Author Topic: Drum ?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
Drum ?
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:00:42 »
Does anyone know the part(s) number(s) for this drum?  Is it still available from DS?  Thanks

Donmobil

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Drum ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:10:51 »
It's from an early set in the knights theme and almost certainly isn't available still from DS.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54:08 »
So it's a drum! I got a couple of those in a job lot of bits off eBay a couple of weeks back.

I thought they were giant tankards.

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:29:35 »
So it's a drum! I got a couple of those in a job lot of bits off eBay a couple of weeks back.

Remind me when i come over for a drink to NOT let me drive back home :**:

Rob

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:19:39 »

Hello, Don ...

Does anyone know the part(s) number(s) for this drum?  Is it still available from DS?  Thanks

It's from an early set in the knights theme and almost certainly isn't available still from DS.

Gordon is absolutely correct. To the best of my knowledge, the last time this wonderful drum appeared was in 1993 and as Gordon said, "... almost certainly isn't available still from DS."

In 1993, it was included in the two Steck-System Castle sets (3445 and 3450) and in one of my very favourite Playmobil sets ... The Old Nürnberg Guards (3482) see attachment.

Very, very funny, Martin! ... :)   ;D   :lol:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 15:21:49 »
I think it's very likely my drums came from that set, as I also got helmets, breastplates, shields, trumpets and some tabards (for the figures' backs) that also appear there. This explains why the breastplates seemed so loose - they are designed to be worn with a tabard behind as well.

I now see more clearly the progression of printing on the knights. First off, no printing. Then when they started, they printed on the backs (as in the quartered fleur-de-lys and crown, and the Yellow Serpent).

I must have bought set 3329 some years ago, before they started printing on the bodies, and the three figures I still have from this set are some of the oldest in my continuous possession. I also have the same figures from the 3669 set, but with the yellow serpent printing added.

So, when the printing was possible, tabards became unnecessary, and the breastplates were beefed up around the neck to make a tighter fit.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 19:08:56 »
So, when the printing was possible, tabards became unnecessary, and the breastplates were beefed up around the neck to make a tighter fit.

On the old jousting set, the knights wore a breastplate on front and back.  It's the same breastplate that the 2007 Courageous Knight wears.  Would you happen to have a photo of what you mean by a beefed up breastplate?  The looser fit of those tabards and breastplates doubled for allowing a cloak to be worn with the breastplate.

Are you actually referring to the bevier, the breastplate with the mouth piece that goes with the sallet helmet?

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 14:53:11 »
Now I compare the old shiny breastplate to a newer dull grey one, I guess there's not much in it. My impression, based on how tightly they fitted, was that the newer grey ones were slightly thicker, but maybe they're not.

The old "crome" ones may be looser because a) they've been bent over the years through enthusiastic play and b) the crome is wearing off a little, thus thinning and widening the area around the neck.

I'll try to do a pic, but I'm out tonight and going away for a few days holiday soon, so I might forget!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:14:01 »
I'll try to do a pic, but I'm out tonight and going away for a few days holiday soon, so I might forget!

More better, send pictures of your holiday!  For us in the states, seeing a British sidewalk can be an interesting cultural activity! 

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:27:30 »
More better, send pictures of your holiday!  For us in the states, seeing a British sidewalk can be an interesting cultural activity! 

Ditto !!!