Author Topic: Village of Elderslie, Renfrewshire circa 1175-1570.  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
Village of Elderslie, Renfrewshire circa 1175-1570.
« on: December 02, 2008, 21:02:06 »
No real story to this one, still experimenting and the pictures are a bit naff. I need a better camera for close ups.

Abbot Hamilton says if you are on your way to Paisley Abbey for a pilgrimage, why not stop at The Saracen's Head Inn in the lovely village of Elderslie, just seven miles west of the Abbey. Stop off at the historic tiny village that was the birthplace of Sir William Wallace and don't listen to the rubbish from Ayrshire people that Wallace was born in their county. As a Renfrewshire man himself, Abbot Hamilton claims Braveheart as one of his own.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Seriously though, there is no real record of where Wallace was born, but as a Renfrewshire lad the romantic in me hopes it was Elderslie. Paisley Abbey is the burial place of six Scottish kings and there is conjecture that Wallace may have been educated at the Abbey by Cluniac monks.

Abbot Hamilton.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 20:40:26 by Abbot Hamilton »
O brother where for art thou?

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Village of Elderslie, Renfrewshire circa 1175-1570.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 21:18:44 »
AAAAHHHHH  :love:! I miss the steck days :(! Although I've gotten used to the SYSTEM X, I used to have some of the timber houses back in the later 90's. A true perfection  ;D! Excellent photo story! It took me awhile to get the posting end of it  ???, but it was worth it  :P!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 21:51:36 »
Thanks Bill. I think the scroll may have been a tad too long! :lol: Maybe i will do seperate posts in future. Your stories actually motivated me to finally get going and start posting.  :wow:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 22:27:51 »
Beautiful pictures and set up, Father Abbot.

I like the boy chasing pigeons, and people are eating, drinking, and having a good time, not just killing each other as Playmobil seem to want them to do with the current Knights sets.

Also nice to see several women in the town, including a nun, and not the male domination we have in modern Knight sets. I wonder how many children today appreciate that monasteries, nunneries and priories were much more common before Henry VIII's cleansing.

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 22:50:13 »
Thanks for the feedback Martin.

I know what you mean about the current medieval sets. There are no civillians, women, tradespeople, peasants etc. That's probably the main reason why i have never bought any of the newer sets. Even the newer knights, the heraldry doesn't look as good as the old stuff.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 23:32:06 »
Thanks Bill. I think the scroll may have been a tad too long! :lol: Maybe i will do seperate posts in future. Your stories actually motivated me to finally get going and start posting.  :wow:

I wrestle with the say dilema about making stories too long, but it seems difficult knowing where to stop! I'm glad you are doing these stories! Even though I don't collect these themes  :-[, I enjoy watching how other people use all of the detail Playmobil provides in all series! There are so many small things in the pictures, it's just like looking at the big silver screen, but having to remember this is all based on 2 3/4" scale figures  :lol:! Excellent venture  :wow:! What ever you do, continue doing them! BTW thank you for using my stories as inspiration in your endeavor  :), it was my pleasure!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 23:45:38 »

No real story to this one, still experimenting and the pictures are a bit naff. I need a better camera for close ups.

Actually, IMHO, your photos are GREAT! They seem to capture the real flavour and colour of what I had always imagined Medieval times to be. Not bright and shiny, but a bit tarnished.

Life must have been quite difficult in those days. And, to be full of good cheer probably took some real effort on the part of the townspeople and the local brewery ...  :klickygrin:

Well done, Abbot!

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:06:20 »
Very Pretty pictures. I hope playmobil never ceases the production of these houses (in one form or another). Next to the trains they are my favorite playmo things.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:09:54 »
You've captured a lovely, peaceful medieval scene here.  Bravo!  You've got a lot of parts that many of us, myself included, would love to have.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:56:34 »
Thanks Richard, highlandcattle and Justindo. I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures and will be posting more soon.