Author Topic: Collecting Vs. Playing  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Collecting Vs. Playing
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:55 »
In answering altered3's welcome message, it occurred to me that maybe a major difference between Playmobil and something like Sylvanian Families is that the latter is primarily aimed at collecting (and thus an ever expanding "pocket money" range), while the former is intended for active play.

Is that a fair comment?

I know we all have Playmobil collections, and you can collect anything (I collect playing cards from around the world), but I wonder if the marketing strategy for Playmobil, which sometimes baffles us, is not aimed at people who buy their product and put it in sealed glass cabinets or dusty attic rooms.

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: Collecting Vs. Playing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 23:23:15 »
I'm sure of it, Martin. Playmobil main target still are children, this is clear to me. Maybe the best they try to do specifically to collectors (even so, not only) is Specials. (Not to tell relaunching old sets, this seems to be specifically to collectors ...)
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 23:33:22 »
I think it's very true that Playmobil targets various age groups. Although Playmobil was not popular in my country, & especially since I was too old to even recognize it when introduced, there are those of us that grew up with it, & when a classic, construction, fire department or new knight series is introduced, it sparks an adult obsession to start collecting again!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:36:37 »
Yes I think Playmo is definitely still geared to kids. That's a great strategy, if you stop attracting kids then your future collecting base gets smaller too.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:27 »
We seem to have got a bit off message, the premise wasn't whether Playmobil is targeting children, of course it is, but whether it is aimed at getting those children to play, or to collect.

A visit to any toyshop these days, or pretty much anytime in the last century, will show that some toys/games are intended to form some sort of collecting addiction. Take Topps Baseball Cards. There are games you can play with baseball cards, but mostly people buy them to try to complete a set. If you complete the 2008 set, it doesn't matter to the manufacturer because soon you have to start on the 2009 set.

I think Playmobil bucks this trend, because although they do keep refreshing and adding to old themes, such as the knights or pirates, I don't think this is so that children keep buying moree and more to try to complete a collection.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 13:42:44 »
I'm not sure that there is a clear distinction between collecting and playing, the two go together and are like the two sides of a coin in some ways - you cannot play unless you collect to a minimum degree and the more you collect the more you will tend to play with what you have collected.  There is the collector who does solely that, collects, but even they will usually display their collection in some way or view it in some way from time to time, their equivalent of playing with it.

Turning to Martin's comparison, the Sylvanian Families, I imagine that adults may collect these with display in mind but children buy them with play in mind.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 14:11:34 »

Let's face it folks ... we all seem to be suffering (in varying degrees) from some form of syllogomania which may or may not be associated with obesessive compulsive behavior.

In other words, (and, for whatever reason) when we see certain Playmobil items, we just seem to have to have them. We don't need them. It's not logical at all. We may never fully understand why we do it. And, it may not even be curable. So, perhaps we should just enjoy it ...  8}

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 15:24:59 »
I for one am just simply distracted by shiny objects and i do not resist it . The situation could now be getting better as the owner of our 3 large local toy stores is wanting to be my client on their real-estate holdings  :P
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 15:41:14 »

I for one am just simply distracted by shiny objects and i do not resist it . The situation could now be getting better as the owner of our 3 large local toy stores is wanting to be my client on their real-estate holdings  :P

Nice way to get your money back, Ras!  ... :)9

BTW, the Toyworks look like wonderful toy stores!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 20:20:34 »
I for one am just simply distracted by shiny objects and i do not resist it .

Hi Ras,

I have some hand mirrors and glass beads which I'll swap with you for your Playmobil collection.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”