blog took me into spare part ordering directly with Playmobil to add to sets (wish I’d seen the blog before adding the crane as that would have saved time!).

As with other forum members space is an issue for me so this hobby hasn’t fully taken hold. I’d have got a load of the medieval/history houses in the sale end of last year before the prices went up. One of my favourite pieces is a custom house purchased from eBay which I think is a combination of the old museum and another house and is three floors with the two houses side by side with a joining walkway. I’ve since replaced the red roof with the blue ones from the Yellow House to make it look more like a “pirate town”. Will share a picture at a later date.

Overall there’s just something about Playmobil that most toys don’t have. That attention to detail, the room for children to add imagination…and brutally honest unlike the other more successful toy that’s always mentioned at the same time - it doesn’t fall apart when you play with it.

Looking forward to taking part in the forum and wishing you all a Happy New Year,
CrimsonCleaver

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Hello from London
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 21:02:27 »
A warm welcome from the North Yorkshire coast and thank you for the interesting introduction.

I flirted with the prate theme at one time.

G:\New pictures\Playmobil\Playmobil\playmoboard\
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 00:29:18 »
Welcome from Oregon USA!

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 02:20:19 »
Hello from a former Londoner; I lived in SE4 1YG.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:23 »
Welcome from Portugal!

Looking forward to those pics ;)

Offline CrimsonCleaver

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 09:48:09 »
Thanks all, here’s a photo of the town (apologies for lack of staging/imagination here just took a quick snap of it where it sits)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 10:05:40 »
Welcome from Stroud, Gloucestershire!
I share your frustration with Lego- at least Playmobil doesn't fall to bits.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline CrimsonCleaver

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 10:20:09 »
Thanks.

Yeah LEGO I enjoy building things with my son, and he’s definitely into the construction side, but he’s very young and play just becomes things fall apart.  Playmobil really has that over Lego and a big thing that got me purchasing more of it was that we have a younger child who has only just got out of the put-things-in-mouth phase.  Playmobil was really easy to not have the tiny accessories but still be playable.  It’s something I tell other parents too. Lego you’ll spend half your time just re-building it/tidying it up!

Another big attraction to it is where’s it’s mostly made and the quality of it.  Plus it has elements other toys don’t, the Pirate stronghold for example can be quite funny as a tavern element.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 10:23:22 »
Thanks all, here’s a photo of the town (apologies for lack of staging/imagination here just took a quick snap of it where it sits)

Steck is AMAZING.  :love: :love:

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 12:31:08 »
Welcome from the Netherlands!

That’s a nice steck building  :love:

I totally agree with the lego-playmobil difference. My 3 yo really enjoys building with lego but is really frustrated when it falls apart. Playing together is not possible because he is afraid my 1,5 yo destroys his creations. With playmobil they can play side by side creating scenes (putting children in bed, playing hospital or with the forrest animals). We do use some small parts like toothbrushes and toothpaste  ;)