Author Topic: Ideas for Herr Brandstätter to mull over  (Read 21190 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Ideas for Herr Brandstätter to mull over
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 14:49:19 »
Playmobil maybe listening more than we think  ;)! I placed a USA DS order for 4 items yesterday, & when the order taker answered the call which still took a long while, I was immediately asked if the order was more than 10 part numbers, to which I replied no. The order taker said in the future if the order was a larger one, I would be required to place it via email service@playmobilusa.com or fax methods only to which I would receive a future response with availability & pricing! They are changing the process, but as with the past problem of lack of stock there still needs to be a major improvement!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 17:09:06 »
Yes!

We've been asked to realistically expand Martin's recommendations to include other practical suggestions.

Perhaps, we should ask Martin if he would oversee this?

Hi Richard,

very exciting news that our voting has boosted Herr Brandstatter to #1, and that this is helping to get Playmobil to at least listen to our ideas!

I'd love to expand on the ideas, though they seem pretty well summarised already. If Playmobil would like to contact me directly for more detail on the ideas I'll see what I can do, or we can all continue on the pinned thread.

Let's start with the spare parts service.

a) The Ersatzteile (Spare Parts) section that is currently only on the Playmobil.de site should be carried across to all the national sites, translated into the appropriate languages. That should allow anybody to immediately identify the part number of any number in any current set, and place an order by clicking on the appropriate part. It would be nice to add the figures which are currently NOT included in the ordering service, but we know can be identified and ordered by a single part number. Many people want to order figures in large numbers for armies etc. but still not buy a whole set.

This eliminates the feeling that everywhere outside Germany is being treated like a poor cousin, and streamlines the ordering process.

b) Having got this up and working for all countries, expand the service to include older sets for which parts are frequently being requested.  I realise this is a massive task, so it has to be done in stages.

Currently the "Ersatzteile Ritter" section has 11 sets from which parts can be ordered, while Playmodb has 202 Ritter sets listed. Extrapolating, we might suppose that only about 5% of the total data is currently in the German spare parts database. Clearly the older sets have to be added in a sensible order, and we wouldn't necessarily expect everything to be added. e.g. the oldest sets with bright silver armor may not be added as the parts are no longer able to be made.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 17:11:46 »
Playmobil maybe listening more than we think  ;)! I placed a USA DS order for 4 items yesterday, & when the order taker answered the call which still took a long while, I was immediately asked if the order was more than 10 part numbers, to which I replied no. The order taker said in the future if the order was a larger one, I would be required to place it via email service@playmobilusa.com or fax methods only to which I would receive a future response with availability & pricing! They are changing the process, but as with the past problem of lack of stock there still needs to be a major improvement!

Thanks for that information Bill! I've been meaning to ask for that email, as I'm sure to be ordering spare parts in a couple of months when I've settled into my new Playmoden, and I didn't fancy spending hours on the phone! I know someone posted the email address a while ago but I couldn't recall who when and where.

I always emailed my spares orders in the UK, and it saves time and eliminates a lot of possible human error. I hope they manage to make the parts available as well!

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 17:50:25 »
I think Martin's point about expanding the spare parts order system currently available in Germany would be terrific -- both geographically and in terms of the sets for which parts could be ordered. This would seem a relatively easy thing to do. Obviously they already have the technical infrastructure, it's simply a question of making the system more widely available and expand the coverage.

The biggest commitment of resource Playmobil would have to put in would be the staff to deal with all the requests. Servicing lots more orders for parts would be a very labour-intensive (=expensive) process. But I also think it's pretty clear that there are plenty of collectors/enthusiasts who would buy more parts (i.e., even more than they already do!) if the process were easier.

Some transparent way of getting ideas/input from the collector/enthusiast community about new themes, new sets, new parts would also be good, though quite how this could work I don't know. What about getting representative(s) from Playmobil to come on fora such as Playmofriends? Obviously we (and various other boards) have got the structures and 'population' in place already, so Playmobil wouldn't need to invest in building a forum of their own.

For a collector's club, and particularly exclusive sets: re-issuing the 'civilian' sets from older medieval themes would be very welcome  :lol:

And the idea that seems an absolute no-brainer to just about everybody here (and probably on most forums): bring back Steck. Duh.

Anyway, on the basis of what's been happening with the Focus voting and Playmobil's sudden(-ish) interest in engaging with the collector/enthusiast community: has the Cluetrain made a stop at Zirndorf (see http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=3147.msg37044#msg37044)? Sounds like it might have, and I really hope Geobra's management see fit to get on board!

AndrewL

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 19:26:28 »
There is one down fall in the USA distribution system. From what I have been able to understand the ownership of the US franchise in NJ controls all of the saturation of Playmobil throughout the USA! When there is a cash flow problem, it chokes the entire PM distribution supply line, & DS replenish parts orders. Hence the discussion several months ago regarding the lack of replenishment DS parts stock possibly becoming an annual event from Germany! If we expect better parts fulfillment in this country, there will need to be a process copying the UK DS that depends on living out of Playmobil's home offices back pocket by not stocking any parts in house, but placing frequent DS orders instead.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 20:34:27 »

Obviously, they adopted the german system. At german DS everything over 10 pieces has to be written down and ordered. They most prefer excel-sheets, by the way... ;)
In Germany, they argue that otherwise the hotline will be blocked for too long for other customers. So, this might be a good sign, they obviously _have_ growing traffic at the US-DS.  :D

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 21:36:54 »
b) Having got this up and working for all countries, expand the service to include older sets for which parts are frequently being requested.  I realise this is a massive task, so it has to be done in stages.

Currently the "Ersatzteile Ritter" section has 11 sets from which parts can be ordered, while Playmodb has 202 Ritter sets listed. Extrapolating, we might suppose that only about 5% of the total data is currently in the German spare parts database. Clearly the older sets have to be added in a sensible order, and we wouldn't necessarily expect everything to be added. e.g. the oldest sets with bright silver armor may not be added as the parts are no longer able to be made.

To be honest, I do strongly believe there will never be a DS service with all parts online.
I simply don't think this is realistic. :no:

It is very expensive for Playmobil to setup the machines, bring the production into run etc. such that it makes only sense to do so for producing at least like 10.000 pieces at once. As this typically is not the size of an DS order or much more of what ever would be ordered by the community, they would be insane if they would do this.

But, thinking this through, I come to the following ways for including the collectors club:  :!:
1. They could build up a most wanted list. For sets as well as for spare parts.
That way, even if pieces cant be ordered, DS got a vivid feedback of what the collectors really would like to have.
And they can react easily, releasing a DS set or even setting up a summer special, or in the best case a new theme.
2. The club could hold creative contests where either the community or playmobil itself would officially announce a winner part / figure / set  / theme or whatever category makes sense
Something like this would be a win/win situation. They could have a boost in popularity as people can really interact with the company. I think of all the brilliant customs I have seen already and I thought soo many times: Well, they really should make a set out of this!

To illustrate this, here just some examples:
Example 1: Lets just assume, they make some crazy comic like dragon knights with blinking laser sword cannon thingies and dragon head entrance doors and what so ever (thats what their survey resulted in for best marketing strategy). Then in the collectors community, the collectors customize cool and brilliant knights out of these crazy sets, like e.g. http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.0
These nice sets go up very high into the collectors custom charts (or whatever popularity measure) and officials are really impressed what nice stuff can be done using all these parts they already have in stock. So, with the next DS catalogue a new figure group is released: "3 Knights from the Dragonland" and a leader figure.
In this process, the figures are condensed to the really cool parts from the normal sets and become even more attractive to order.

Example 2: In the "all time favourites" section, the schooner (http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3055.htm) and the Merry Men's Feast (http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3627.htm) are by far the most popular sets. Well, they note that and decide to rerelease a civil ship on bases of the 3055. Not necessarily exactly the same but with a civil crew and sails and connectors that can be used for replacement in vintage 3055 ships. As for the merry men's feast, they decide to bring out a DS set: "medieval civilians" including a big barrel, two black monks and three civilians (winner of a civilian medieval contest)

Example 3: There is this cool software I described above and everyone can contribute buildings. There are no limits but different categories. The most important difference is that there are free-style creations, like three stores high naval stronghold consisting of 8 sets 3112 and uncountable other parts and there are box creations, like taking a hospital and a supermarket and design a discotheque out of it, and there are imaginary creations, like roman houses that use some special sysX-pieces that do not exist yet.
First, Playmobil could adopt these creations and produce sets like lego does already: 1 set, 3 buildings. They could also bundle extra parts and sell them together in the DS as an extension of set XXXX to free-style creation Y. Finally, they could take the fan created parts in the imaginary section (if they like them) and produce them. Again, they could sell them in DS (e.g. "roman rooftops and pillars")   
(As for building parts this holds for klicky accessiores or klickies... see exp.1)

Richard, this is exciting and I am looking forward to what is happening next. :)

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:48 »
(Is it still possible to vote? I accessed the site, but it's all in German =S ..)

(never mind, done it)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:48:35 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 16:25:09 »
3) Get the product into the public eye better at Museums. All Museums have toyshops, and Playmobil should be in those shops. Every collection starts with one set, so every set sold through any channel is a potential sales multiplier.

Expanding on this idea as requested via Richard, there have been To add to several blister packs that ought to have sold well if marketed to Museum gift shops. The blister packs have been a great addition to the Playmobil range, giving the buyer an immediate view of what they're getting, and keeping the cost down. As a child I could happily play with two figures for hours, so I think these would sell well individually, and with the correct figures, would sell well to collectors and people building armies.

5799 features a Union and a Confederate Soldier from the American Civil War. There are hundreds of Museums in the USA covering this subject, and they all have gift shops. Playmobil should be visiting these sites and promoting this one blister. Instead, as far as our community here at Playmofriends can discover, it has only ever been released in Brazil. Many of us would buy this blister in quantity if we could but find it.

5800 (also only ever seen in Brazil by a forum member) has a Roman Centurion and a Legionary. The problem with this choice is that it makes the pack useless for collectors, as we don't want a ratio of one officer to one private. A better choice for the second figure would be a Gaul, Viking (as a Goth) or some other opponent. Howevere the pack as is should have been marketed to the hundreds of Museums around the UK and Europe with Roman displays. I visited The British Museum in London while they were holding a major exhibition about a Roman Emperor, and they have a constant display about Ancient Rome, but not one Playmobil figure was in the shop. Other companies were selling their Roman Figures in the shop, so an opportunity has been overlooked. The add on packs 7877 amnd 7878 could easily be supplied to Museum shops in numbers, and then children could build their own Roman Army.

Any of the Pirate blisters could be promoted in the many Pirate-related Museums in the USA and the UK, but I have never seen one. 

My point is that Playmobil should be putting its product in the public eye whenever and wherever it can, and I see no evidence of this happening. I know from my own childhood how boring a Museum visit can be, and how we looked forward to the gift shop at the end of the trip. Other toy manufacturers like Papo and Schleich are able to get their (inferior) product to sell through these channels, so why is Geobra so poor at this?

Every toy collector, child or adult, starts from one experience, and as the introductions on this forum frequently show, one particular set can be the seed for a massive collection. Why should that collection be of (boring non-moving) Papo or Schleich figures when they could and should be Playmobil?

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 14:27:52 »
we tend to forget that, in the past, a lot of ideas were already "given" - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2137.0.
it is entirely my fault never to have sent our list to geobra.
we now seem to have another opportunity so, here it goes again with my appologies to all.

(packaging)
. better internal packaging, with supports preventing scratches on pieces;
. boxes and other packaging as small as possible to save on resources and to keep parts from shifting around inside;
. buckets with several figures, that could be re-used to store them all the time;

(contents)
. sets with several (more than 10) single figures from the same family-theme;
. a total absence of repeated figures through the sets of each theme;

(special sets)
. larger "collector-special-edition-sets" filled with components and details;
. re-released "collector-special-edition-sets" copying the most famous (and wanted) sets throughout playmobil's history;

(data-base)
. a number system depicting all individual parts of every set, included in an instructions booklet on every set;

(figures/construction)
. rotating torsos in figures;
. more figures with varied skin colors and face structure, without "caricatural" designs;
. extra-designs for hair-pieces, beards and moustaches (larger, curlier, pointier, etc.);
. adaptor pieces to connect all the various building systems with each other, such as steck to system X

(sets)
. sets with construction-oriented design, allowing several ways to assemble the same building.
. sets that are construction-compatible with one-another, permitting justapositions.

(shopping)
. an european (or worlwide) site with on-line shopping, including direct service sets;
. automated online direct service ordering for individual parts, not just the "add-ons" (worldwide);
. ability to order individual arms, legs, torsos, heads, hair, etc.
. playmobil-exclusive blue shops scattered all over the world, also with educational centers attached.

(extra)
. new theme-parks all over the world, with educational centers attached;
. playmobil-exclusive blue shops scattered all over the world, also with educational centers attached;
. decisions on new factories or suppliers determined by countries behaviour towards human-rights and child-labour.

i have left out all ideas concerning new sets or new families.
maybe all those ideas could be sent to geobra through a new on-line platform created inside playmobil's web site.
    honni soit qui mal y pense