Author Topic: WORST SET EVER?  (Read 25091 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: WORST SET EVER?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 02:51:24 »

I also like the bunny house. It looks like a "hobbit hole." I think that it would be perfect for fantasy stories.

It could be a home for fairies, dwarfs, hobbits or elfs.

see attachments.

With few exceptions, Playmobil collectors have a life culture a bit like hobbits, in what concerns photography: they don't take adventures ... I'd LOVE to see some adventures by some of the girls in the forum, that must probably have a fair few magic castles & fairy-tale stuff (as much as some boys have fire brigades & police ::) )

G.
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:38 »
Richard,

I see exactly your objections to this building - if we can dignify it with the name, having only two walls. A connection system that doesn't match anything, leaves empty slits visible at the corners, looks flimsier that either Steck or System-x, yet uses the horrid yellow connectors to hold the roof on.

The 5759 safari house, by comparison, would make a very nice beach hut or cabin in the woods - a useful multi-purpose building. So nice that as soon as I saw your picture I immediately bought one off eBay!

Back to the awful set, the klickies do have ugly clothing, and surely if you're planning to use a rifle, you need something camouflaged and warm, like a puffa jacket? Which klicky is planning to do the hunting? Then there’s the medical kit; is this to treat  the animals they failed to kill with the rifle?

From the presence of a chainsaw I infer that these people are park rangers or forestry workers of some sort, and in a remote location. I'd want more than one bunk and two walls to my cabin if I were one of them.

There was an older Playmobil system used for some Western buildings, which had hinged walls, so you could close them when not playing inside, and open them to access the interior. Is that too much for the modern designers?

I really hate the trapdoor. Playmo seem to put one of these in almost every building – why on earth do they want one in this Treehouse? Aren’t there enough ways to inadvertently exit the building already?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 14:55:35 »

Martin ...

Thank you for an excellent summation (I couldn't have said it better myself.) ...  :klickywink:

Let's hope Zirndorf is reading!

All the best my friend,
Richard

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 16:59:26 »
Oh! I completely misunderstood.
I thought the pieces in your photos all came from one set and this was what you were going to review.
It's very unlikely now that I think about it, but we've had some slightly strange assortments before. :lol:

I, too, misunderstood completely!  I must agree, Richard, that the tree-house set is not great, especially the U.S. version that lacks the "zip-wire" (why?!?!?)  I was lucky enough to get the European version at a local toy store (no clue as to why they were able stock it) and also a couple of the others at Target for $10 each on clearance (I like the big trees  :-[ .)

This could have been a great set, but you are right, the building is very poorly designed.   :'(

Thanks for the fun quiz!

- Anne

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 18:23:25 »

Hello, Anne ...

I, too, misunderstood completely!  I must agree, Richard, that the tree-house set is not great, especially the U.S. version that lacks the "zip-wire" (why?!?!?)  I was lucky enough to get the European version at a local toy store (no clue as to why they were able stock it) and also a couple of the others at Target for $10 each on clearance (I like the big trees :-[ .)

This could have been a great set, but you are right, the building is very poorly designed.   :'(

Wow ... only ten dollars? Great price!

I also like the trees and, of course, that wonderful landscape piece ...  :klickywink:

Too bad that I missed the Target clearance sale. I would have loved some more trees and landscape pieces.

Thanks for the fun quiz!

Hmmm ... think maybe I should do another?
Only this time I'll do better with the instructions and directions ...  :klickywink:

All the best my dear,
Richard

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 03:16:19 »

Don'_ worry about being perfect master Rich ... It has been fun enough. More than enough! That's what we like :)

Gus
Gus

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 02:36:55 »
Well fans, I've been reading your unhappiness with some of the sets and thought I would add a little unhappiness of my own.  I'm not saying that this is a "worst set" but I recently purchased the wedding tent/reception and I thought the tent seemed kind of flimsy and  the round table that is supposed to hold the wedding cake reminds me of the "Bobble head animals that ride in the back window of a car!  The base of the table was made of some kind of soft plastic that causes the table to wobble all over the place.  If you set the plates and cups on the table be prepared for a spill. 

There, now I feel better, I just hope the church will be well constructed and not follow the new plan that seems to be showing up.

Janice

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:31 »
I don't think the set is all that bad it contains some nice pieces.

The tree house construction may look weak but it has to be a light structure for the trees to support it. It would look a bit crazy had they put a heavy steck styled building on top of those trees it would be way out of proportion, unless it was built on top of large fir trees.

I agree that it isn't really designed for adult figures but the DS set being a bit smaller and less complicated would make a nice children's tree house.

I don't like the trap door in this set there is no need for it they should of thought about it a bit more. It would of been better if they had supported the rope ladder over the trap door and had part of it folded on top of the door so when the door was opened the ladder would fall down.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Playmofool

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 12:35:03 »
Still, this third system for building seems to become a standard one, as it seems to turn up again in the "Tierklinik"-series (4343; 4344) out this spring. In fact, it doesn't look that bad as animal cages.

As I haven't got the the sets myself, I'm not absolutely sure, but they definitely look compatible to the tree house structures, so probably we're going to get more of those.  :doh:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 15:32:43 »

Still, this third system for building seems to become a standard one, as it seems to turn up again in the "Tierklinik"-series (4343; 4344) out this spring. In fact, it doesn't look that bad as animal cages.

As I haven't got the the sets myself, I'm not absolutely sure, but they definitely look compatible to the tree house structures, so probably we're going to get more of those.  :
doh:

I think that you are absolutely correct, Simon ...

see attachments