Author Topic: Brexit Blues  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Re: Brexit Blues
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 15:43:40 »
If you have a German address there's nothing to stop you ordering through playmobil.de - I've certainly done it, and I you don't even need to use a different e-mail address AFAIK.

Some shipping companies have made the effort to continue to provide a service to customers in post-Brexit Europe. Others haven't.

I don't really think it's up to the rest of the world to pander to the curious decisions of the UK.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 16:20:53 »
They do charge for it!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 22:23:05 »
Just a little update. I have had an email exchange with a contact at customer service in the UK - I'm waiting on some missing parts. He replied:

We do plan on continuing the service as soon as we can. The issue is the shipping service we were previously using, now creates VAT issues when entering the UK from Germany, as a result of brexit. All of the spare parts orders were held in customs for a few weeks, then eventually returned back to Germany, with no tracking info. Therefore, we cannot ship using this service.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 09:07:25 »
Geobra may have to charge VAT on items sent to the UK (though its interesting they aren't doing this for sets purchased through Playmobil (UK) when these sets are also supplied from Germany). They are clearly reluctant to charge British customers VAT, but I would rather pay 20% extra than have no service.

'As soon as we can.' It has been two months now!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 15:33:51 »
Surely they were doing that anyway? Or does it mean that Brandstätter aren't registered for VAT in the UK?

My understanding is there are slightly different rules for goods located in the UK at the point of sale, which maybe explains the different treeatment between sets and spares.

Among other things, I bought set #6879 (Robber and Quadbike) in January and one of the wheel's was malformed, so I've been waiting for a replacement for four months and counting! And these aren't even sale items! :'(

It's hard not to get political (don't smite me Sylvia!)  ;D

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 18:04:22 »
In the past, any order I have placed with Playmobil (UK), whether it is an order from the website for sets and DS items, or a list of parts sent in by email, has been sent to me using UPS. I have always assumed (and I could be mistaken) all the shipments come from Germany. The parts orders certainly do. I thought the UK branch in Essex just processed web orders and parts orders which were filled from Germany. Now I think of it, that is probably wrong. Occasionally there are 'damaged box' sales by PM(UK). So there is perhaps a UK warehouse for current sets. Which destroys my argument that if Geobra can still supply sets without faffing around with customs duties, they should be able to sell spares. What I don't want to see is a UK-based spare parts depot, which is occasionally restocked from Germany, because this would lead to the same atrocious service experienced in North America!

About your 6879 malformed wheel, drbatesy, I have always found PM(UK) to be very good at supplying missing or defective parts free of charge. That would seem to fall outside the usual spare parts service, which is described as being for lost parts or for parts to complete secondhand sets. I don't see why you should have to wait. Perhaps you should ask for a complete replacement set?

I am a little uneasy with my own lack of restraint when describing the negative effects of Brexit on my Playmobil hobby, but I will say I have yet to find any positives.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 18:55:06 »
What I don't want to see is a UK-based spare parts depot, which is occasionally restocked from Germany, because this would lead to the same atrocious service experienced in North America!

That is exactly what you'll be getting, if you're lucky. The alternative is the Greek option: no spare part service, full stop, despite the existence of a playmobil.gr webshop.

I'm sorry, GrahamB and other friends in the UK.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 20:47:18 »
Sets are certainly sent from the UK so there must be stock somewhere here, and you can still buy from the shop, otherwise why the current 25% off sale?

Spares seem to be the problem and in part or in whole reading what has been said UPS is the source of it, presumably by adding VAT and/or customs duties to the parcel in the UK.  According to members of another model train forum, toys or parts thereof do not attract any custom duties.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 21:53:58 »
Our discusion today was a bit of a epiphany for me too, Graham - I've written to UK customer services to point out this isn't a sale, and also to HMRC to ask them to explain what's going on. (I'm actually waiting on seven miscellaneous bits).

What I did take positively from that email is that they intend to restore the full service at some point. Let me have my straw StJohn! 8}

I do notice that the various Playmobil websites often have different products for different prices with different sales. Just by way of example, #6899 is not available at .co.uk, is currently €19.99 at .de but is 20% off, €13.99 at .be. That says to me that each has its own stock of sets.

Steve.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 17:59:45 »
I think each country probably does have its own stock of sets for sale. I got that wrong before.

Drbatesy- I couldn't find 6899 at any of the playmobil online shops UK, Germany or Belgium. I'm a bit puzzled!

Playmofire- I checked the website  https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9503 where every commodity is listed and given a 10-digit code . Playmobil toys do attract import duty at 4% (as well as import VAT at 20%) because they come under the heading "Other construction sets and constructional toys of plastic" code 9503003500 or "Other toys put up in sets or outfits" code 9503007000. But "Electric trains, including tracks, signals and other accessories therefor; reduced-size (scale) model assembly kits" code 9503003000 are zero rated for import duty. Don't ask me why! Some toys are rated at 4%, others at 0%. The devil is in the detail!

But it also appears that a parcel of goods will only attract import duties if the value of the contents exceeds £135. That's a lot of spare parts! The problem I suspect is the 20% import VAT. Personally, I would like to be asked by Geobra if I am prepared to pay this (I am if it means I continue to get access to the Zirndorf Spare Parts service). Assuming they are prepared to collect it. I think it is an issue for Geobra, not UPS.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 18:12:53 by GrahamB »