General > Brainstorming For Playmobil

What is hot and what is not ?

(1/4) > >>

Rasputin:
Ok, current lines are always getting discussed as to how much we like or dislike the sets, themes or particular item from Playmobil. I do not remember if it was discussed here or on Playmoboard but it was stated that the Roman theme did not meet Playmobils sales expectations . Does anybody have more information on this subject ? What are the expectations ? How poorly did the Romans fare ? What currently does or did meet or exceed sales quotas to be considered a success ? I am not particularly interested in only the romans , it is just what triggered the question . i am more interested in all the themes and sales .

Martin Milner:

--- Quote from: Rasputin on November 24, 2008, 15:05:44 ---What are the expectations? How poorly did the Romans fare?

--- End quote ---

Interesting question, though I'm not sure anyone has the statistics outside Geobra.

If they had made even a teeny-tiny marketing effort along lines I've discussed elsewhere they might have sold more units, but Playmobil seem to have the attitude that their product will sell itself, and I think they're wrong. If nobody knows the product exists, it won't sell.

I discovered the Playmobil Romans purely by chance in August 2007, when I was taking a short-cut through a local department store through the toy section. If I had taken a different route that day, I would not have subsequently filled my spare room and loft with hundreds of sets and thousands of Playmobil figures.

I would be interested to know if they have different expectations for different lines and sets, since presumably similar sized sets all cost much the same to put together as ideas and manufacture. For example, though every household might buy one Santa Claus special, not many people want to build an army of Santas.

cachalote:
??? you made me wonder what is playmobil's ratio between money spent in production and money spent in advertising.
considering they don't spend any money in royalties (they should, if one looks at the new geisterpiraten / pirates of the caribbean sets) and have no franchising shops (although i would love to own one), maybe their profits should be huge.
they sold 420 000 000,00 (420 million) euros of clickies in 2007 (increasing by 12,5% their 2006 sales) but i don't know the value of its profits.
 :o one thing i know, and i find it amazing - the german market still guarantees 1/3 of the sales.
maybe if playmobil originated in a little country (like lego) the "what's hot and cold" question could be managed in a more "wordly" (instead of back-yard-dely) way.
 :) anyway, i hope the pirates will never run cold...

macgayver:
Hi Rasputin

It was on PMB and I wrote that
I sadly cannot give away my source or get deeper into your question

highlandcattle:

--- Quote from: cachalote on November 24, 2008, 23:49:01 ---
 :o one thing i know, and i find it amazing - the german market still guarantees 1/3 of the sales.
maybe if playmobil originated in a little country (like lego) the "what's hot and cold" question could be managed in a more "wordly" (instead of back-yard-dely) way.

--- End quote ---

Funny thing,I third of the sales from LEGO also come from germany. And of those 20% comes from adults who built things like this
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lar/shows/Lan-RailsOnWh-2008/dscn2940.jpg.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version