Author Topic: Legio XXIII Ludensis  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
Re: Legio XXIII Ludensis
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 14:57:34 »
Superb !!!! reminds i need to set my romans one day , never done it , all together !!!

Great photos and army !!!  :love:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline BowlInJar

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 15:02:26 »
That's awesome!

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 06:53:14 »
I realized I have enough of the chainmail legionaries to make up a cohort of light infantry with clipei shields. I think I'll rearrange the whole thing.

The Roman officer without helmet is wearing a cape with -what's its name- gasp? I thought those only came in red and blue, not the darker blue Preatorian style. Which set is that one from? It suits perfect a Preatorian officer!

You mean the officer with the gold headband? That guy is from the much-coveted Commander's Tent 4273, which contains TWO Roman clicii (klickies) that appeared in no other sets. (The orange accented legionary that I am using as engineering troops is the other one.) (Oh and just to brag I own TWO unopened 4273s.)

His cape and belt are actually dark purple, not the dark blue of the Praetorians. That cape style came in black too, making four available colours, though unfortunately not white. Also note that his cingulum (the groin-protecting thing) was unique until it reappeared on the first Roman officer Figure, seen on the far left in this image:

In Dysprosia, Purple guy will be one of the emperor's two sons, the favored one who actually campaigns. The other son will be the guy in purple tunic and white toga, a profligate hedonist who nevertheless has designs on power.

Figure guy will be a grizzled campaigner.

The blue officer will be captain of the Praetorians. Red is the commander of the XXIII. Black is the officer from the ship, he came with a blue cape but I think he looks much better with a black one. He'll still be in charge of the naval detachment. Blue red and black will be peers - sort of like airforce, army and navy chief officers.

I've just realized I want to put a black belt on navy man. Anyone got a spare?

The guy with the undecorated armor is a junior tribune. I really wish they'd made a white Roman-style cape.

Black-and-red is cavalry officer, I think. Mean Eyebrows on the right hasn't got an identity yet.

All will have names.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:11:39 by Macruran »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:58:55 »
Looking good! And accurate as well.

Great that you'll be naming them all. I hope there's a story in there somewhere too  8-)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01:52 »
Having watched 'Life of Brian' (about 100 times) I find it hard to think about Romans without remembering such immortal lines as 'Romanii Eunt Domus' or 'It's a joke name sir, like Sillius Sodus or Bigus Di--us' or 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' or 'He -anks as high as anyone in Wome' or 'He promised me the known world.. as much Gold as I could eat..' or 'Wonderful race, the Romans' and many many more....

But the Roman Empire was pretty inspiring for more sober and historically accurate reasons,a s Macruaran has shown us!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 17:35:27 »
Great that you'll be naming them all. I hope there's a story in there somewhere too  8-)

There will be. I'm still sketching out the rudiments of the narrative in my mind. The current main holdup, apart from procrastination, is that I'm waiting to get my hands on a Nativity III, which will give me more civilians. I recently got the Saint Martin set which gave me one great civilian. Martin himself looks too gaudy to be a real Roman officer.

I've also got some Celts, Playgyptians, and "Jihadis" (grave robbers), as opponents.

Having watched 'Life of Brian' (about 100 times) I find it hard to think about Romans without remembering such immortal lines as 'Romanii Eunt Domus' or 'It's a joke name sir, like Sillius Sodus or Bigus Di--us' or 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' or 'He -anks as high as anyone in Wome' or 'He promised me the known world.. as much Gold as I could eat..' or 'Wonderful race, the Romans' and many many more....

But the Roman Empire was pretty inspiring for more sober and historically accurate reasons,a s Macruaran has shown us!

Life of Brian, what a masterpiece. I think that will be my Christmas movie this year. I do hope to weave some humour into my little worldlet. For example, the name of the province, Dysprosia Ulterior, is from the element dysprosium, which means..."hard to find". Ulterior = farther away. And Portus Proficiendum means "port forwarding", a little computer joke. I won't top the Pythons though! And unfortunately I can't use "Biggus D" as I want to keep this child-safe! :D

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 17:02:50 »
I can't use "Biggus D"

And that sort of thing is very puerile. But it still makes me laugh! Schoolboy humour. Your humour is much more refined and genteel, clever too.

He has a wife you know, Incontinentia...

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 00:51:31 »
Palin's facial expressions in that scene just slay me every time.