Author Topic: OJO, anyone ?  (Read 897 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
OJO, anyone ?
« on: May 08, 2023, 08:07:13 »
So, they grew on me....  and I got a couple.

https://www.playmobil.pt/on/demandware.store/Sites-PT-Site/pt_PT/Search-Show?q=ojo

Question is... HOW do you use them?

You put another pot in them, is that it?

I am confused.

I want to try having some sort of mint (I think it's called in english), and some other sort of...  something that can be eaten :P

Does someone actually have these and successfully planted something?  I need a how-to - for DUMMIES! :-[

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: OJO, anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 10:48:08 »
So, they grew on me....  and I got a couple.

https://www.playmobil.pt/on/demandware.store/Sites-PT-Site/pt_PT/Search-Show?q=ojo

Question is... HOW do you use them?

You put another pot in them, is that it?

I am confused.

I want to try having some sort of mint (I think it's called in english), and some other sort of...  something that can be eaten :P

Does someone actually have these and successfully planted something?  I need a how-to - for DUMMIES! :-[

Your're thinking of herbs - mint, thyme, oregano, parsley rosemary, that sort of thing.  Not all herbs are able to be grown in pots
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 12:41:09 »
Your're thinking of herbs - mint, thyme, oregano, parsley rosemary, that sort of thing.  Not all herbs are able to be grown in pots

Yes - the one I am planning to get does grow in pots (though the ojo is tiny) ...

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 18:01:46 »
I'm not the most avid gardner, but I think if the pot has a hole in the bottom, you can put the soil directly in the pot. Then you'd need a dish to go underneath - it will hold any excess water.
If the pot doesn't have a hole, you'd need to use a smaller plastic pot for the soil, and a thin layer of pebbles underneath, so the excess water can sit there.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 18:19:18 »
I'm not the most avid gardner, but I think if the pot has a hole in the bottom, you can put the soil directly in the pot. Then you'd need a dish to go underneath - it will hold any excess water.
If the pot doesn't have a hole, you'd need to use a smaller plastic pot for the soil, and a thin layer of pebbles underneath, so the excess water can sit there.

You don't want the soil to become waterlogged as the roots of the plant won't like it, and remember, many herbs grow in hot, dry countries. 

The hole in the bottom of the pot can become clogged by the wet soil, so put some pebbles in before the soil or put a broken piece of pottery (a bit of broken plant pot or broken saucer would do, but it needs to allow excess water to drain out of the hole) and, of course, stand the pot in a dish of some sort for the water to drain into.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 19:33:40 »
Thank you - but the ojo is SUPPOSED to have a water reservoir.. and the "inner pot" has a BIG hole.. it seemed to me I was supposed to stick the "fuse" thing in the bottom of the inner pot, and stick that one IN the ojo.. But I wasn't too convinced.

I am confused...

I assume you don't have an OJO, playmofire, birdie? 

Or I can just put them on a shelf with SOMETHING :-[

I thought this would be for dummies, but.. I guess I rate lower than that.

https://www.lechuza.de/promotion/ojo-ruby-pink/19041.html
https://media.lechuza.com/lechuza-planting-watering-instruction-ojo.pdf  - instructions

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 20:09:26 »
I think the whole point of them is that you don't need to put a plate underneath - the excess water goes into the pot and the watering system then deal with it.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 20:20:23 »
I have... 24 of them. A separate pot with the plant goes in the ojo. The plastic thingies with the rope go up into the bottom of the pot & the rope sucks up water from the ojo. You need what's called a "grow pot." These are the plastic pots you get when you buy a plant that have holes along the bottom. I got mine from a greenhouse.

My plants love'em. When set-up properly, the eyes are blue when the reservoir has water & turn brown when dry.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 20:29:20 »
I think the whole point of them is that you don't need to put a plate underneath - the excess water goes into the pot and the watering system then deal with it.

Right - the plate is the ojo

I have... 24 of them. A separate pot with the plant goes in the ojo. The plastic thingies with the rope go up into the bottom of the pot & the rope sucks up water from the ojo. You need what's called a "grow pot." These are the plastic pots you get when you buy a plant that have holes along the bottom. I got mine from a greenhouse.

My plants love'em. When set-up properly, the eyes are blue when the reservoir has water & turn brown when dry.

... TWENTY FOUR?! I will tell that to my wallet. Frequently and with great relish  :P

Thanks JLMatterer  - I will look for that...

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 22:45:13 »
Yes, 24. I wanted 4 of each design; I got them over a year or so whenever there was a sale. I have a rather rare plant from sub-tropical Mexico called "Queen of the Night Orchid Cactus." It only blooms at night, lives for years, & propagates easily. 12 of my pots are growing these.