Author Topic: Ideas for Herr Brandstätter to mull over  (Read 21164 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Ideas for Herr Brandstätter to mull over
« on: March 10, 2010, 17:31:24 »
Prompted by Richard's thread about voting for Brandstatter as a #1 CEO and entrepreneur, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread of ideas for Brandstatter to consider. Many of these ideas have been discussed here and elsewhere before, so I consider anything I suggest to have common authorship by the whole PF community.

1) Improve the non-German parts-ordering service by copying the Greman model, i..e it goes through the Playmobil website.

2) Allow anybody to order any part that has ever been made, and publish this data monthly on the website - total orders of a part number, and total orders received that month, and orders fulfilled. This can all be automated, so once the system is in place there is no extra work. I think this will promote extra orders as people see the service working and order things they might otherwise not have considered.

3) Get the product into the public eye better at Museums. All Museums have toyshops, and Playmobil should be in those shops. Every collection starts with one set, so every set sold through any channel is a potential sales multiplier.

4) Take advantage of predictable events of worldwide significance (e.g. The 2010 Winter Olympics) to promote the product.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Ideas for Herr Brandstätter to mull over
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 17:40:19 »

Very reasonable suggestions, Martin!

Let's get Playmobil voted number one and then let's talk to Zirndorf.

BTW, I just got another email from "Klicky Towers" and they are very excited about the possibility of our getting them voted as number one!

Hopefully, we can make it happen!
Richard

Click HERE for the post that Martin is discussing!

BTW, Martin ... Curious why you started your topic in the PFZ? IMHO, this is definitely Playmobil business!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 17:46:53 »

BTW, Martin ... Curious why you started your topic in the PFZ? IMHO, this is definitely Playmobil business!

True, I didn't think it fitted anywhere except the general News area, and I didn't want it to get buried there. Mods, feel free to move this anywhere more appropriate.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 18:07:27 »

True, I didn't think it fitted anywhere except the general News area, and I didn't want it to get buried there. Mods, feel free to move this anywhere more appropriate.

Martin, I thought that your ideas were so good that I "quoted" you in the "HELP PLAYMOBIL" topic!

I really think that if we can get Playmobil voted number one, that some of the things that you've mentioned here can happen!

Just checked the Spanish forum and they seem to be voting like crazy over there!

I would really like to lean on Geobra, so whatever you can do to help will be much appreciated!

All the best and thanks,
Richard

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 19:08:24 »
Those ideas all sound great Martin!
I don't have any ideas to help boost Playmo profit...
But I would like them to bring back a few things.

Like steck,
but if we could get any parts from any time as you have suggested,
the need for steck castles wouldn't be as great.

There are also the ancient themes.
Right now there are only Egyptians,
(We in america have almost a year to collect the Romans)

But if you only have one ancient group then noone will buy them.
Even though many of us collectors will still buy the Egyptians
because we have lots of Romans and other people for them to fight.

But for newer collectors, or kids who didn't get any Romans, why would they buy any?
There are no people for them to fight against!
Besides the Roman add ons, but I never knew there were "add ons" untill recently!
Why would kids or parents know about them?

And yes, Kids could play with Knights fighting Egyptians...
but Playmobil is supposed to be an educational toy!
If they have 15th century Knights fighting 1st century (or earlier) Egyptians
then they are not teaching anything.

I think that for any of the warring themes Playmobil should have two mini sets in 1.
Like for the Romans and Egyptians, or Crusaders and Muslims, or Napoleon vs England, Austria, or Russia.

They could have the Roman ship (#4276), the Roman troops (#4271), and the Roman Tent (#4273).
Along with the Egyptian Ship (#4241), the Egyptian soldiers (#4245), and the Egyptian Cariot (#4244).
They could offer the big things like the Pyramid and Collosium too.
Then they could have lots of add ons for us collectors.
Like houses, civilians, extra weapons and soldiers, and animals (like the camels or elephants).

Something simple like that would provide 2 people to fight each other in historical context.
I think they did not do well with the Romans
(if they didnt do well with the Romans)
because they only had a few add ons to fight them!

And they will not do well with the Egyptians for the same reason!
They just keep switching out ancient sets for different ones and they never match up.
They did the same thing I just suggested with the Knights,
they are already able to do what I am suggesting with different themes.

And adding little add ons like Greeks or Persians...
Or better yet, make another theme with Greeks and Persians,
the way I just suggested doing it!

Playmobil would be so much better if they only changed just a few things... :(
Well, thats my two cents worth... :2c:
I just hope Richards idea of voting for Branstatter works,
then all the things we say here may become true! :confetti:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 20:25:32 »
I really wish Playmobil would expand the U.S. market into more brick and mortar stores.  I get the fever to go on a hunt for PM and Target is the only store around.  I have a Toys R Us over an hour away and a great hobby store an hour and a half away, but sometimes I just want to run out and nab something.  I would settle for Target carrying WAY more of the line.  What sets they have varies so greatly throughout the year, kinda frustrating.  I see SO MANY crappy toy lines taking up alot of space in the Target Toy aisles.  Playmobil is given barely any room, but I'm sure this varies from store to store as well.  Target, GET MORE PLAYMOBIL!!!! >:(     
Just my rant.   Oh, and re-release the Western Train, and the station...and the water tower........and the windmill..............and the Saloon, yeah! :P

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:10:32 »
I really wish Playmobil would expand the U.S. market into more brick and mortar stores.  I get the fever to go on a hunt for PM and Target is the only store around.  I have a Toys R Us over an hour away and a great hobby store an hour and a half away, but sometimes I just want to run out and nab something.  I would settle for Target carrying WAY more of the line.  What sets they have varies so greatly throughout the year, kinda frustrating.  I see SO MANY crappy toy lines taking up alot of space in the Target Toy aisles.  Playmobil is given barely any room, but I'm sure this varies from store to store as well.  Target, GET MORE PLAYMOBIL!!!! >:(     
Just my rant.   Oh, and re-release the Western Train, and the station...and the water tower........and the windmill..............and the Saloon, yeah! :P

Sadly it seems that Target, and Fred Meyer along the West Coast, and Wal*Mart if they ever stock PM again, will only ever offer a handful of sets at a time, and never dedicate much shelf space to Playmobil. It may be that Geobra don't like trading with these big chains who have so much buying leverage to drive prices down, or maybe Playmobil is seen as an elite & expensive toy and not wanted by Target's customers?

TRU, for all their floorspace, only offer a very limited range in my local store. Happily for me both TRU and Target seem to get sets that aren't officially released anywhere else, and I can reach either store in a quarter of an hour's drive.

Since discovering Learning Palace here in Eugene I probably won't be visiting the other B&M shops that do stock a wider Playmobil range, because they also charge a higher price than buying direct from Playmobil's website. Learning Palace not only stock a good (though not the entire) range, they also seem to offer 15% off Playmobil's prices year round (with a coupon you get after every purchase), and do 2 or 3 sales a year with even more off.

Offline reylocann

• Playmo Fanatic
  • One can never have too many cats!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:01 »
I really wish Playmobil would expand the U.S. market into more brick and mortar stores.  I get the fever to go on a hunt for PM and Target is the only store around. 

:wave: el jefe!

When I had my brick and mortar store, I stocked the complete line of Playmobil.  Back then, Playmobil was just entering the mass market [Target, Toys R Us] and it hurt my sales!  It was very costly to maintain the level I did and even with my "preferred" status as a retailer, product was getting diverted to the big box stores. The big boxers would then offer the more popular pieces as "loss leaders" -below my cost-  and tank whatever hopes I had of clearing the shelves.   It was frustrating... I am not the least bit surprised that more and more  "Mom & Pops" are dropping the line - it's just too hard to compete! There are many specialty toy stores in my area that carry Playmobil but they pick and choose which pieces to carry and often charge more than suggested retail [to help offset shipping]. Realistically speaking, if I can get a set for $10 less at Target - that's where I will go!  

That being said, I could sell the bejesus out of Playmobil because I believed in the product. Problem was I would get folks hooked then they would find it cheaper elsewhere and the residuals from all my hard work went to the big boys! Back then there also was a separation of "mass market" and specialty. Each Christmas I could count on selling at least 10 Victorian Mansions. That isn't the case anymore.  To bring the brick and mortars back Playmobil needs to offer the specialty market "special" stock.  Go back to the way it was when they first entered the mass market.    Then you may see it popping up in smaller stores again.  

Playmobil used to be a "specialty" toy.  Recent comments in other threads about the decline of the appearance and quality of the product is evidence that Germany is now catering to the masses.  What I would like to see from them is a return to the "specialty" market with exclusive, high-quality, unique product.  

And that's my 2 cents  ;)

Rey

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. - Plato

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:13 »
Hello reylocann, thanks for your unique perspective.  I hope PM's quality doesn't go to #$% because they want to reach a bigger market.  I would much rather drive awhile to the mom and pop hobby shop than go across town to Target for subpar Playmobil. 

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:52 »
I have 2 local stores that sell Playmobil!
And that is not including the big stores, so I am happy! :yup:
The store a little farther away (but with WAAAY more playmobil) just restocked the other day...
and the owner is really nice.
He is a fan of Playmobil too, or seems like it.
To bad I blew the lot of my money on Romans trying to get enought befor they leave... :P
Otherwise I would have spent a lot on all the new stuff he had.
Needless to say I bout a few things anyway. :hehe:
Steck is BACK! <:>