Author Topic: 4871 Review - Lion knight troop  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
Re: 4871 Review - Lion knight troop
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:41 »
Thank you very much and sorry to beat you to it Andrew, very interested to hear what you have to say once you have received yours. Also there are still a couple oc other sets in the series to review!

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 04:21:18 »
Thanks for the review, Gis. :)

I like the new heraldry a lot.  As with many of Playmobil's other medieval sets, this one is useful for parts.  Unfortunately, the Playmobil design team seldom succeeds when it comes to creating perfect individual klickies.  I do like the new plate armor legs, however, and I hope they make them in a variety of colors.  I also like the new plate armor breastplate.  As far as the cannon, it could work for the late middle ages and also for the conquistadors.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 17:15:17 »
Great review Gis. I think I would do the head cover in white for the horse. It would maintain the rhythm of the parti-colored coat. I would have to try both to be sure which I like best.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 17:35:31 »
I've personally never been a fan of Playmobil's new horse head covers, as they look odd to me.  I prefer to use a bridle and reins.  Of course I understand that many like them and Playmobil should have included a yellow one with this set.  It would be nice if Playmobil included both a head cover and a bridle and reins like they do in 4339 in future sets.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 21:25:35 »
Its only until now that I had the opportunity to go through the whole review .... sorry for being late but I am having rough time these days...

Anyways, I love the review and feedback, I'll agree with the legs and design flaws...I think I'll finally put my spare yellow split skirt of the 4666 special in good use!! As I did with my recent castle knights, there will be a few changes on my part as well!

I'll also agree with the monotone knight comment!!! At first I thought this was a red gryphon/eagle hed on the helmets...and I thought what the heck?  ??? ??? I like the fact that they are represending a feline animal but why red?  ??? ???

All and all I really enjoyed this detailed review and its feedback and I like to know what lies ahead of me ;D ;D ;D!!

Thank you Gis!!!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 07:37:17 »
Bought all the Lion Knights (except the castle) yesterday, and I must say I am more than pleasantly surprised. I will still do some basic customising to get them in order, but I think they're still very nice figures for the most part.

I like the new cannons, which can look really good in a lot of knight-related dioramas all the way up to the late middle-ages (for eg the Great Siege of Malta), but I would've loved PM to give us some more spare missiles. Two is a little bit too tight-fisted for my liking, even moreso considering that 1) the sets are not that cheap to start off with 2) until a few years ago we used to have more stuff for our cash (the roman scorpions with 4 missiles being a case in point).

I like the new shields too, especially with the new handle mechanism. However I still think PM should be using the Egyptian shields more, the way you customisers do. Also, I would like to have seen more variety shape-wise. The 5 shields I got yesterday all have the same shape! What else?

Some figures are very very pretty even without having to customise them. For example the two footsoldiers that come with the treasure set and the catapult thingy set respectively are basically very well-executed updates of the old knights from the 90's. Others could have been much better done: for example I do not particularly like any of the armoured knights in these sets, with the standard-bearing one with the black legs being particularly vile. I also do not like the knight-logoed chestplate on the cannon guy ... looks like a medieval football shirt to me.

The spangelhelm with the nose guard is one of my favourite things about this set, and had been a long time coming. However I would've liked the nose guard to be a bit longer. It would've looked better.

That's about it for now. I will be buying the baddies at a later date. Yesterday I also bought the new crib, which I might review, and you know ... such buys can really make a dent in your monthly budget.

::) ::) ::)
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:16 »

This is how I customised the knights I bought, just by swapping things around and using some spares I had lying around. The archer got his neck piece and his hair changed. The next three klickies are supposed to be infantry I guess - two of them got new legs (courtesy of the courageous knight special). The next one is a knight: I gave him the legs from the other knight in the set, and the horns from the evil polka dot knight from some years ago. The mounted knight, the horse headpiece is from an advent calendar (I think). The knight himself went thru some substantial changes: the legs from the knight special, and a whole new armour. Next two klickies are supposed to be guards. I removed that fugly red belt they had and instead gave them the classic dagger-at-the-back one recently used on the Masai warriors. The last klicky can perhaps be used as a cannoneer or something, although I must say I still hate that chestplate with a vengeance. I'll probably dismantle him again and use him for spares.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:33:42 by Bolingbroke »

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:07 »
Thanks for sharing what you have done with these. I havent had to much time yet to play around with them as I am prioritizing other projects.

These knights do have a lot of potential....and a lot of spare parts *grin*

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 14:20:51 »
Great job on the customs!! I love them!! Trully there's a lot you an do with them!!! I also see you have an interesting libraby... :lens:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 16:30:16 »
Thanks  :)

Yeah, that's the 'academic' section of my library  8} ;D