Author Topic: Wondering if Geobra will follow LEGO (no recycled plastic)  (Read 3155 times)

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Wondering if Geobra will follow LEGO (no recycled plastic)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2023, 20:07:31 »
A product with the word 'wilt' in it doesn't suggest longevity. Why is it called this? Will we see rotopia and decaytopia in future? Because composting is not the same as recycling.

Wiltopia is something that mostly works for Germans. They had registered another name for it originally though: "Planimals", also a combo of "Planet" and "Animals".

As a side anecdote, Playmobil France was a bit in a panic when the Novelmore brand name was announced. Of course they read it in a bit of a French dialectic tongue and then it sounded nearly indistinguishable from "Nouvelle Mort".  French for "new death".

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2023, 04:21:31 »
I'm not worried about the durability of the hard plastic. It's the printing and the rubbery parts that will likely go first.

I also quite like the colours. It definitely looks a bit more 'sophisticated' than the regular line, so I could see it appealing to a certain set of parents (I once read an article that said that Playmobil's success was built upon making the sort of toys that middle class parents want their children to like  :lol:)
Gotta appeal to the one holding the cash, and there's definitely a market for classy educational toys.

As a side anecdote, Playmobil France was a bit in a panic when the Novelmore brand name was announced. Of course they read it in a bit of a French dialectic tongue and then it sounded nearly indistinguishable from "Nouvelle Mort".  French for "new death".
Not the worst name for a knight theme.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 08:56:05 »
I also quite like the colours. It definitely looks a bit more 'sophisticated' than the regular line, so I could see it appealing to a certain set of parents (I once read an article that said that Playmobil's success was built upon making the sort of toys that middle class parents want their children to like  :lol:)

And a lot of grandparents.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2023, 17:05:48 »
WILTopia
Nouvelle Mort

Is PM predicting its own demise?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2023, 18:27:51 »

Hahaha  :lol:
You'd THINK they'd make sure to ask someone who speaks the most common languages in Europe before deciding on these names.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2023, 20:50:28 »
Perhaps a new topic

Some creative/odd theme names

With the creative talent in these parts I’m quite sure there will be some gems

Willy-mobil  for a jeep/truck adventure theme

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2023, 23:35:40 »

Willy-mobil  for a jeep/truck adventure theme
There's a weed called 'wandering jew'. In more recent years that's been regarded as a problem name and some have called it 'wandering willy' instead which has its own set of problems but ones perhaps familiar with a previous American president with a penchant for podiums.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 01:46:09 »
That’s interesting that the “Wondering Jew”  is regarded  as a weed in your parts (are you in Germany perhaps)

In these parts (good ol USA) it’s a ornamental plant sold in the stores even though it’s so easy to propitiate

I’ve never heard it referred to as a “Wondering Willie”….but quite a silly name as well

I’d imagine someday Geobra will  have a gardening theme named….

Pedo-pals

They will be made of compressed dirt
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 06:16:19 »

it’s so easy to propitiate

What sort of offerings do you typically give it?

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2023, 06:21:21 »
 :lol:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: