Author Topic: 4654 - a new special pirate  (Read 7040 times)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
4654 - a new special pirate
« on: June 16, 2006, 15:30:44 »
 :) this will not be a surprise for most of you, I'm sure.
I just thought that a reminder would be a good idea - the release date is July.
I am always happy to see a new pirate comimg, although I am not sure if I like the color scheme of this new arrival
  ???
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
Re: 4654 - a new special pirate
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 15:52:40 »
I'm looking forward to this new pirate too  :D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 22:59:13 »
What do you think about the legs? Are they new or is it just because it's colored differently? Clearly an attempt to show stockings.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 23:12:59 »
I think the legs are new, cannot remember to have seen that kind of shoes before.

But you have a good point Tim, should not the legs have the same colour as the hands and face? Sailing around in Caribian waters would of course give the klicky a nice tan. And in those warm parts of the world, why would a pirate wear stockings? I did not know pirates cared that much about how they look  ;D

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
legs
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 00:13:23 »
although I am not familiar with the other playmofamilies (pirates is really my theme) I thing these legs come from a totally new plastic mould.

you are right about the "stockings" color - they look a bit odd when compared with the skin color of the clicky.

i would just like to point out 2 things, though:

- this pirate is not necessarily a caribbean one - there were pirates in many places in the world, even in the 18th century (the probable date for playmobil pirate theme).
portugal (my country) was still being attacked by algeria-based pirates by this time (many of them european renegades).

- some pirates liked to dress to impress, and many of them were wealthy privateers, opperating letter-of-marquee vessels.
they probably dressed just as nicely royal navy officers.

whatever their colors, dresses and shapes, i just hope that playmobil continues to make them - they are a superb theme

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 00:40:29 »
This guy looks very good to me - I have several on order already! :D I like the braided beard in brown, as well as a new pirate hat. Although, I would REALLY like to see the sword belt with the cartridges in another color than PINK! What is Playmobil thinking? :(
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 00:43:03 »
I like the new leg mold! Just because it's quite different to anything we've seen previously for this theme. ;)

The combination of colours in his outfit are a bit wild, but I'm sure parts of him could be used to make a wide variety of other great-looking pirates.  :yup:

And, of course, the hand-held compass is very cool! That's new too, isn't it??? :)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
cool and not so cool things
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 01:02:20 »
 ;Di agree with sylvia - the compass is cool.
i don't know if it is historically correct (i think that sailors could already use maritime compasses in those days, with a rotating dial instead of a rotating hand).

to explain the color scheme, i have a theory - this clicky designer was a man (color blindness afects mostly men).
  :P

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:58:20 »
The trousers seem a new style, too.  They reflect the shape of the skirt like trousers some sailors used to wear.

The stockings are a nice touch, better than knee length boots as they are safer.  Leather boots if hit by a bullet tended to fragment and split and be driven into the wound with the bullet and the bits of leather were often difficult or impossible to get out.  Material tended to split and could be easily pulled out, especially if it were silk, as naval officers or the better class or pirate would wear.   

Cachalote is quite right about pirates dressing well.  The successful ones would often pride themselves on the fashionableness and quality of their clothes, although sometimes they went over the top (the 17th/18th version of bling, I suppose).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 13:16:53 »
He is a nice one and I wondr if it's possible to convert his complass to a Viking's compass.
On a slightly different note - if you think he's great - wait till you see the other upcoming specials ...
... and then dusk came and brought despair.