Author Topic: Everdreamerz  (Read 11245 times)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
Re: Everdreamerz
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2020, 15:31:38 »
They're clearly trying to make the (oversized & unecessary) packaging part of the whole thing to own/collect/play with/keep etc, which feels a lot more about consumerism than play.  I mean, as a collector I can hardly comment :toot: but marketing it that way to kids.. 

The whole line feels as though that is underlined though - look at this character, look at all the STUFF they have, rather than some klickies who come with items that lead creative PLAY, this is klickies who have a bunch of stuff (with packaging that is part of that stuff rather than something to be discarded once the item is deboxed). 

It makes me sad that this is what marketing to girls has come to - I know they're trying to be aspirational with the whole "Everdreamerz" name & idea with all the characters personal interests & dreams, but I don't know.  It feels super gimmicky & shallow to me.

(I'm also not a fan of unboxing videos, or YouTube reviews).

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2020, 16:47:43 »
I think it's pretty clear from the way the boxes are and the styling that Everdreamerz is aimed squarely at the YouTube unboxing generation. There is a definite market segment out there for this, it's a real thing, and Playmobil is trying to capitalize on it. It's not our market segment, but it really exists. I happen to agree about wastefulness, but am less concerned with the cardboard layers. There isn't much more plastic bagging used than in a regular set. The amount used in regular sets though is to my mind excessive and a much bigger problem than how much recyclable cardboard is used in a box, or a little extra air.
Being a fan of anything food, I am loving the first series and all the stuff with it. The second doesn't look as good to me. It will be interesting to see if they are successful enough to make it through all 5 or if the theme disappears part way through.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2020, 16:56:39 »
T  I mean, as a collector I can hardly comment :toot:

That's why I don't really think I can get annoyed about the packaging. I mean, I'm an adult buying a child's toy so it can (for the bulk of the time) sit in a cardboard box because I want the pleasure of knowing I own it. It's pretty much peak consumerism

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2020, 18:02:48 »
That's why I don't really think I can get annoyed about the packaging. I mean, I'm an adult buying a child's toy so it can (for the bulk of the time) sit in a cardboard box because I want the pleasure of knowing I own it. It's pretty much peak consumerism

Yes, & I suppose, if I was to play Devil's advocate, that at least if the box is part of the whole thing to be owned/collected/played with, then at least it's not just going to be recycled or landfill, but I can still hope for more from toys aimed at young girls.  I guess the line is more in line with something like the original Pokemon cards (distinct characters, collectable sets) but it seems so distant from the original Playmobil sets, which feel so much more open to creative play. 

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2020, 21:25:50 »
There seems to be a marketing style which encourages children (or the adults who fund the children's habits) to collect toys for the sake of owning the whole collection, quite apart from playing with the toys. This is not a new idea, a 10 year old boy I knew over 20 years ago proudly showed me his model car collection, explaining he kept them in their original boxes, unplayed-with, because that would mean they kept their value.

It worries me that some marketing strategies exploit latent kleptomanic tendencies in humans. The most successful brands are the ones which become popular with great swathes of children, all trying to get the whole collection. If they are seen as 'cool' and desirable then a whole peer group will be collecting them. Monster High dolls were like this for one of my daughters, but she lacked the finance to really indulge in it. I think PM is trying to get Everdreamerz to become a popular, cool, collectable toy. If they are successful, that's a real gravy train right there...
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2020, 23:30:57 »
There seems to be a marketing style which encourages children (or the adults who fund the children's habits) to collect toys for the sake of owning the whole collection, quite apart from playing with the toys. This is not a new idea, a 10 year old boy I knew over 20 years ago proudly showed me his model car collection, explaining he kept them in their original boxes, unplayed-with, because that would mean they kept their value.

It worries me that some marketing strategies exploit latent kleptomanic tendencies in humans. The most successful brands are the ones which become popular with great swathes of children, all trying to get the whole collection. If they are seen as 'cool' and desirable then a whole peer group will be collecting them. Monster High dolls were like this for one of my daughters, but she lacked the finance to really indulge in it. I think PM is trying to get Everdreamerz to become a popular, cool, collectable toy. If they are successful, that's a real gravy train right there...

I'm not a fan of these kind of marketing strategies.  I worked in a comic book shop when the Pokemon card mania took off in the 90's so I guess I've seen more than my fair share of obsessed-pokecrazed kids.  I know companies want & need to make sales, but the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality is not what I equate with Playmobil, & I'd hope they'd find a better avenue to a gravy train, if there is one. 

Maybe I'm out of touch with what kids are into these days, but I don't look at the Everdreamerz line & think, oh, this is going to fly off the shelves, but I could be wrong (& having said all this, I do want the ones with the lime green hair  :wall: )

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2020, 04:48:00 »
This is not a new idea, a 10 year old boy I knew over 20 years ago proudly showed me his model car collection, explaining he kept them in their original boxes, unplayed-with, because that would mean they kept their value.

Wow, that's crazy. I can see it in an adult, but a child?!

(I've occasionally defended my compulsion to buy both Playmobil and Vinyl with a 'they retain there value', but even I know that's a meaningless argument because I'll (almost certainly) never sell them)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2020, 09:16:45 »
Maybe I'm out of touch with what kids are into these days

Ditto.

I think it's sad, stupid and disappointing. Maybe that's just me.

And actually, as a girl (well, I am not a boy!), insulting too. 

As to the packaging... it's beyond me. Don't these people have kids?! I mean.. I don't really have that issue. I am very sorry for the poor innocent animals who will be stuck with our mess.... but.. people who actually have kids (and are supposed to care for them).. shouldn't they be more careful about the mess we (as humans) make?

Oh well. There is no understanding them. And I would still like to know what they have against collectors in general, and foreign money.

I am still expecting someone to take them to court about the differences in the EU market.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2020, 09:47:20 »
Unboxing videos are a thing and can be done well. But when the company itself does the unboxing video with a super perky voiceover that constantly says things like "isn't that awesome?," it's going to come off as trying too hard. And what's with the "She's the smart one!" declaration? It's a group of girls, so there's can only be one smart one? We shouldn't promote the idea of intelligence being a "you have it or you don't" characteristic. There are different types of intelligence. If you read the descriptions, it's like they made a checklist of all the one-note personalities they thought they should cover (prima donna - check, athlete - check, etc.). And yes, the packaging is way over the top for what you actually get, and most of it is junk. Lots of hype, not enough bang.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2020, 08:30:11 »
Got the purple one, since the klicky we have has the wrong arms (2x left or right, can't remember)...

As to the unboxing, it sure was an experience. I will rant about it in a review, I suppose.

Spoilers - you know the stupid little boxes inside? EVERYTHING fits in ONE of them. That's how stupid these are.

:'( >:( :-\