Author Topic: Anybody know how to remedy wobbly camel saddles (old style)?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
My old style saddles are rather wobbly. The new ones fit much more tightly. See pics.

Anybody any ideas how to remedy that? (Apart from glueing?)
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Anybody know how to remedy wobbly camel saddles (old style)?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:48 »
Warming them slightly to make them a bit more flexible and then bending them inwards?  This might work if the saddles have loosened over time by being pushed on to hard.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 13:18:04 »
This is actually a great shot!!! Makes the klicky on the camel move naturally at the came'ls movement!!!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 13:42:55 »
Warming them slightly to make them a bit more flexible and then bending them inwards?  This might work if the saddles have loosened over time by being pushed on to hard.

I agree with Gordon! Use a hair dryer set on hot and lay the saddle on a wood or ceramic surface keeping it steady with an adorned leather glove. Do not let the appliance stay in one position for any extended time due to the plastic possibly melting from this action. Within a few moments depending on the amount of heat produced by the hair dryer, you should be able to squeeze the saddle sides together slightly to tighten them. Test fit the saddle while warm, & if it is tight enough, submerse in cold water to maintain the repaired position.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 14:53:49 »
Hot Glue?

It can be removed without damage if used sparingly.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 15:20:40 »
i believe these old camel  saddles where no to put a klicky on them ? i think i'am not tottally sure
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 15:55:08 »
I agree with Gordon! Use a hair dryer set on hot and lay the saddle on a wood or ceramic surface keeping it steady with an adorned leather glove. Do not let the appliance stay in one position for any extended time due to the plastic possibly melting from this action. Within a few moments depending on the amount of heat produced by the hair dryer, you should be able to squeeze the saddle sides together slightly to tighten them. Test fit the saddle while warm, & if it is tight enough, submerse in cold water to maintain the repaired position.

Thanks for mentioning the use of cold water, Bill, I remembered later that that was needed to make sure the saddle stayed in its new shape.

An alternative to a hair dryer is warm/hot water.

If glueing them on,  a two part epoxy resin can be used and allows the saddles to be taken off later without damage.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 22:04:16 »
This is actually a great shot!!! Makes the klicky on the camel move naturally at the came'ls movement!!!

;D There is indeed some truth in that, I can tell you.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 22:05:56 »
Gordon and Bill, thanks for that tip. Can't find our hairdryer now. Darn. I have one of these paint removers. I'll try that, when I'm feeling lucky.

I used to shape polystyrene with boiling water. Does that work on ABS too?
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 22:06:34 »
Hot Glue?

It can be removed without damage if used sparingly.

Thanks, that reminds me of a whole other question. I'll start a new thread for that.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman