Who is making the sets first and who is riding the shirt tail of the other

Playmobil is first
10 (58.8%)
Lego is first
1 (5.9%)
Total coincidence
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Who is copying whom Playmobil / Lego  (Read 7941 times)

Offline core

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Who is copying whom Playmobil / Lego
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:47:51 »
fwiw, Lego Pirates will be on indefinite hiatus from mid 2010 onwards:
http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=372

You could always pull up a couple of comparisons where Lego follows PM's lead (eg, in construction):

PM 3262 Electric Crane (2003)
LEGO Tower Crane http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7905-1 (2006)

PM 3263 Cement Truck (2003)
LEGO Cement Tuck http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7990-1 (2007)
-however, there was a simplified on released in 1985 http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6682-1

You can go to brickset's database and look up sets/themes, and when they were released by year (wished there was a similar site setup for PM items!), or what sets in each theme were release for any particular year.  I've just picked 2 that so happen to show PM's earlier introduction.

My interest in Lego has been mainly the Technic and Creator/City range, which is a little hard at times for a direct comparison with PM, theme-wise - for the boys we've given in a little and let them pursue the Star Wars range (not just a licensed product, THE licensed toy product! ack! what am I thinking!  ;D) - so with somewhat a foot in each boat, I can't help but notice that it is a little more than mere coincidence - I'll put it this way: there are quite a couple of times when our 9 year old would say something like "cool, Lego's finally got this (which PM has a similar product).

my 2 cents ...
Peter

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 04:14:31 »

You can go to brickset's database and look up sets/themes, and when they were released by year (wished there was a similar site setup for PM items!), or what sets in each theme were release for any particular year. 

http://www.playmobil.de/on/demandware.store/Sites-DE-Site/de_DE/Search-Show?cgid=ARCHIV

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:06:20 »
Hi Core  :elf:

Thanks, you seem to know a lot more than I do. One of our boys really likes Legos and we have a lot of it. I just do not like how I can not play with it and that has always kept me with Playmobil. I look at the catalogs with him to show interest in his interests and just keep seeing very similar sets.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:07 »
I understand the dimension restraint Gordon, but they could have incorporated the current design utilizing the roller door sections into the vehicle bay section & using an open interior as already being done, just design interior tracks for the doors to slide within.

They sure could, Bill, and someone on klickywelt has made their own version.  My reference to the 4819 building was because I had been thinking of buying some of these to make a fire station - sorry I didn't make my line of thought clear.  Of course, it's always possible to make one without the rear section of the building being used.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 13:52:14 »
They sure could, Bill, and someone on klickywelt has made their own version.  My reference to the 4819 building was because I had been thinking of buying some of these to make a fire station - sorry I didn't make my line of thought clear.  Of course, it's always possible to make one without the rear section of the building being used.

Using the front half would work for sure Gordon! In this country all I have ever seen is electric driven roll up doors, either glass or solid with small windows! BTW, if you find that custom station again, please let me know.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline vcrklicky

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 18:43:38 »
Hi  :elf:

Do we have any Lego collectors who know when a theme got introduced. If you take the Fantasy Knights, if Playmobils was introduced (what?) 1/2009 that puts it at a possible blueprint phase in 1/2006 ? (guessing here) so when did Legos come out and how long from print to shelf?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

I can't speak to the actual design phase of a whole new theme, but I could ask a LEGO Community Ambassor if they knew. I keep up to date on the new LEGO set news and when stuff gets leaked. I remember for the Summer 2009 LEGO lineup had leaks from it preliminary set/box designs back in August 2008. The images were pulled by TLG and we didn't see conformation of the designs until the Toy Industry Association (TIA) show in Feb 2009 with worldwide relase in AUG 2009. The sets started to appear on ebay :hissyfit: in April and May, perhaps taken from their packaging plant in Czechoslovakia and were on store shelves in NA by Late May 2009 (The "August" Release appears it mean it will be North America and EU 2 months earlier) 

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 07:10:46 »
but I could ask a LEGO Community Ambassor if they knew. I keep up to date on the new LEGO set news and when stuff gets leaked. I remember for the Summer 2009 LEGO lineup had leaks from it preliminary set/box designs back in August 2008. The images were pulled by TLG and we didn't see conformation of the designs until the Toy Industry Association (TIA) show in Feb 2009 with worldwide relase in AUG 2009. The sets started to appear on ebay :hissyfit: in April and May, perhaps taken from their packaging plant in Czechoslovakia and were on store shelves in NA by Late May 2009 (The "August" Release appears it mean it will be North America and EU 2 months earlier) 

Hi VCR Klicky  :elf:

Yes if you visit the site and do not mind asking  :wow:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline vcrklicky

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 21:42:44 »
http://gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego

• How long do they take to develop a theme, all the sets, start to finish?
Over the past few years we have been able to dramatically decrease the time it takes to develop and produce a new set. The average development period is now about 12 months from start to finish, down from 2-3 years previously.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 10:47:46 »
In 2004; during the Playmomeet in Zirndorf, we had a chat with a designer (I belief he was the head-designer; but I am not too sure about it anymore).
He did tell us that were designing two years ahead. Meaning that the themes and sets that were released in 2009 were designed in 2007.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 11:07:28 »
That's the same lead time I've always understood to be the case.  If anyone keeps old catalogues it would be interesting to see when, for example, the last of the old fire theme disappeared from the German catalogue.  I guess it would be 2006 or 2007.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”