Author Topic: Move Playmobil production to the USA  (Read 496 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Move Playmobil production to the USA
« on: March 01, 2024, 15:35:47 »
Seeing as the rapid deindustrialization of Germany seems to be accelerating I’d suggest moving the company to the USA. Porsche, Audi and BMW have begun the process. If the economic might of the German auto industry is not only looking into it but actively building new plants there , there must be some serious benefits for it.

Then I can finally get a factory tour and look into all the ways the Malta sellers get their hands on vast amounts of parts and klickies.

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Re: Move Playmobil production to the USA
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 06:43:39 »
I'm not sure that US government subsidies stretch to children's toys  :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I think if Playmobil had the sort of global ambitions that professes to, they would probably want to expand their manufacturing capabilities or streamline the range it offers, since they frequently have sets that aren't available (at least in the UK, maybe that's a Brexit issue).

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 16:06:18 »
I'm not sure that US government subsidies stretch to children's toys  :lol: :lol:

At this point it may just be wise to not even look for welfare handouts and just face the reality that it’s either “poop or get of the loo”

I’m just interested in the Survival of the Brandstätter Group
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:15:42 »
Some states do offer tax incentives for large companies willing to settle in and hire hundreds of locals.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 19:27:45 »
As time goes by, the opportunity to move what’s left of this German toy company is ever decreasing.

As one of Europe’s economic Titanics has not only hit the preverbal iceberg, but is taking on water as the orchestra plays Mozart, for heavens sake get on the limited life rafts and head to the masters shores in the mighty USA. Get out while you can

Don’t let hindsight catch you off guard

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 21:31:43 »
It would more likely move to Poland where business is cheaper or follow other German manufacturers and go to Mexico but I don't see the company collapsing just yet. Two big things I see as a problem are the huge background pieces which are standalone and limited to be a specific story type and over sized packaging.
The packaging is a problem as it limits the amount of space on a store shelf and is disappointing for a kid to open up a box and seeing the lack of content. It also makes postage in secondary markets very expensive which limits sales.
They need fi?ures sized packets in trays but with the image of the actual klicky inside so you can pick and choose. That would also go back to helping what new themes might be worth investing more in.
There is a whole industry revolving around micro-transactions in gaming, where you can end up spending a lot of money by spending a dollar here and there but regularly on in-game purchases. Playmobil should be pushing sales of smaller bagged klickys and accessory packs - tools, hats, belts etc sorted by themes.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 06:57:18 »
Yes, the big boxes are disappointing.
I also think the prices are a problem. I can’t imagine people paying the full price for the loose Wiltopia animals. €11 for an alligator, €11 for one baby elephant or €9 for one tiger. Right now I’m keeping an eye on the second hand websites. For €10 it’s possible to buy set 4828 with 2 zebras, a buffalo and baseplate with tree for example. It’s a nice idea to use recycled plastic, but not if it makes the sets so expensive.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 08:17:01 »
It’s a nice idea to use recycled plastic, but not if it makes the sets so expensive.

Don't forget the moronic "packaging" of some of those animals - what are the odds of finding a set in good condition after a while?

I swear I wonder if these people EVER EVER set foot in a toystore. Or ever bought anything.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 12:17:15 »
Don't forget the moronic "packaging" of some of those animals - what are the odds of finding a set in good condition after a while?

I swear I wonder if these people EVER EVER set foot in a toystore. Or ever bought anything.

Do you find that the packaging gets damaged or the toy gets damaged? I can see the packaging might be more vulnerable, though I've seen the displays and they looked fine

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 14:06:09 »
Do you find that the packaging gets damaged or the toy gets damaged? I can see the packaging might be more vulnerable, though I've seen the displays and they looked fine

Half the animal is out - what are the odds?  Gods know how messed up the boxes get, imagine like this...

And the package is not "straight" - a nightmare to pack or display - and much more prone to be damaged too.

I only bought a couple of new ones, I am avoiding those, along with the advents and those everwhatsit..

And btw, the ones I did get, there's a bunch of plastic bags and enough glue for the whole series - good luck opening it without damaging the package. 

Seriously, WHO thinks of these things? Who approves them?!

Mind boggles.